Prediction Which player from your team improves the most in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dead serious, needs a clean bill of health though.

He’s never played more than 16 games in a season since being drafted…that’s not just “bad luck”..the way he plays, he consistently get’s injured…

I love Lewis, but he’s no chance of winning the coleman medal, especially with the recruitment of Chol & Gunston returning.

Lewis also plays his best footy as a traditional centre half forward, which he will play more next season with Chol more a “stay at home” full forward.

There’s also Ginnivan, Breust and Watson that will all hopefully kick 20+ goals next season.

Our forward line will be completely different to last season and will take time to gel. If Lewis can kick 45-50 goals next season that would be a great result. He isn’t kicking 75+ which is what is needed to win the Coleman Medal.

He’s never played more than 16 games in a season since being drafted…that’s not just “bad luck”..the way he plays, he consistently get’s injured…

I love Lewis, but he’s no chance of winning the coleman medal, especially with the recruitment of Chol & Gunston returning.

Lewis also plays his best footy as a traditional centre half forward, which he will play more next season with Chol more a “stay at home” full forward.

There’s also Ginnivan, Breust and Watson that will all hopefully kick 20+ goals next season.

Our forward line will be completely different to last season and will take time to gel. If Lewis can kick 45-50 goals next season that would be a great result. He isn’t kicking 75+ which is what is needed to win the Coleman Medal.
Tall players often take a bit of time to get their bodies up to lasting an AFL season. I don't think you can just assume he can't play a full season. He is reaching tall maturity now.

What exactly about "the way he plays" is inherently injurious in comparison with other bash and crash CHF who do play full seasons?

Tall players often take a bit of time to get their bodies up to lasting an AFL season. I don't think you can just assume he can't play a full season. He is reaching tall maturity now.

What exactly about "the way he plays" is inherently injurious in comparison with other bash and crash CHF who do play full seasons?

He’s entering his 7th season and is 25. He’s not “young” anymore. Take out 2018 where he only played 2 games, he’s played:
2019-12
2020-8
2021-14
2022-15
2023-15
Again, that can’t just be “bad luck”.

He’s entering his 7th season and is 25. He’s not “young” anymore. Take out 2018 where he only played 2 games, he’s played:
2019-12
2020-8
2021-14
2022-15
2023-15
Again, that can’t just be “bad luck”.
Yep, around 25 is often how long it takes for tall heavy athletes to fully sort their bodies for complete seasons in demanding sports.

I don't think it is entirely bad luck. I do think he is getting to the right age and one lucky season is all it takes to have a year like larkey just did.

I am not saying it is likely. I am saying it isn't ludicrous. It really helps that he might only need 65ish if others have poor seasons (like 2022 say). He could absolutely do that if he stays on the field.

His other big issue is accuracy. He misses more shots than other similar CHFs. It is a big fixable thing that would dramatically improve his chances.

Larkey was absolutely incredible. I am astounded at how well he did in that team. We aren't actually disagreeing here.

Was just about first picked for the AA in my book.

The huge number of free kicks wasn't just this year though. It was over his whole career. He has always gotten dramatically more than Lewis.

Oh, and larkey had 3.4 goals and assists per game in 2023. Lewis had 3.2. The difference was minuscule.
Why bring up free kicks then? Just seems really weird to imply he's favoured by the umpires. You can make the case for Lewis potentially breaking out without denigrating Larkey.

Same with the goals + assists metric. If he's getting more assists and less goals it just implies that he's playing a different role than Larkey.

Why bring up free kicks then? Just seems really weird to imply he's favoured by the umpires. You can make the case for Lewis potentially breaking out without denigrating Larkey.

Same with the goals + assists metric. If he's getting more assists and less goals it just implies that he's playing a different role than Larkey.
I just thought the massive number of addional free kicks was really interesting. Were you aware of it? I wasn't. It also just feels so typical. Some clubs just get looked after.

The goals+assists was in response to another poster wondering what measure Lewis could possibly be described as having outperformed larkey. I thought that along with all the other statistical measures I listed, that one was interesting.

I just thought the massive number of addional free kicks was really interesting. Were you aware of it? I wasn't. It also just feels so typical. Some clubs just get looked after.

