List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The draft will this year return to a two-night affair with the first round taking place on the opening night before the rest of the draft the following evening.

That format at the 2018-19 drafts saw the first pick of the second round be extremely sought after by clubs who wanted to trade up the board to grab players who had fallen through the first night. Brisbane essentially traded a future-second round pick to Port Adelaide to move up one spot in 2019 to grab Deven Robertson. – Callum Twomey
The year we had the 1st pick of the second round was the 1 year the draft reverted back to a 1 night event thus redering tgat pick less valuable. We get f**ked over time and time again

The year we had the 1st pick of tge second round was the 1 year tge draft reverted back to a 1 night event thus redering tgat pick less valuable. We get f**ked over time and time again
Tis true ....the two years of our highest draft picks, coincides with Covid and Victorin footballers locked up, and no tangible National Championship

The year we had the 1st pick of the second round was the 1 year the draft reverted back to a 1 night event thus redering tgat pick less valuable. We get f**ked over time and time again

Eh, we moved that on to get Brayden Cook during what would have been the 1st night of the draft. Screwed Fremantle in the end, but likelihood is they weren't risking O'Driscoll going either.

And the academy and f/s kids being so highly rated that we had no access to, and the suns pp that cost us noah anderson ..... the list rolls on
The Gold Coast 3 years of compensation picks are a prime example of the very worst of AFL decision making ....which is getting worse by the day

The AFL has become too big and bureaucratic .....there's no foresight & it's policy on the run or in hindsight

Just that the thread title lists all our picks (including Melb 2nd, Freo 4th) and then says "(+ Melb 2nd, Freo 4th)" instead of perhaps "including...".

Yes, I know that is seriously pedantic :p it's just that it confused me at first when I started looking closely at our draft hand. Carry on :)

What a complete ******* waste of my precious time.

Done!

IF Dawson leaves sydney which is still an IF …. I expect him to nominate Port

Sydney would likely pry away Hayes as part of the deal together with a decent pick if they were keen on Hayes
They should be too Sam Hayes is the best ruckman outside of the AFL by a fair margin.

The SA mid that is the big "sleeper" in this draft is Rooster James Willis, rarely rated a mention but he should be right up there with the other SA mids Jason Horne-Francis, Arlo Draper and Matt Roberts given his AFL like attributes, speed, strength, agility, explosiveness from the contest and the ability to hit the scoreboard. Obviously the club recruiters haven't missed him with a Combine invite unlike the bulk of draft watchers on big footy where he has rarely rated a mention.

Last edited:
The SA mid that is the big "sleeper" in this draft is Rooster James Willis, rarely rated a mention but he should be right up there with the other SA mids Jason Horne-Francis, Arlo Draper and Matt Roberts given his AFL like attributes, speed, strength, agility, explosiveness from the contest and the ability to hit the scoreboard. Obviously the club recruiters haven't missed him with a Combine invite like the bulk of draft watchers on big footy where he has rarely rated a mention.
Only seen him play twice and didnt have great days either day.

But he does have some very good qualities. This years Luke Pedlar IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only seen him play twice and didnt have great days either day.

But he does have some very good qualities. This years Luke Pedlar IMO
Put it this way I'd take James Willis way way before I'd take his Roosters teammate Hugh Jackson who has garnered a hell of a lot more attention.

If he happened to slip through to our pick 37 I'd be all over him, and even have him in heavy consideration for our pick 23, like Arlo Draper he offers different talents to our current midfield roster. Also has the versatility and attributes to be a very good "smallish" pressure forward.

I've watched every game he's played and believe me he's had very few games where he wasn't a serious contributor.

Put it this way I'd take James Willis way way before I'd take his Roosters teammate Hugh Jackson who has garnered a hell of a lot more attention.

If he happened to slip through to our pick 37 I'd be all over him, and even have him in heavy consideration for our pick 23, like Arlo Draper he offers different talents to our current midfield roster. Also has the versatility and attributes to be a very good "smallish" pressure forward.

I've watched every game he's played and believe me he's had very few games where he wasn't a serious contributor.
I was told by one of his coaches I caught him on a 'bad day for James'. Not to say he was bad, just not his normal standard

How tall is Willis, what build, what current player or recent draftee has comparable athleticism/speed do you think? Can you paint me a pic pls?

How tall is Willis, what build, what current player or recent draftee has comparable athleticism/speed do you think? Can you paint me a pic pls?
This write up from Draft Central's SA scout Tom Wyman in round 11 against West Adelaide pretty much sums James Willis' potential.

Built like a brick outhouse, a real power footballer 180cm 75kg and still growing.

#18 James Willis

Talented Roosters Hugh Jackson, Blayne O’Loughlin and Harvey Harrison have all had their moments in the limelight this season, and on Saturday afternoon it was midfielder James Willis’ time to shine. Recognised as one of the best junior onballers in the state, Willis was dominant against West Adelaide. He started the game by laying a terrific smother, then later ran down a West Adelaide opponent with a strong tackle. These defensive efforts have been a hallmark of Willis’ game throughout the past couple of seasons, and they shone through at Prospect Oval. Willis spent most of the game in the midfield and was effective on the inside and the outside, winning some contested ball and also using his explosiveness to damaging effect when given a pocket of time and space. He also used the ball well, even whilst travelling at top speed. A dynamic prospect, Willis used his stiff arm a couple of times, demonstrating the power and strength he plays with. He finished as the Roosters leading ball winner, gathering 34 touches along with seven marks, six tackles, six clearances, eight inside 50s and three rebounds.

Last edited:
IF Dawson leaves sydney which is still an IF …. I expect him to nominate Port

Sydney would likely pry away Hayes as part of the deal together with a decent pick if they were keen on Hayes

Really? Both Hayes and Strachan have been contracted until 2023 respectively.

Strachan the better out of the two.

They're more likely to put Ladhams up for a late 1st rounder/early 2nd than Hayes.

Really? Both Hayes and Strachan have been contracted until 2023 respectively.

Strachan the better out of the two.

They're more likely to put Ladhams up for a late 1st rounder/early 2nd than Hayes.
Strachan better than Hayes?

He might be in your eyes but I'd have to disagree on that assessment.

Bar for Hayes doing his ACL a while back he'd have been playing AFL before now. Port have a gun ruckman in waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back