Hawthorn and Carlton - next big rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton v Melbourne is more likely to be the next big rivalry, esp if last night is a sign of things to come.

The players from The Blues and Dees really don't like each other i reckon :)
Ourselves and the Dees are the two oldest clubs in Melbourne, yet we've never played each other in a grand final. That sure is a weird statistic!

We've played the Hawks in two grand finals, and we both have the one win each. I sure wouldn't mind seeing us beat the Hawks in another grand final.;)

Ourselves and the Dees are the two oldest clubs in Melbourne, yet we've never played each other in a grand final. That sure is a weird statistic!

We've played the Hawks in two grand finals, and we both have the one win each. I sure wouldn't mind seeing us beat the Hawks in another grand final.;)
Melbourne haven't played us in a grand final either.
Strange given we're the oldest clubs in the league.

We would've played Melbourne in the 1987 grand final, if it wasn't for Jim Stynes running across the mark!

It worked out well anyway because the Hawks were the team of the 80's, and it was nice to beat that great Hawthorn team in that 1987 grand final.

Jimmy of course put it all behind him, and went on to have a great career with Melbourne.

There's more chance of West Coast winning the flag this year than the AFL fixturing Carlton v Hawthorn twice in a season, so pretty hard to have a rivalry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No we are on way different timelines. If we are going to be a top side, the time is next 5-7 years, hawks won’t be that until at least the end of that run.

A bit like when people thought us and brisbane would be big rivals, they have proven to be 5 years at least ahead of us.

We would've played Melbourne in the 1987 grand final, if it wasn't for Jim Stynes running across the mark!

It worked out well anyway because the Hawks were the team of the 80's, and it was nice to beat that great Hawthorn team in that 1987 grand final.

Jimmy of course put it all behind him, and went on to have a great career with Melbourne.

Bucky woulda kicked that goal from anywhere.

Was never in doubt.

1986 GF was on my 10th birthday - that was a good day ;) .

Still reckon we might have given the '87 GF more of a yelp if Dunstall didn't miss both PF and GF after incurring an ankle injury in the second semi; and it wasn't 378 degrees Celsius on GF day. Our players looked cooked - literally. Oh well, can't win 'em all. I reckon both clubs probably rorted the s**t out of the salary cap back in those days.

Oddly, Hawthorn has beaten every club in a GF that it has lost to in a GF - Geelong, North Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton and Sydney.

Collingwood and Hawthorn have never played in a GF which is surprising given how many Grand Finals both clubs have played in over the past 60-70 years

Still reckon we might have given the '87 GF more of a yelp if Dunstall didn't miss both PF and GF after incurring an ankle injury in the second semi; and it wasn't 378 degrees Celsius on GF day. Our players looked cooked - literally. Oh well, can't win 'em all. I reckon both clubs probably rorted the s**t out of the salary cap back in those days.

Oddly, Hawthorn has beaten every club in a GF that it has lost to in a GF - Geelong, North Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton and Sydney.

1987 the salary cap was a joke, swans were like double it in 1987 and got fined for it!

Carlton v Melbourne is more likely to be the next big rivalry, esp if last night is a sign of things to come.

The players from The Blues and Dees really don't like each other i reckon :)
The next big rivalry, Really.
That is the first you have won from the past 9 against them.

A score review goes your way and all of a sudden Carlton are worthy of a big rivalry.

Jason Dunstall was a huge loss for the Hawks, but on our side we were without Des English who was recovering from cancer, and of course Peter Motley who had that car accident that finished his career.

Bernie Evans was suspended for that final as well, so our players were determined to win it for Des, Motts and Bernie, and throw the previous years grand final defeat into the mix as well.;)

I think the weather conditions that day were an issue for both teams, but i think our guys just wanted it more on the day for the reasons i outlined above.

The Hawks of course came back to win flags in 1988, 1989 and 1991, whilst we limped out of the finals in 1988 and didn't get back into the finals again until 1993.

It was a great era for both clubs, and as you say we both probably rorted the hell out of the salary cap. I honestly couldn't give one flying big one about that though.:grinv1::laughv1:

Last edited:
The next big rivalry, Really.
That is the first you have won from the past 9 against them.

A score review goes your way and all of a sudden Carlton are worthy of a big rivalry.
Melbourne along with us are your other grand final masters. We both have inflicted a lot of misery on your club in grand finals over the years.:grinv1:

Collingwood and Hawthorn have never played in a GF which is surprising given how many Grand Finals both clubs have played in over the past 60-70 years

It even goes deeper than that. We have only ever faced the pies in Four Finals total.

1974 Second Semi (Hawks Win)
1977 Second Semi (Pies Win)
1978 Qualifying (Hawks Win)
2011 Prelim (Pies Win)

Considering that the 2 Clubs have probably made 60-70% of all final series since 1970 (Someone smarter than me can confirm), that is remarkable.

It even goes deeper than that. We have only ever faced the pies in Four Finals total.

1974 Second Semi (Hawks Win)
1977 Second Semi (Pies Win)
1978 Qualifying (Hawks Win)
2011 Prelim (Pies Win)

Considering that the 2 Clubs have probably made 60-70% of all final series since 1970 (Someone smarter than me can confirm), that is remarkable.
2012 qualifying final was another and Hawthorn have had a knack of avoiding Collingwood and Richmond in finals.
It's strange how Hawthorn have played more finals against West Coast and Fremantle than against Collingwood and Richmond.
The only Victorian clubs that Hawthorn have never faced in a grand final are Collingwood and Richmond.

2012 qualifying final was another and Hawthorn have had a knack of avoiding Collingwood and Richmond in finals.
It's strange how Hawthorn have played more finals against West Coast and Fremantle than against Collingwood and Richmond.
The only Victorian clubs that Hawthorn have never faced in a grand final are Collingwood and Richmond.
Richmond a bit easier to explain. They were awesome in the 60's and we had dropped right off after winning in 61.
The up years they had in the late 70's-1980, Hawthorn was doing a mini lull between out successes in 78-83.

Then the Tiges were crap till the mid 90's, when we were crap and they came good for a bit.. Again, the Tiges were crap during the three peat years, and just as they came good for the golden run recently, we dropped out.

Richmond a bit easier to explain. They were awesome in the 60's and we had dropped right off after winning in 61.
The up years they had in the late 70's-1980, Hawthorn was doing a mini lull between out successes in 78-83.

Then the Tiges were crap till the mid 90's, when we were crap and they came good for a bit.. Again, the Tiges were crap during the three peat years, and just as they came good for the golden run recently, we dropped out.
I remember reading on here that 61 out of 124 grand finals have featured either Hawthorn or Collingwood, but they've never faced each other in one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back