What was one moment that changed an entire game?

Remove this Banner Ad

For the Giants, two big ones.

Ward taken out in the 2016 final against the dogs.

Shiel taken high in the 2017 final against the Tigers
I would agree with this, I asked McCrae at a function, who was the biggest loss in that final, Roughead or Ward and he immediately said Ward.

Libba’s goal not being paid in 1997. They used the ARC to relive the kick and it showed it was a goal, along with the Crows cheer squad all dropping their heads after it went through.

Leo Barry, you star!

What changed the way I view the game. As in always being ready and waiting for someone to be robbed. Like Adelaide missing the 8 last year.
The incorrect calls in the last couple of minutes of play in the 2018 GF.

Rioli impeding Maynard- Clearly interferes with Maynard getting to the true drop of the ball, any argument against this is in bad faith.

Liam Ryan Mark- not a mark, go back and watch it. Doesn't control it and it just bounces on the ground. Shocking call. Even a biased eagle would have to agree.

Dom Sheed Play on- played on. Probably the lesser of the 3 as one could argue momentum carried him forward. Any one of these imo wrong decisions would have altered the result. The fact it was one after another at such a critical stage of the game is what makes it so much worse.
If Sheed had been a Collingwood player, there's an argument to suggest that Maynard was impeding Riloi before the ball got to the area.

And Ryan could've got a free for "taking the arms" if he hadn't been paid for the grab. Not that they would've been likely to pay one like that in a GF - the rules change for finals.

If Sheed had been a Collingwood player, there's an argument to suggest that Maynard was impeding Riloi before the ball got to the area.

And Ryan could've got a free for "taking the arms" if he hadn't been paid for the grab. Not that they would've been likely to pay one like that in a GF - the rules change for finals.

Maynard was fixated on Rioli, by the time he realized Sheed was there it was too late and he threw his arms up to try and milk the situation.

As you said though, umps weren't paying much those last few minutes. Howe was caught cold dropping the ball in a tackle in the goal square a few minutes later and the umps waved that play on as well.

But umps always get the blame, you can analyze it and see the lazy efforts of the Collingwood players in the lead up to the Sheed kick

-Hoskin-Elliot: Didn't lay a shepherd for Treloar, meant he had less time and his kick into the forward line was rushed
-De Goey: Didn't go with McGovern and jogged after him. Allowed McGovern to get an intercept mark and set up the play with no pressure
-Langdon: After Ryan's mark he tried to lay on top of the ball to slow down the play instead of getting to his feet. Ryan knocked the ball out from under him and was able to play on quickly unopposed as Langdon was still on the ground.
The one escapes the most criticism for his lack of defensive effort
-Pendlebury: Didn't track Sheed's run from the midfield as the nearest player to cover him, and left him free to drift into the forward line and take the mark

Last edited:
For the Giants, two big ones.

Ward taken out in the 2016 final against the dogs.

Shiel taken high in the 2017 final against the Tigers
In the 2016 PF, Roughead copping an eye injury from the footy in the face was set to be the turning point, but Ward's KO a few minutes later turned that around.

As much as it pains me to say this, Jordan Lewis' fumble which lead to Kennedy's goal in the first quarter of the 2018 PF between Melbourne and West Coast. That basically set the tone for the rest of the game.

Geelong's enigmatic 1994 team found itself in the Grand Final against minor premiers the West Coast Eagles thanks to some freak finals results and the poorly conceived McIntyre Final 8, and after an even first quarter it was clear in the second and third terms that the Cats had run their race, and that North Melbourne would have been a far worthier GF opponent for the Eagles.

Midway through the third quarter Geelong were hanging on by their fingernails, only some inaccuracy by the Eagles keeping the margin around 4 goals, and all but the youngest and most optimistic Cats fans knew it was just about over and the West Coast Eagles would be the 1994 AFL Premiers by a comfortable margin, but hopefully Geelong would be gallant in defeat and continue to fight it out to the end. Lots of Cats players were down on the day, Gary Ablett Senior played a shocker and could never get into the match and in the midfield in his last senior game Geelong captain Mark Bairstow was also having a very poor game.

It was at this stage that of the game that Bairstow gave away an undisciplined and cheap 50-meter-penalty. The Eagles took full advantage of this gift, Cats' players' heads dropped further, the team capitulated and from this point on West Coast slammed on 11 goals to 1, burying the demoralized Geelong by 80-points. If awarding retrospective Leon Davis Medals for Grand Finals prior to 2002, Mark Bairstow would collect this award for the 1994 Grand Final for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the Crows 'stance' in the grand final loss to richmond, lost the game before the game even started

This.

I actually feel for the players, genuinely.

I not sure why someone thought this would be a good idea. No one in a physical, tough, intimidatory type sport would see this and walk away being worried by it. Confused MAYBE??? That’s the BEST possible outcome that could eventuate from it: an opponent could go to a huddle saying what the hell was that.

