The 2023 Grand Final vs The 1993 Grand Final - 30 Years on

Remove this Banner Ad

I was referring to the unsuccssful Geelong sides from recent years 2021, 2020, 2019 etc, which you seemed to compare (indirectly) with the 2022 side. You were more or less implying that the 2022 side was no better than those years, but just got lucky if I'm not mistaken.
They had a burst of good form in 2022, and benefitted from all of the other contenders being less consistent or lucky with injuries than in the years either side of the flag. There hasn't been a side as good as the Tigers at their best since they took out 2019, the only team worthy of such a ranking since we were blessed with the five elite teams from 2007-14, maybe 15...and right now we're in a lull. Every premiership is deserved, every fan gets to celebrate every time, that's cool and you should be telling every knocker to gagf (!), but the thread rates different years against each other, and no, every season is not equal in standard. It's not an exact science - I tipped the Cats fall this year, was not convinced by them one iota, but I also said something similar about Collingwood...!

I thought this was going to be which years were the weakest grand final players in recent history.

That Essendon team got smashed by hawthorn late in 1992
Yeah they did but that's not quite right. There were quite a few changes to the 22.

I was referring to the unsuccssful Geelong sides from recent years 2021, 2020, 2019 etc, which you seemed to compare (indirectly) with the 2022 side. You were more or less implying that the 2022 side was no better than those years, but just got lucky if I'm not mistaken.
Didn’t you know that weak teams win 16 games in a row on their way to a flag all the time!

Didn’t you know that weak teams win 16 games in a row on their way to a flag all the time!
Never said they were weak, I just said they weren't as good as the dynasties, including their own side, from a decade earlier. And if the OP, some millennial Collingwood supporter, gets to make a blanket statement saying the quality of footy is better than ever before because his team won it, then I get to call bullshit...

Ricky Olarenshaw… a true superstar forever etched in the glorious history of EFC GF victories. A teenager who would’ve won the Norm Smith medal in 93’ if it wasn’t for Longy putting on a clinic.

Fellow teenagers Mark Mercuri
and Joe Misiti also destroyed the pathetic all star Carlton losers on the day.
Without a doubt our worst ever grand final defeat. Certainly in our modern history it was anyway!

A lot of the ghosts from that day were laid to rest after that 1999 prelim final i think.

Without a doubt our worst ever grand final defeat. Certainly in our modern history it was anyway!

A lot of the ghosts from that day were laid to rest after that 1999 prelim final i think.
Yes yes ..you people always add an epilogue about 99’ after reminiscing about your 93’ debacle.

It’s kinda cute.

Love to hate the blues. Always good battles and we always have massive crowds to the matches. 👌

Yes yes ..you people always add an epilogue about 99’ after reminiscing about your 93’ debacle.

It’s kinda cute.

Love to hate the blues. Always good battles and we always have massive crowds to the matches. 👌
At lot of Carlton people won't admit this, but deep down we fear the Bombers a lot more than we do the Pies.

We've had too much fun at Collingwoods expense on the big stage over the years to truly fear them.

Both our clubs have been mediocre for a lot of the past two decades, but as you say we still bring in the crowds all the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back