Which Grand Final or Big Final was the '' one that got away '' For your Team?

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 for me. I know Geelong beat us both times in the H&A season but we were flying for most of it. We just seem to run out of gas towards the end. I reckon it was the one year that we were the best team (finished top with a very healthy %) and didn't win. It was gut wrenching. Although we had to fight back against West Coast in the QF and then Hawks had us in the PF until an amazing last quarter.

I know we finished top 2003 but I really wasn't confident against the LIons.

2002 was unexpected. We had no right to be there, beating Port in the QF was amazing. Whilst we lost the GF, I'll always have that game. We came close but again Brisbane were a powerhouse and I wasn't confident.

2018 I was disappointed but West Coast had wasted so many chances that it felt inevitable in the last quarter. We still have the PF which is the greatest game I've witnessed outside of the three premierships I've seen. That was Collingwoods version of the Blues PF win in 1999. We played our GF that day.

Yes Riewoldt had a huge year that season, one of his best and was great in that PF. From memory Dusty was severely hampered with a corky too, but that aside the Pies were brilliant, completely shell shocked us and we never recovered in the game.
I was left stunned in the first half. Just didn't expect it. Unfortunately for your team, Cox had one of the greatest marking games I've seen. He's never been able to replicate it although serviceable.

Hannebery answered this a week ago.
Unfortunately Hannebery must not know the rules, at no time did Easton Wood slide, he just got there first. Slow it down and watch it again. Swans lack of discipline on the day is translating to bad sportsmanship and whining.
We waited a bloody long time for a flag, then to have the extremely entitled, get everything from the AFL, we can never drop down the ladder because the Sydney market is fickle bullshit for years now.
The worst decision by far was Jason Johanisens overturned goal. It was never definitive so should have been a goal every day of the week.

I was left stunned in the first half. Just didn't expect it. Unfortunately for your team, Cox had one of the greatest marking games I've seen. He's never been able to replicate it although serviceable.
Yes I know haha. Oh well, everyone has a career best game and unfortunately for us his was against us in a knockout final :(

For Carlton it is 1994.

Beat eventual premier West Coast by 10 goals in the third last game to take top spot. Beat Richmond by 120 the following week.

Then just... stopped... blew top spot with a loss to non-finals Essendon. Lost by 5 goals to 7th placed Melbourne in finals wk 1. Lost by 5 goals to a Geelong team that was missing basically its whole midfield. Didn't even make the prelim.

That same team went 23-2 the following year and was just utterly dominant. It was just a mind boggling loss of form. Greg Williams missed the Essendon game but beyond that there wasnt really any injuries or issues.

Adding to this a similar situation in 1976 for us, also with no injuries or excuses.

Finished on top with a percentage that was the best by at least 15%.

Comfortably beat eventual premiers Hawthorn twice that season.

Beat eventual grand finalist North Melb at Arden St by 8 goals in the second last game of the season for our 9th win in a row.

Then like 1994..stopped. Drew with Footscray at Princes Park in the final round, lost the second semi to the hawks by about 3 goals and then lost to North in the prelim by 1 point after numerous missed shots at goal in the last few minutes.

Adding to this a similar situation in 1976 for us, also with no injuries or excuses.

Finished on top with a percentage that was the best by at least 15%.

Comfortably beat eventual premiers Hawthorn twice that season.

Beat eventual grand finalist North Melb at Arden St by 8 goals in the second last game of the season for our 9th win in a row.

Then like 1994..stopped. Drew with Footscray at Princes Park in the final round, lost the second semi to the hawks by about 3 goals and then lost to North in the prelim by 1 point after numerous missed shots at goal in the last few minutes.

Yeah, very similar. We also finished second in 1975 and crashed out of the finals in straight sets, while in 1977 we needed a win in either of the last two rounds to clinch finals and lost both.

Such a bizarre era. 9 coaches from 1975-1982, and yet we won 3 premierships in 4 years.

Jezza won the premiership and left. the next year Percy Jones went 17-5 in his first year coaching in 1980, but we crashed out of finals in straight sets so he got sacked, but stayed on the board. I doubt we see that again!