Ultimately you can’t quantify what impact it had on their gameplay but it just had to have had some effect on their psychology.

the Crows 'stance' in the grand final loss to richmond, lost the game before the game even started

This.

I not sure why someone thought this would be a good idea. No one in a physical, tough, intimidatory type sport would see this and walk away being worried by it. Confused MAYBE??? That’s the BEST possible outcome that could eventuate from it: an opponent could go to a huddle saying what the hell was that.

Ultimately you can’t quantify what impact it had on their gameplay but it just had to have had some effect on their psychology.

The issue with this call is that it hadn't been an issue in the previous weeks when they thumped the Giants and your mob. We know now some players didn't like it (and who can blame them) but I think it was Jenkins himself who said they had to keep doing it because they were winning and it didn't impact on their performance. Crows also kicked the first 2 goals of the game so they were hardly sadsacking over a stance.

Maybe it's because after the first 2 minutes Richmond completely outplayed us? We were a team that didn't care how many anyone scored as we would score more. Richmond kept us to less than 50 pts. End of.

The issue with this call is that it hadn't been an issue in the previous weeks when they thumped the Giants and your mob. We know now some players didn't like it (and who can blame them) but I think it was Jenkins himself who said they had to keep doing it because they were winning and it didn't impact on their performance. Crows also kicked the first 2 goals of the game so they were hardly sadsacking over a stance.

Maybe it's because after the first 2 minutes Richmond completely outplayed us? We were a team that didn't care how many anyone scored as we would score more. Richmond kept us to less than 50 pts. End of.

No I get that, you didn’t LOSE because of it or anything like that and absolutely you HAD to keep doing it but I cannot imagine Richmond not going away and saying to themselves in their final address ‘these guys think they’re something: they’re not, and even if they hit us hard we are tougher than they are.’

As I said ultimately I just actually felt I little bit for your players that the psychology forced into them resulted in them doing it rather than having them arm in arm ready to go

An underrated moment from that GF in terms of shifting momentum was the Buddy goal from 50 out near the boundary in the 3rd QTR, minutes after you guys had finally hit the front via an Ablett goal after dominating a good QTR and a bit. It was a bit before the rioli stuff on the wing and I feel it deflated your mobs confidence having done alot of hard work to hit the front only for us to answer almost straight away. He only kicked 2 that game did Bud but both were huge in the context of the game. Doesn't get talked about anywhere near as much as the Mooney miss, Dew's brilliance etc but it should be.
Yup, good pick.
All year good opposition were putting players on the left side of the mark to pressure buddy and his arc kicking. Make him kick over the mark.
Before that 3rd qrt goal, Geelong defenders left space for him to swing around on his left, reduce the angle and distance.
There were plenty of them around, they had time and none of them were making an effort.
At that moment, I thought Geelong were done.

This.

Why it wasn’t called out for disrespecting the anthem I don’t know

Yup, good pick.
All year good opposition were putting players on the left side of the mark to pressure buddy and his arc kicking. Make him kick over the mark.
Before that 3rd qrt goal, Geelong defenders left space for him to swing around on his left, reduce the angle and distance.
There were plenty of them around, they had time and none of them were making an effort.
At that moment, I thought Geelong were done.

In hindsight, Geelong lost at the selection comittee

You were up by 10 points when that happened, and then kicked the next goal. We had actually kicked a goal and two points, then it happened.

Not sure it had the impact you think it did.
This is correct. I watched the game recently and it’s a myth that it swung the momentum. We had the momentum then it happened.

Bulldogs vs St Kilda, Round 6, 2015.

Dogs were cruising at roughly 50 points up on the stroke of half time before Clay Smith popped his ACL for the 3rd time a few seconds before the siren. The Bulldogs did get the first goal after half time but then fell apart, with St Kilda reeling in a 55 point deficit almost before the 3rd quarter was even over.

I've never witnessed a game turn so much as this one after a single incident.

Screenshot_20240124_071236_AFL.jpg

No I get that, you didn’t LOSE because of it or anything like that and absolutely you HAD to keep doing it but I cannot imagine Richmond not going away and saying to themselves in their final address ‘these guys think they’re something: they’re not, and even if they hit us hard we are tougher than they are.’

As I said ultimately I just actually felt I little bit for your players that the psychology forced into them resulted in them doing it rather than having them arm in arm ready to go

I'd be staggered if Giants and Cats didn't do the same thing though. Everything in footy that we take for granted as traditional stuff (including linking arms) is stuff that has been conditioned onto us.

I think the stance stuff would have had absolutely zero impact either way and it's just been a free hit for people who have the benefit of hindsight. Anyway, it's got to be a total waste of time to debate it either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back