Warhammer 40K

Remove this Banner Ad

Conquest magazine if you can find a copy at a newsagent

first issue is $5 and you get 3 full size paints and 3 primaris intercessors

Best deal on warhammer you will ever find :p

Is it commonly available at newsagencies?

Is it commonly available at newsagencies?

Depends on the newsagent I guess, but surprisingly the one near work had some today.

The GW stores should have them as well assuming the first bloke in tomorrow doesn't buy them all

I grabbed one today, I haven't played since I was 15! I love doing the painting even if I don't play that much.

I’m the opposite.
I’d have played waaaaaay more if everything was pre-assembled and painted haha

I reckon the models are great but found the entry point too expensive. You need to spend a fair bit to play don't you?
Is it a pay to win game? Where there are certain items you have to buy because they are OP?
Also is it a steep learning/cost curve to get into?

I love strategy and painting and fantasy and big community fanbases and this looks right up my alley, but don't want to spend buckets every year to play.

I reckon the models are great but found the entry point too expensive. You need to spend a fair bit to play don't you?
Is it a pay to win game? Where there are certain items you have to buy because they are OP?
Also is it a steep learning/cost curve to get into?

I love strategy and painting and fantasy and big community fanbases and this looks right up my alley, but don't want to spend buckets every year to play.
It can be very expensive. Depends on what you want to play. If you're looking at playing full battles it can get quite expensive, but there is Kill Team which are small battles with a few models and a good entry point into the hobby.

Spending can also be less if you buy 2nd hand models. Either through Ebay or there's a buy, swap and sell Facebook group that's good.

Depending on what sort of player you are it can be expensive as well. Competitive players are likely to have the newest and best thing or you can be a casual player and have a themed army that could be cheaper.

I found the learning curve pretty easy, but it does take a while to really get your strategy right and your plans to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't need to play either, for me the playing just keeps me motivated to build / paint the next thing

I'd say starting out, buying some cheapo minis off eBay / Gumtree and basic paints (always get model paint for minis, scenery use cheap craft paint) and brushes, you'd be looking at maybe 150 - 200 bucks.

There is HEAPS of stuff on the webs about doing stuff on the cheap.

Building the scenery you can do for basically nothing and I find it the most fun. You'll be surprised how proud you can be of some cardboard, glue and paint.

I'm looking at paint some ultramarines, does anyone use the spraycan to base coat?

Should I base coast in the black or ultramarine blue?

I'm looking at paint some ultramarines, does anyone use the spraycan to base coat?

Should I base coast in the black or ultramarine blue?
I do. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area and on a day that isn't hot.

It depends. It will change how the models look. Black usually has a darker colour but the blue will be easier to paint and means you can get more models done.

I do. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area and on a day that isn't hot.

It depends. It will change how the models look. Black usually has a darker colour but the blue will be easier to paint and means you can get more models done.
I was thinking the black would be better to cover the dark areas under the armour. $30 a can seems pretty expensive from games workshop, are there any cheaper alternatives?

I was thinking the black would be better to cover the dark areas under the armour. $30 a can seems pretty expensive from games workshop, are there any cheaper alternatives?

Fiddly Bits from Bunnings, Australian Export from Supercheapauto, both around the $4 a can mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back