If You Could Change 1 Grand Final Result - For Your Team or Other - Which Would It Be???

Remove this Banner Ad

The upside of that result in 2017 is that it exposed the culture at your club. Adelaide’s in a much better place now having come out the back of that.

A flag may have allowed it to be passed off as ‘success at all costs’.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's the right result for football seeing how important a good and proactive administration is. Something with the power of hindsight, we didn't have.

Just a bird in hand and all that. Even if it meant the wheels fall off 4-5 years later.

2016 as we were so clearly robbed by abysmal umpiring

What about the other recent times the Sydney football club has tragically forgot to show up on the big stage :) like your first final in 2016, losing to a side that finished fourth that year and then losing to a side in a GF that finished 7th that year :) the Swans where just average that year and when it was time to show up on the big stage THEY FAILED forgot the umpire conspiracy :)

What about the other recent times the Sydney football club has tragically forgot to show up on the big stage :) like your first final in 2016, losing to a side that finished fourth that year and then losing to a side in a GF that finished 7th that year :) the Swans where just average that year and when it was time to show up on the big stage THEY FAILED forgot the umpire conspiracy :)

Sydney finished top of the ladder that year but were average?

First final was s**t, but you and I both know they win 2016 if not for the bs umpiring, seems guilt gets to dog fans at times

Winning at half time despite complete bs umpiring, gradually got us in the end and wore the team down realising they were playing a team allowed to do whatever they wanted, including sliding into legs to take players out.

The dogs victory will always have an asterisk

As for other teams i think saints probably deserved 2010.
The pies were the best team throughout 2010.

St Kilda were the best team in 2009 and 1997. I see 1997 as their missed opportunity, 2009 could have gone either way, and the average result from both grand final games probably gives a more accurate representation of where the the saints were at in 2010.

The pies were the best team throughout 2010.

St Kilda were the best team in 2009 and 1997. I see 1997 as their missed opportunity, 2009 could have gone either way, and the average result from both grand final games probably gives a more accurate representation of where the the saints were at in 2010.
Saints werent the best team in 2009. At best they were the equal best team. Geelong won the first 13 games straight that season and then cruised towards finals Resting gun players regularly in the last 7 rounds having sown up top 2.

as for 2010 there were 3 teams largely all equal. Geelong and pies finished equal on wins. But saints werent far behind And were waiting for finals. pies period of dominating wins didnt actually occur till the 2011 season. They won the flag in 2010 but they didnt look like an all dominating team to 2011. Problem was geelong followed them that season as well.

How Barry Hall didn't get rubbed out for his gut punch in the PF I'll never know.
Even BBB himself said later he should've been suspended.

WCE were robbed.

Kudos to the Eagles fans that year. They took the AFL's corruption pretty well.

Last edited:
I would happily give the Dogs the 2021 premiership on the proviso that we won a flag in front of our own fans in 2022, 2023 or 2024.

Id be more than happy with that trade off. I mean we’d waited 57 years to see one. What’s another year or so if it meant we’d be able to watch a premiership live at the MCG a year or two later as compared to in lockdown.

Last edited:
Sydney finished top of the ladder that year but were average?

First final was s**t, but you and I both know they win 2016 if not for the bs umpiring, seems guilt gets to dog fans at times

Winning at half time despite complete bs umpiring, gradually got us in the end and wore the team down realising they were playing a team allowed to do whatever they wanted, including sliding into legs to take players out.

The dogs victory will always have an asterisk

Data says with or without bad umpiring Sydney Choke in big games How ironic the player that took your superstar to the cleaners on that day( Buddy Franklin ) has went on to play one game in 6 years :) Buddy never chocked when he played for the Hawks in big games lets say that hasn't been the case when he has played for the Sydney choking Swans :) Swans where average in 2016 forgot the umpiring om that day :)

95 grand final. Blues flag should be wiped and given to geelong
Another poster chatted about the cats 4 grand finals from 1989-1995.