The goals+assists was in response to another poster wondering what measure Lewis could possibly be described as having outperformed larkey. I thought that along with all the other statistical measures I listed, that one was interesting.
Haha bloody hell.
Screenshot_20231223_154356_Chrome.jpg

At least put in a little bit of effort before making these weird claims.

Anyways, Lewis had a chance to be AA next year, hopefully he puts a full season together and he can scrounge up a few more free kicks.

From an opposition club Hayden Young will be an interesting watch.

Looks like he might transition to the midfield a Freo mate of mine seems to think he will have the same impact on ball as Will Day did this season.

I told him I think they are a little bit different players but Youngs a lethal kick so I'm keen to see how he goes lining up with Serong and Brayshaw.

Anyways, Lewis had a chance to be AA next year, hopefully he puts a full season together and he can scrounge up a few more free kicks.
Genuinely surprised you aren't asking for more compo and priority picks. There is always next year.

For St Kilda i will go with Max Heath who hasn't played a game yet.

Big bodied ruck-forward (204cm 97kg) who needs to get his stamina levels to the required standard.

Good news is he's been training his ass off as we speak in preparation for next year so hopefully that transitions into an AFL debut with more to follow.
Hope so.

There are a number of Saints players who need to find another level if we want to do anything decent.

But who do I think WILL be most improved player?

Mattaes Phillipou, will be 19 next week and has already played a full season including a final. Got an RS nom too. Has the drive, attitude, skills and build to be The Man. Not sure if he'll be the finished article in '24 but learned a lot in his maiden season v started realy well, tired midseason (like a lot of his teammates) and was schooled I'm the final when Ross left him in the middle most of the game which is exactly what he needed.

Started off as an awestruck skinny kid, I'll be surprised if he hasn't evolved significantly.

From an opposition club Hayden Young will be an interesting watch.

Looks like he might transition to the midfield a Freo mate of mine seems to think he will have the same impact on ball as Will Day did this season.

I told him I think they are a little bit different players but Youngs a lethal kick so I'm keen to see how he goes lining up with Serong and Brayshaw.
I really like Hayden and was hoping gws would pick him with Tom Green (we took Lachie ash so no complaints). The last 4 games this year showed he can really mix it in the middle

Oh, and larkey had 3.4 goals and assists per game in 2023. Lewis had 3.2. The difference was minuscule.
Larkey kicked 71 goals to Lewis' 36.

You can try to twist stats all you want but Larkey had a far, far better season.

I get that you're hoping that Lewis will step up and have a breakout season like Larkey has just had, and maybe he will, but you're getting ahead of yourself by trying to prove that it's already happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey kicked 71 goals to Lewis' 36.

You can try to twist stats all you want but Larkey had a far, far better season.

I get that you're hoping that Lewis will step up and have a breakout season like Larkey has just had, and maybe he will, but you're getting ahead of yourself by trying to prove that it's already happened.
I specifically said I hope Lewis does have a year like Larkey just had. He was immense.

In all seriousness we’d kill for a Mitch Lewis or a Larkey in our forward line. Would complete our forward set up perfectly.
Your biggest weakness by far. You guys seem to be doing fairly well regardless though.

Larkey was absolutely incredible. I am astounded at how well he did in that team. We aren't actually disagreeing here.

Was just about first picked for the AA in my book.

The huge number of free kicks wasn't just this year though. It was over his whole career. He has always gotten dramatically more than Lewis.

Lewis just needs to stay on the park. Can play.

At the Eagles

Burgiel yet to debut looking good.

Chesser 3rd year after missing all of his first year.

Hough last two games were very good. 3rd year and looks bigger and stronger.

Long. Had a outstanding debut year. Pick 58 played round 1. Has lost the puppy fat and is looking fit. Exceptional skills and footy brain.

Ollie Hollands

Appears to be shadowing Walsh in the midfield this preseason which accelerate his development. I’m expecting him to get some minutes on the ball - not heaps, but a rotation to give us more two way run. From what I can gather, he is being earmarked for leadership within the club as well. I’m excited to see what he can do in his second year.
He’ll get pushed around too easily in the midfield.

Tom sparrow is looking in great Nick which is handy for us seeing another one of our on all brigade isn’t interested in playing footy at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back