Port and Brisbane, is the rivalry still there?

Remove this Banner Ad

I see it as a fairly low level rivalry akin to ones such as Geelong Vs St Kilda, Hawthorn Vs North Melbourne or Sydney vs West Coast etc.

There is something there because of their histories, but nothing of great significance.

That's my perception of it anyway.

Really? I was at that game. North won by 45 points.
I was there too, the first half was brilliant, agree it's not a prominent rivalry though
I assure you, nobody's main rivalry is with North Melbourne.
Essendon and North have been competing directly since football began, it's a very strong rivalry

Not really, Port's second biggest rival these days seems to be North Melbourne.

I don't think (for whatever reason) rivalries between non Victorian clubs in different states lasts any longer than a few years tbh.

I don't think any considers The Eagles and Swans as rivals any more, even though they had the most memorable and heated rivalry of the 00 decade.
How are Port and North Melbourne rivals? I don't see it

You haven't read the last 9 months here and the various JH-F threads on both club boards and on the main board?

The hate between the two teams is real and tasty.
how is north supporters moaning about a trade a rivalry?

i doubt any port adelaide fans or the club care about north melbourne at all

You haven't read the last 9 months here and the various JH-F threads on both club boards and on the main board?

The hate between the two teams is real and tasty.
I guess I view a rivalry as being mainly based on club's onfield performances against one another.

Not to say that other factors can't add a lot of spice to it, like the trade you mentioned, or Jeff Kennett calling Geelong psychologically weak etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if Port fans hold Kane in the same esteem as King does with NM fans. It will never bring the additional bums on seats during game day.

Apparently they came to blows in the SEN studio a few months ago over JH-F

But yeah i know most Port fans haven't got time for Kornes these days for being an apologist and puppet of Ken Hinkley

I doubt there would be any lingering rivalry from the early 2000s. The players are different and the respective fan bases would rarely come across each other.

I didn't enjoy losing to them in 2004 (of course) but what external animus existed was held more against V/AFL House rather then Port (who had been up and about for a bit).

That being said I kind of enjoyed the 119 point demolition at the hands of Geelong in 2007 (since we sucked and they were already playing in another GF!)

I am certainly more aware of them than I am of the Crows but I think we have more shared experiences (as non-vics) than we have rivalries.

All that being said if the Lions do win this year doing it against Pies or Port would have some nice links to the previous era but any opponent will do.

I think if you took a poll on the Lions' Board on who you would prefer to beat Pies would win but Port would have a decent showing.

Maybe in the early days, Fitzroy went out in 96 and the Power started in 97. They had 2 draws within their first three games, but was more likely media beat-up at the time. Arguably during the early 2000's there were some good tough games and both clubs were top of the tree in regards performance and players. As a supporter those games you knew the teams were evenly matched. In 02, in the final round Power beat Lions to finish on top of the ladder, but then Lions thumped them in the Prelim. This is when the media started labelling them as chokers.
In 04, Power get the GF win, and all everyone remembers is Lynchy and all of his air-swings.

There was a nice little flare-up in 2019, Rd 17, where Ken though it might be a good idea to rough-up Lachie Neale. But 5 goals down at 1/4 time and loosing by 48 pts, it didn't go in their favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back