Jezza won the premiership and left. the next year Percy Jones went 17-5 in his first year coaching in 1980, but we crashed out of finals in straight sets so he got sacked, but stayed on the board. I doubt we see that again!

We were lucky that Hawthorn had a couple of their rare bad years in 1979 & 1980 otherwise we would have missed out on getting Parkin

2018 GF for Collingwood. Like Hawthorn 3 years earlier, the Magpies jumped the West Coast Eagles in the first quarter and led by 5 goals. But while the Hawks went right on with the job in 2015, never once allowing West Coast back into the match and eventually thrashing the Eagles by more than 8 goals in a very one-sided Grand Final, the Eagles steadily got back into and eventually narrowly won the 2018 premiership.

I always put 1972 GF into this category. Carlton and Richmond finished 1-2 on the ladder, 3 games clear of 3rd. Richmond beat Carlton twice in H&A. Drew the second semi, and Richmond comfortable won the replay. Carlton completely changed their ganme style for the GF - and it came off off. Percy Jones full-time first ruck (which he hadn't played all year), Nicholls permanent forward (kicked 6 - previous best for the year was 3). Add that to their amazing accuracy on the day (28.9).

It's one of those - 'play the game 10 times and Richmond win it 8 times'. Not this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Catters in 2019 and 2020 but let's be honest, Dusty took over and stole the show. It wasn't even a choke Dusty and Co were just that good. But no question Geelong were very, very good both seasons.

Brisbane would have blown us off the park, but if Trent Croad's poster had gone through for a goal and we beat Essendon in the 2001 preliminary final, I do wonder how that 'lowly' period of time looks historically as a Hawks supporter.

We lament our 17 year drought which yielded a near-merger and many bottom 4 finishes, but an unlikely Grand Final appearance bang in the middle of it probably elevates it in the mind somewhat.
Ahh...the Darrin Goldspink game.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ahh...the Darrin Goldspink game.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Darrin ‘I must fall all over myself and turn myself inside out to get the bummers over the line today’ Goldspink game.

It was like he was under orders that day.

Still rankles me to this day, that game. Brisbane PROBABLY would have handled us easily the week after, but you never know (look at 2008)…

* Issac Smith. 2 missed game winners vs Geelong. First flag was against them, and perhaps his last one was for them. Won a Normy as well.

Now what if he nailed that after the siren goal vs Geelong in 2016. I reckon The Hawkers beat Sydney in The Prelim then play The Doggies in the big one. If they had that week off they would have been more rested and would be gunning for 4 straight.

I wonder. A lot of if's and but's but you also get that impression that is was The Doggies destiny in 2016. Issac laid a lot of ghosts to rest in 2022 and good on him!

09 prelim. Probably would've got smacked by the Cats a week later anyway.

*21 GF. Nice lead with a bit of momentum half way through the 3rd then it completely went to s**t. Still hurts but would've hurt more if it was a real flag.

09 prelim. Probably would've got smacked by the Cats a week later anyway.

*21 GF. Nice lead with a bit of momentum half way through the 3rd then it completely went to s**t. Still hurts but would've hurt more if it was a real flag.
I love the whole ‘real’ flag s**t that WB supporters bang on about. Or supporters of other clubs that didn’t get it done. I have to keep checking to see if 18 teams played that year, all in a hub. Sure enough every time I check the answer is still the same.

21 didn’t get away from you, you don’t lose by 70+ points and it’s one that got away. Try the 1997 PF.

Unfortunately Hannebery must not know the rules, at no time did Easton Wood slide, he just got there first. Slow it down and watch it again. Swans lack of discipline on the day is translating to bad sportsmanship and whining.
We waited a bloody long time for a flag, then to have the extremely entitled, get everything from the AFL, we can never drop down the ladder because the Sydney market is fickle bullshit for years now.
The worst decision by far was Jason Johanisens overturned goal. It was never definitive so should have been a goal every day of the week.
Mate, what a load of dross. The umpiring was so bad the AFL had to come out and say sorry. Huge for Hannebery to come out and say that. He is just reinforcing what most people think.

