Prediction Which player from your team improves the most in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

One of:
Hayden young
Matthew Johnson
Josh Treacy

Larkey was absolutely incredible. I am astounded at how well he did in that team. We aren't actually disagreeing here.

Was just about first picked for the AA in my book.

The huge number of free kicks wasn't just this year though. It was over his whole career. He has always gotten dramatically more than Lewis.

Oh, and larkey had 3.4 goals and assists per game in 2023. Lewis had 3.2. The difference was minuscule.
What that suggests is Larkey is tougher to defend than Lewis, and Larkey gets into more dangerous spots where defenders need to bend what is allowed

What that suggests is Larkey is tougher to defend than Lewis, and Larkey gets into more dangerous spots where defenders need to bend what is allowed
Maybe, but is that what you get from actually watching him? Because it isn't how it looks to me.

For us Dekoning, Cowan or Ellijah Hollands.

Cowan is an interesting nomination. Not sure I agree in 2024.

Had a good debut season and clearly he's rated highly internally, but I don't see a clear path to enough senior minutes next season.

Agree with you in particular on TDK though. 2024 is the first year I have him as our clear #1 option in the ruck; he's now ready to compete with the big boys.

He gets less frees per game than curnow and McKay, the same as Oscar Allen and slightly more than Jeremy Cameron and Joe Daniher.

You’re getting all paranoid again
Interesting you are choosing to compare him to players famous for diving or staging. Not sure Daniher is really who you want to associate with Larkey. I wouldn't.

Your list just shows how badly Lewis is treated by the umps though. More contested marks but fewer than half the free kicks in contested marking situations.

As I said, must be nice.

Interesting you are choosing to compare him to players famous for diving or staging. Not sure Daniher is really who you want to associate with Larkey. I wouldn't.

Your list just shows how badly Lewis is treated by the umps though. More contested marks but fewer than half the free kicks in contested marking situations.

As I said, must be nice.

Can you explain to me the relevance of contested marking stats with regards to free kicks.

Can you explain to me the relevance of contested marking stats with regards to free kicks.
Free kicks in marking contests are the main way key forwards get frees. I would have thought that was obvious. Had you not noticed?

A lot of posters on the North board are bullish about Philips. This will now be his fourth year in the system and he hasn't show much yet, partly due to being hit with glandular fever. I personally think he's a limited footballer with few redeeming attributes and not worthy of a number 3 pick, but I'll be happy if he proves me wrong. He's had a good pre season.

Xerri could be one that improves a lot, just because he's now the clear number 1 ruck and has had a very good pre season.

Others who could improve a lot because they're starting from zero or coming from a low base, are Toby Pink, Biggie, and Kal Dawson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free kicks in marking contests are the main way key forwards get frees. I would have thought that was obvious. Had you not noticed?

Cool, but you said

“More contested marks but fewer than half the free kicks in contested marking situations.”

A contested mark is one possible result of marking contest. The more contested marks you take, the less chance of a free kick.

Cool, but you said

“More contested marks but fewer than half the free kicks in contested marking situations.”

A contested mark is one possible result of marking contest. The more contested marks you take, the less chance of a free kick.
I wonder if that is true? You appear to be assuming the two aren't statistically dependent. I would suggest they probably are. If a defender is more afraid of losing the marking contest they are more likely to infringe. Seems fairly obvious really.

Anyhow, hopefully Lewis gets a bit of that next year and really breaks out.

I wonder if that is true? You appear to be assuming the two aren't statistically dependent. I would suggest they probably are. If a defender is more afraid of losing the marking contest they are more likely to infringe. Seems fairly obvious really.

Anyhow, hopefully Lewis gets a bit of that next year and really breaks out.

If there are 100 marking contests and Lewis takes 100 contested marks he can’t get a free kick.

You could certainly argue the more marking contests a player gets to the more feee kicks he should get. But arguing a player should get more free kicks because they take more contested marks just doesn’t make sense to me.

If there are 100 marking contests and Lewis takes 100 contested marks he can’t get a free kick.

You could certainly argue the more marking contests a player gets to the more feee kicks he should get. But arguing a player should get more free kicks because they take more contested marks just doesn’t make sense to me.
Nobody takes 100 out of 100. Ludicrous to even say it. If someone takes even 40 out of 100 (elite) then the defender will infringe heavily to try to cut that down, thus resulting in more frees (whilst still having high mark numbers). If they are getting 10 out of 100 (poor) then the defender won't be worried and won't take a risk of giving away a free.

Do you watch football at all?

The relationship between contested marks and frees couldn't be clearer. (It is somewhat muddied by players who stage, and we all know who they are)

To attempt, yet again, to get back on topic hopefully 2024 can be a bit fairer to Lewis.

Nobody takes 100 out of 100. Ludicrous to even say it. If someone takes even 40 out of 100 (elite) then the defender will infringe heavily to try to cut that down, thus resulting in more frees (whilst still having high mark numbers). If they are getting 10 out of 100 (poor) then the defender won't be worried and won't take a risk of giving away a free.

Do you watch football at all?

The relationship between contested marks and frees couldn't be clearer. (It is somewhat muddied by players who stage, and we all know who they are)

To attempt, yet again, to get back on topic hopefully 2024 can be a bit fairer to Lewis.

There was almost an across the board reduction in free kicks to tall forwards this year.

Charlie Dixon finished second for ave contested marks per game and averaged 0.7 free kicks per game.

Lynch 3rd for contested marks got 0.5.

Taylor walker 14th and got 0.8.

Hogan 11th at 0.9

Max king at 21st at 1.0

Hawkins and Casboult both at 0.5

Whereas

Oscar Allen, ranked below all of the above for contested marks per game (41st in the comp), averaged 1.3 free per game.

All the players mentioned above were down on their average free kicks per game, including Lewis who went from 1.1 in 2022 to almost half that in 2023.

One of:
Hayden young
Matthew Johnson
Josh Treacy
Why not all 3 Ronnie?

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dusty
Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Back