1989: a great grand final. Cats came from at least 6 goals in that final quarter, only to lose by 6 points.

1992, cats had 3 more years of experience and a grand final loss. So did west coast. Cats were up by 28 points in that 2nd quarter and still up by 16 points at half time. Matera was brilliant on the wing.

1994: down by 36 points at 3 quarter time and lost by 80 points.

1995: game was dead by quarter time .

So out of all 4, I think 1992 was the golden chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints werent the best team in 2009. At best they were the equal best team. Geelong won the first 13 games straight that season and then cruised towards finals Resting gun players regularly in the last 7 rounds having sown up top 2.

as for 2010 there were 3 teams largely all equal. Geelong and pies finished equal on wins. But saints werent far behind And were waiting for finals. pies period of dominating wins didnt actually occur till the 2011 season. They won the flag in 2010 but they didnt look like an all dominating team to 2011. Problem was geelong followed them that season as well.
The 2010 GF replay went much the same way as the result in latter part of the home and away season

2016 - Sydney win and it is one of the greatest wins against adversity and gives some justice to Hannerbery with what basically became a career ending leg injury that he gave away a free kick for (even though there was a rule brought in that season that should of protected him)

2010 - Hate Collingwood

2009 - Just would be funny to say "Raph Clarke 2009 Premiership Player"

2013 for obvious reasons but excluding that one, I'd change one of 1992 or 94. Not so much because of the Eagles, more so for Geelong. 4 grand finals in 6 years and lost all of them, I can't imagine what it was like being a Geelong fan back then.
4 in 7 years, but close enough yeah. It was brutally hard living through it. I was only a kid, but I swear it led to a form of depression it affected me that badly.

Then when the Crows popped up and pinched 2 flags which they never had the right to win.. Damn that was tough to watch, especially with Blight. We just wanted 1 flag we weren't greedy. Honestly, despite all the recent success I'm still not over it.

2004 - All I wanted to see was history in the making. But alas, Brisbane got screwed over by the AFL and it was robbed from us.

We got to end that stupid MCG-AFL contract soon after though. A few more to go (Why do Collingwood have a set amount of MCG games? Why is the GF perpetually at the MCG? Why have a minimum amount of games, when the teams that call it home can't fulfill this themselves, forcing other clubs to host games there)

This is just the GF.

There frees for vs frees against across the whole finals series were > 3 standard deviations off. Consistently. AFL we’re shameless in that finals series.

It might be fair to suggest you are shameless in your disregard for correct spelling and punctuation.

Saved by the highly contentious challenge system against the mighty Cats in 1930. The league scrapped it after that year I'm pretty sure.
Only contentions to those whose sides lost those grand finals. It was simply the system at the time. Dumb? absolutely. So was the 1994-99 final 8 that saw the Crows win 98 after losing their first final from 5th. A product of a bygone era.

Collingwood were a level above the Saints in 2010 and the draw was a near freak loss in the face of superiority around the ground and horrible accuracy in front of goal. The Pies beat the Saints by 48 in round 16 and 56 in the replay.

Collingwood also only lost one game after round 10, which was in a round 22 dead rubber after the minor premiership had already been secured. There were two draws too, both results of horribly accuracy in front of goal by Collingwood. Their other finals wins were slaughterings of the Bulldogs and Cats.

The 2011 side was special but they’d more than set the base with a dominant finish to 2010.

For my club it's easy: 2017, the only grand final we've ever lost. Yes the club culture is arguably better now, but speculation about that and a possible future premiership pale in comparison to an actual premiership. When you get a chance, TAKE IT because you may not get another opportunity for decades.

If I had to pick a different result for a non-Crows granny I'd have Freo winning in 2013 so Dockers fans would have at least one. Nearly 30 years in the competition without a flag is just cruel.

oh and 1966 simply because of what O'Dea did to Greening in '72. That Flag should have been taken off them just for that one DOG act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back