1987 maybe? No idea how we’d have gone against Carlton though. I somewhat remember us being good in 1998 but we played North in a PF and they were just too good. I honestly can’t think of much for Melbourne. Maybe 22 and 23? Failed to address glaringly obvious forward deficiencies and the whole place seemed to implode after 2021.

Not a story about your ex. But a Flag that you felt was yours, but you let it slip.

From a Collingwood perspective I feel 2002 and 2018 we could have really had. Certainly 2018 leading for almost all of the game only to give up that goal to Sheed at the end. The Eagles finished the better side to be fair and missed several opportunities leading up to that moment. But the start we had and being up in the last until the Sheed kick, one we let slip for sure. 2002 was also there for the taking and could have gone either way. But The Lions just had that little bit more in them. Voss and Lappin were immense and Aka's goal at the end, freakish.

Which big finals match is one that you felt really slipped out of your teams hands?

Que Mick McGuane jokes here.

Interesting, I would have thought 2003 was more the one that got away. Pies finished 2nd on the ladder after the H&A, beat the Lions convincingly in the first final, easy prelim, but just didn't show on the day that mattered. Rocca was a huge out. I see 2002 more of a "almost snatched it" moment, rather than we should have won it.

The Catters in 2019 and 2020 but let's be honest, Dusty took over and stole the show. It wasn't even a choke Dusty and Co were just that good. But no question Geelong were very, very good both seasons.
I agree with this, the obvious answer for Cats fans is 08 but truly we had those games in hand in 19 and 20 at half time.

Then got ripped apart by Dusty and Lynch in 19 and Dusty by himself in 20.

Had Geelong capitalized on its chances more early and build a more sizable lead they might have been able to hold on. But in both games were wasteful leaving the door open for Dusty’s heroics.

* Issac Smith. 2 missed game winners vs Geelong. First flag was against them, and perhaps his last one was for them. Won a Normy as well.

Now what if he nailed that after the siren goal vs Geelong in 2016. I reckon The Hawkers beat Sydney in The Prelim then play The Doggies in the big one. If they had that week off they would have been more rested and would be gunning for 4 straight.

I wonder. A lot of if's and but's but you also get that impression that is was The Doggies destiny in 2016. Issac laid a lot of ghosts to rest in 2022 and good on him!
I don’t know about that one man. I think Issac missing was the best thing that ever happened to the Dogs.

To this day I remain confident Geelong would have accounted for them in a Semi.

Geelong has a clear record (except for 14) of backing up after a qualifying final loss. Also they had beaten the dog’s comfortable twice that year already and the previous 9 times they had played.

Yeah, very similar. We also finished second in 1975 and crashed out of the finals in straight sets, while in 1977 we needed a win in either of the last two rounds to clinch finals and lost both.

Such a bizarre era. 9 coaches from 1975-1982, and yet we won 3 premierships in 4 years.

I remember Carlton were not even favorites in the 1979 2nd semi because of their past finals records. Out in straight sets 1975, 1976 and 1978.

Then in 1980 it happened again.

I don’t know about that one man. I think Issac missing was the best thing that ever happened to the Dogs.

To this day I remain confident Geelong would have accounted for them in a Semi.

Geelong has a clear record (except for 14) of backing up after a qualifying final loss. Also they had beaten the dog’s comfortable twice that year already and the previous 9 times they had played.
Fair points, although Libba & Macrae going down made a huge difference in the H&A game late in the year at Geelong. Dangerfield got off the leash after that and went nuts.

97 and 2009 are obvious ones for the Dogs and it’s probably for 2 finals in 09. Fell asleep in the 1st quarter, but come hard late in the game vs the Cats. Geez we missed some chances in the last quarter of that.

08 Prelim should’ve been a lot closer too.

I don’t really buy the 2021 missed chance. Had a great finals run, but if it was pretty much individual brilliance from Bont & Treloar keeping us in the GF.

Too many others went missing and the clearly the better side won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back