Welcome Welcome to Adelaide: Oscar Ryan - Pick 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Bickley on why he didn't present the guernsey to Oscar Ryan. Basically the Fox Footy producer told Bickley prior to our last pick "All the invited players have been picked, so you don't need to do a presentation" because the producers didn't realize Oscar Ryan was in the building. So Bickley went off to have a beer with someone, but once they realized Ryan there they couldn't find Bickley, so Nicks had to do it.

Mark Bickley on why he didn't present the guernsey to Oscar Ryan. Basically the Fox Footy producer told Bickley prior to our last pick "All the invited players have been picked, so you don't need to do a presentation" because the producers didn't realize Oscar Ryan was in the building. So Bickley went off to have a beer with someone, but once they realized Ryan there they couldn't find Bickley, so Nicks had to do it.

Fair enough, but it didnt faze Nicks who was very good to ensure that Oscar was welcomed to the Crows.

We are also accruing a lot of very good field kicking players and versatile ones to go with the toughness and we have a great mix of left and right footers too. This list build is really starting to buzz now
The focus on field kicking after years of not being a focus is a pleasant change.

He is an Andrew McPherson replacement.

Looks like a right footed Brayden Maynard enforcer type to me. Looks that goods!

Plays nothing like Andrew McPherson but, he's now the closest player we have to Brodie Smith, no doubt with Brodie fast approaching his 32nd year Oscar will likely be looked at as his replacement down back when Brodie pulls up stumps. Really the only difference in their styles is Oscar has a fair bit harder edge to his game.
It's easy to forget that Brodie had a pretty fearless edge to his own game prior to some big concussions and seems to have managed himself accordingly since. Reckon he even had an on-field seizure after a knock maybe 2015?

It's easy to forget that Brodie had a pretty fearless edge to his own game prior to some big concussions and seems to have managed himself accordingly since. Reckon he even had an on-field seizure after a knock maybe 2015?
I was at the Pies game in 2015 where he was best on ground, then suffered a head knock late in the game, was it that game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the Pies game in 2015 where he was best on ground, then suffered a head knock late in the game, was it that game?

Yep, Trav Varcoe slung Smith after Brodie had disposed of the ball causing him to hit his head on an opponent’s knee.

Was convulsing on the ground afterwards yet we still played him the next week. Insane.

Plays nothing like Andrew McPherson but, he's now the closest player we have to Brodie Smith, no doubt with Brodie fast approaching his 32nd year Oscar will likely be looked at as his replacement down back when Brodie pulls up stumps. Really the only difference in their styles is Oscar has a fair bit harder edge to his game.
Smith on list. McPherson gone. McPherson could have been the right half back flank. He's gone. Ryan can be right half back flank. Hence the term replacement.

From the article above..

His rebounding, intercepting and speed had the Crows enamoured with the Shepparton product.

So keen were the Crows on Ryan, national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie didn’t want to take any risks on Monday night.

“That one was more on our talent order more so than need, we rated him highly and knew that we could probably manipulate a little bit depending on what was left but I didn’t want the guys to take a risk,” he said.

“I wanted to take him then rather than try and accumulate stock because we knew West Coast and Brisbane were coming pretty quickly behind us.

“We rated him really highly, he was a player we sort of targeted if we were going to have three or four picks and he was going to be one we hoped we would take with our third or fourth pick.

“He is a great kid and you are going to love to watch him play, he has movement, skill and is really dynamic.”

If this kid comes on really quickly, which is what I am predicting, we are really going to find it difficult to select our back 6. the competition for spots is truly on for our backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back