What was one moment that changed an entire game?

Remove this Banner Ad

We were already a couple of goals or so up but I remember big Brad Ottens running down some pacey Port defender in the first quarter of the '07 GF and from there it was all one-way traffic.

2012 swan milking a 50m by half heartedly not catching Sam Mitchell’s return on the full.

No excuses for hawks. Had plenty of time left. But it was a huge momentum swing

images
23f8b8c929d9ed0cf59ef27c6a48bff6
092829-stephen-milne-jpg.417890

Trust me when you’ve seen your team lose the only grand finals you’ve watched them play and you’re two years out of watching one guy knock you out of the finals in 10 minutes of football, you have the thumb on the remote poised and ready no matter who you are playing.
Ain't that the truth!

Wasn't happy in 2022 until we were about 70 points up in the 3rd....

2004 Preliminary, Gehrig kicks his 100th goal, the crowd run on the ground, and Port get some momentum after the Saints dominating possession up to that stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free Kick Hawthorn game - Adel v Hawthorn Prelim Final 2012.

There were a stack of moments that ensured Hawthorn made the GF.

People cite the Mooney miss in the 08 grand final a lot, and that’s not without merit.

But Brad Ottens running into an open goal from about 30 out probably hurt us even more because we were really on the charge from memory at the time and building a bit of momentum and needed something to show for it
An underrated moment from that GF in terms of shifting momentum was the Buddy goal from 50 out near the boundary in the 3rd QTR, minutes after you guys had finally hit the front via an Ablett goal after dominating a good QTR and a bit. It was a bit before the rioli stuff on the wing and I feel it deflated your mobs confidence having done alot of hard work to hit the front only for us to answer almost straight away. He only kicked 2 that game did Bud but both were huge in the context of the game. Doesn't get talked about anywhere near as much as the Mooney miss, Dew's brilliance etc but it should be.

An underrated moment from that GF in terms of shifting momentum was the Buddy goal from 50 out near the boundary in the 3rd QTR, minutes after you guys had finally hit the front via an Ablett goal after dominating a good QTR and a bit. It was a bit before the rioli stuff on the wing and I feel it deflated your mobs confidence having done alot of hard work to hit the front only for us to answer almost straight away. He only kicked 2 that game did Bud but both were huge in the context of the game. Doesn't get talked about anywhere near as much as the Mooney miss, Dew's brilliance etc but it should be.

Yeah that’s a pretty good point actually

They were absolutely exceptional that year... 20/2 and literally only lost to geelong thr entire season... They were a powerhouse. Geelong just simply were marginally better.
There were 3 powerhouse teams. We were any other year good enough to at least make the GF. Probably the strongest top 3 that I can remember. Lost a total of 9 games between them before finals.

What changed the way I view the game. As in always being ready and waiting for someone to be robbed. Like Adelaide missing the 8 last year.
The incorrect calls in the last couple of minutes of play in the 2018 GF.

Rioli impeding Maynard- Clearly interferes with Maynard getting to the true drop of the ball, any argument against this is in bad faith.

Liam Ryan Mark- not a mark, go back and watch it. Doesn't control it and it just bounces on the ground. Shocking call. Even a biased eagle would have to agree.

Dom Sheed Play on- played on. Probably the lesser of the 3 as one could argue momentum carried him forward. Any one of these imo wrong decisions would have altered the result. The fact it was one after another at such a critical stage of the game is what makes it so much worse.

Last edited:
I'd argue that Milne's unwillingness to chase after it also changed the course of history.
Yeah the lack of urgency from him in such a big game was puzzling. I still don't get it. Maybe in the 2nd qtr of a round 7 game when you're either up or down by alot I'd understand. Probably thought it would bounce into his hand and by him slowing down would allow him time to drop it onto the left or stop and turn before he went through the points. Or just thought it was impossible amd gave up. Bad look either way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back