Welcome Welcome to Adelaide: Oscar Ryan - Pick 27

Remove this Banner Ad

From Shepparton News

Well according to Ryan there’s only one thing you can do while waiting for the draft.
“I’ve got this group of school kids that I help teach and mentor, Year 7s and 8s, and it’s helped take my mind off it (the draft),” Ryan said last week as he looked out across Deakin Reserve.
“It was a good getaway with everything else going on.
“Helping them with their footy, they’re always asking me about my footy, but it’s good seeing them grow. It’s in school hours at Notre and on Wednesday’s we’d do it for four periods where we’d teach them some footy, go on runs with them, it’s a good thing for them to have ... and Joeve (Cooper) and I really enjoyed it.
“Community services ... it’s what I want to do after footy.
“We started the program last year and we really enjoyed it. I like teaching and helping people out and I think that’s probably what I like about it the most and it gets me where I want to go.”
The exciting Murray Bushranger caught the eye of recruiters and clubs during a memorable 2023 season.

A year to remember: Shepparton United talent Oscar Ryan was a standout for the Murray Bushrangers in 2023. Photo: Graham Denholm/AFL Photos Photo by Graham Denholm/AFL Photos
Ryan finished runner-up best-and-fairest for the Coates Talent League outfit as he starred across half-back and through the midfield with his clean skills, intercepting and ball-winning ability.
He earned selection for Vic Country at the National Championships and it was at that level where he displayed traits of a gun defender ― elite decision-making and ability to cut through opposition lines ― and started to make clubs sit up and take notice.
But for those who know Ryan best, this was just another step in the right direction for a talent who showcased so much excitement as a junior.
Those days of being named best-afield at senior Goulburn Valley League level as a 16-year-old helped shape him into the star player he is quickly becoming.
An invite to the National Draft Combine ensured from his efforts for Victoria and he gave onlookers a further glimpse at his talents with a strong showing in the 20m sprint.
“I got three (seconds) flat twice in a row, which is a bit rigged, I’m not sure how you can get that twice in a row,” he said with a laugh.
“I was happy with my score; I’ve done a bit of work on that and it’s good to see that pay off.
“That’s sort of my main asset (breaking lines). Taking the game on is probably what I’m best at and as a half-backer you need to be able to do that and I love being able to do it.”

Young gun: Oscar Ryan turned heads during the start of his senior career with Shepparton United. Photo by Aydin Payne
Those three days at the combine also featured meetings with AFL clubs ― even if his beloved Dees haven’t come knocking.
“It was a pretty nervous time,” Ryan said.
“It was a long three days, but it was a good three days too. I had around eight clubs meet with me ... it’s very exciting, but it’s also very intimidating as well.
“They (Melbourne) haven’t spoken to me, so I’m a bit down on it, nah it’s all right, I can’t expect to speak with every club. You can’t pick where you go and you’ve got to accept it.
“It was cool meeting all the coaches, it was surreal really. They don’t give you too much, they don’t give you any indication that they might pick you.”
Which brings us to draft week.
The emotions one can experience are well documented, with hundreds of draft hopefuls set to have their life impacted in one way or another.
For the crop of players expected to go in the top 20 or so picks it’s not as daunting a week as others, but there are always heartbreak tales.
Ryan knows it will be a “major shock” if his name is read out on night one of the two-day event ― with Tongala star Harley Reid set to go pick one.
Two rounds will be completed tonight, followed by rounds three, four, five, six and seven on Tuesday evening.
Ryan may be joined at AFL level by another Goulburn Valley talent, with Shepparton youngster and Oakleigh Charger Boston Dowling tipped to get his name read out.
Although he has “no idea” of what to expect at the draft, Ryan is soaking it all up in the only way he knows how.

Enjoy the moment: Oscar Ryan is soaking up the build-up to the AFL Draft. Photo by Aydin Payne
“You’ve got to enjoy it; it’s only going to come around once in your life,” Ryan said.
“It’s a stressful time and a hard time, but at the same time it’s a good thing to look forward to and I’m just trying to enjoy it.
“People ask me ‘do you know where you’re going?’ and I honestly have no idea, you probably know more than me.
“You can’t control the draft and what’s going to happen, so I’m sort of doing things that can help me take my mind off things.
“Hanging out with my mates, training for footy, working with the kids ... I’m just trying to keep my mind off it.”
And what about his Plan B?
“I’ve got a plan B if I don’t (get drafted), but I don’t really think about it too much. My main goal is to get drafted,” Ryan said.
“If it doesn’t happen, it’s not the end of the world, I’ve got a back-up plan, but hopefully the first plan works out, but if not, I’ve got the second plan.”

SRP Mud Dogs have that dog in them with sizzling win in GVBBL 4 opener
Gallery | Sporties do indeed spit fire in GVBBL thriller
Gallery | Velvet Tigers roar to victory over Shepp Lawn
He's certainly got the Maynard profile.

Don’t think it’s crazy to say it’s too early to criticise a speculative pick when 95% of this board gets their draft knowledge from youtube highlights and ESPN power rankings.

That's not what you said though, is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if this means we have no intention of chasing Isaac Cumming as a Free Agent at the end of next year..

Tex has surely been in that lads ear about coming over to us..

Rather him as our Brodie Smith replacement..

Wonder if this means we have no intention of chasing Isaac Cumming as a Free Agent at the end of next year..

Tex has surely been in that lads ear about coming over to us..

Rather him as our Brodie Smith replacement..

This would make no difference in our chase for Issac Cummins if he's interested in coming here.

Feels like we our building a team for finals, hard tough players that will lay it all on the line for the team
We are also accruing a lot of very good field kicking players and versatile ones to go with the toughness and we have a great mix of left and right footers too. This list build is really starting to buzz now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back