Which team if any could be a surprise flag winner in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood will win back to back.

But other then that ill go with either GWS or Swans

North.

OP said "could". It would be a pretty big surprise.

Jokes aside it is a very even comp, not a lot of stacked lists outside NSW (and if the AFL left them alone to run their own show they'd be better than with all this tampering honestly, look at Brisbane). Big pool of possible premiers, although its much easier for Vics for a variety of reasons.

The 8 won't stay the same as last year, there will always be a "surprise" come from nowhere. It will be no surprise if the Lions or Giants win, it will be no surprise if the Pies get up again or my team Geelong bounce back... my surprises could be the Bulldogs and Carlton. The Dogs have some very good players although the loss of Smith will be crucial to their chances. If the Blues get up it will be a miracle, i just don't think they're much chop!

GC shouldn't be allowed to win a flag until they do something about their sh*tty guernsey.

Does that mean we can cancel all of Hawthorn's premierships too? :praying:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams i expect to be thereabouts: Lions, Pies, Port, GWS, Swans and Dees if they sort themselves out.

surprise team for me is the Crows as well.
Tex and Fog are reliable tall forwards
Keays, Rankine, Rachele dangerous upfront but also up the ground
Crouch, Laird, Dawson, Soligo & Pedlar - decent midfield

And they seem to have a key defender farm outback somewhere. They groom guns, they leave, more come through.

In the spirit of the thread I think it would have to be the Saints or maybe the Bombers. Teams like Carlton or Swans have recent form and/or trajectory that indicates its possible. Even the Suns is not totally out there given the talent and new coach.

Bombers don't win finals and the Saints got bundled out in week 1 having only just got back in there after a couple out. Both middling AF but it's not inconceivable that it could all turn around and go bang in 2024.
with the exception of North, i can't think of a team that would be more of a surprise than the Dons.
And the Saints. Cos just like we don't win finals, they don't win flags.

even last years wooden spooners have some premiership pedigree in their side that could pull a dads army miracle before i'd back the Dons.

with the exception of North, i can't think of a team that would be more of a surprise than the Dons.
And the Saints. Cos just like we don't win finals, they don't win flags.

even last years wooden spooners have some premiership pedigree in their side that could pull a dads army miracle before i'd back the Dons.
You have the same attitude as I did circa 2007 - 2013.

Expect little, or nothing, and you won't be disappointed.

After we pantsed ya in the semis in 2022.

'' Dockers vow to win the 2023 Flag ''

What happened Freomaniac? huh? what?:tearsofjoy:

:thumbsu:
It's ok, Freo will win the 2024 flag instead while getting two top 10 picks from Collingwood & Port and their own 1st rounder on top. Everyone will be very surprised and calling for a draft overhaul at the injustice.

The Saints will pull a Bulldogs 2016 this year. Remember where you were when you heard it first 👍
We wont remember if you're wrong, but you will if you're correct and will remind us.
Chicago Fire GIF by NBC

It's ok, Freo will win the 2024 flag instead while getting two top 10 picks from Collingwood & Port and their own 1st rounder on top. Everyone will be very surprised and calling for a draft overhaul at the injustice.
I don't believe in the Saints. Every season they're tipped to do well or step up, and they step down. They've had it in them the last 2 years to kick on but always flop. TBF GWS were a force last year they were an orange Tsunami. They could have gone all the way they were that close. They tipped themselves to be top 4 a few seasons back and didn't mak the 8. You got to back it up if you come out with these bold statements. Just ask Freo lol.

The Saints have it in them but I think more realistically they'll be fighting to make the 8 or best case scenario might have that Prelim push in them but a Premiership is a bridge too far.

I'll stick with The Crows but again they showed last year they can hang with anyone on their day. Deserved to play finals. I expect them to pick up an extra 4-5 wins this season and they will play finals.

Beware the teams that have suffered heartbreak the year before. Brisbane will be burning. So to The Crows. Actually I've yet to see their draw but I feel The Crows will start the season very amped. I might have to get on em early on as they could be a bit of a gold mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back