All about Trump

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm under-slept, haven't had Weet-Bix, and haven't had the coffee which can make these things better. There might be more incoherence than usual.

No one can pretend that the US judicial system isn't a farce, not least because it is embedded in politics. I can't comment on the particularities of Roe v Wade, except that I've also been given to understand that it took some creative reasoning to get there.

Without being able to comment of the particularities, I understand that the reasoning in Dobbs is just as weak as the case it overturns.

So yes, politics over jurisprudence. They can find enough plasticity within their Constitution to arm their citizens against each other, but they can no longer empower federal authority to secure women's rights to their own body.

What can we expect in a system where judges need the green light from a hopelessly partisan legislature? Where they are publicly grilled on their opinion on past decisions and for some sense of what they might do in the future?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The decision the other day isn't a victory for the legal system; it's a win for religious zealotry.

Reproductive laws will devolve to the States, just like here, but the implications of that for the women in at least 20 States which don't have a Vic-style Menhennitt ruling to fall back on will be shitful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as for why this discussion is taking place in a Trump thread, rather than (say) a random thread, is beyond my ability to fathom. But it at least fits the theme of our discussion: another shitful decision.
This is an appropriate thread if only for the reasons I mentioned in a post just before.

This isn't the end of it, same sex marriage is next on the agenda according to one of the Justices.

The USA was a divided country since Trump came into power and it is only going to get worse.

Trump and these issues are very much entwined.

This is an appropriate thread if only for the reasons I mentioned in a post just before.

This isn't the end of it, same sex marriage is next on the agenda according to one of the Justices.

The USA was a divided country since Trump came into power and it is only going to get worse.

Trump and these issues are very much entwined.

I don't like it, Maggie, reducing every American issue to the tawdry hustler that is D. Trump. I just don't like it.

But yes, the zealots have a broader agenda, and they're feeling pretty good about things at the moment.

States will think of more and more creative ways to secure the law against abortion, and the SC won't offer the citizens of those States any support at all.

Now the repeal of gay rights will be front and centre.

I don't like it, Maggie, reducing every American issue to the tawdry hustler that is D. Trump. I just don't like it.

But yes, the zealots have a broader agenda, and they're feeling pretty good about things at the moment.

States will think of more and more creative ways to secure the law against abortion, and the SC won't offer the citizens of those States any support at all.

Now the repeal of gay rights will be front and centre.
Think we just might be having our first tiff.:)

Trump nominated the last two Justices, McConnell one going against the norm on how Justices are appointed when there was a vacancy under Obama.
All three have lied under oath during their nomination questioning.

Trump used this throughout his term in office and is currently boasting about about it. The USA is stuffed and alot can be attributedd to Trump's presidency and aftermath.

He is very much relevant to the discussion IMO.

Further it isn't as if this will be the only thread on our forum that might go off topic occasionally.

Think we just might be having our first tiff.:)

Trump nominated the last two Justices, McConnell one going against the norm on how Justices are appointed when there was a vacancy under Obama.
All three have lied under oath during their nomination questioning.

Trump used this throughout his term in office and is currently boasting about about it. The USA is stuffed and alot can be attributedd to Trump's presidency and aftermath.

He is very much relevant to the discussion IMO.

Further it isn't as if this will be the only thread on our forum that might go off topic occasionally.

Not a tiff; some temporary confusion until you acknowledge that I am both right and righteous...

Don is certainly relevant to the issue, but the issue goes well beyond Don.

Trump himself was mostly symptom rather than cause of America's deep trouble.

I'll give you time to come around to my thinking.

Not a tiff; some temporary confusion until you acknowledge that I am both right and righteous...

Don is certainly relevant to the issue, but the issue goes well beyond Don.

Trump himself was mostly symptom rather than cause of America's deep trouble.

I'll give you time to come around to my thinking.
Can I give you one of these? :thumbsdown:

Trump is a cancer not a symptom.

All about Trump

Former President Donald Trump called Friday’s Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade “the biggest WIN for LIFE in a generation” — and gave himself credit for the outcome in the controversial decision to undo federal abortion rights.

Trump nominated three of the five conservative Supreme Court justices who voted to overturn Roe v. Wade: Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett.

That trio provided the margin of victory in the decision, which revoked the constitutional right to abortion that had existed for nearly a half-century. Justice Samuel Alito wrote the majority opinion in the case, which Justice Clarence Thomas also joined in support.

Trump, in a statement, said Friday’s ruling and other recent court decisions “were only made possible because I delivered everything as promised, including nominating and getting three highly respected and strong Constitutionalists confirmed to the United States Supreme Court.”

“It was my great honor to do so!” Trump said.

I support women’s rights to an abortion, but I must admit I find it hard to see how the U.S. Constitution provides for that right under an amendment relating to privacy.

I support women’s rights to an abortion, but I must admit I find it hard to see how the U.S. Constitution provides for that right under an amendment relating to privacy.

Trying to make an 18th or 19th century document more relevant to the late 20th/early 21st century will often require some creativity. Perhaps Roe v Wade took it further than most?

But right now there are a bunch of judges who don't think that the Constitution should be read as a 'living' document at all, that it should be interpreted as close to its original meaning as possible.

To me, that's an even more dangerous fiction, especially given that the Constitution was written and has been interpreted over centuries by some of the most impressive exponents of rank hypocrisy.

On a similar argument kinda hard to see how the second amendment doesn’t hand gun control to the Federal Legislature. But I freely admit Constitutional Law is a long way above my pay grade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a similar argument kinda hard to see how the second amendment doesn’t hand gun control to the Federal Legislature. But I freely admit Constitutional Law is a long way above my pay grade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of my most enduring virtues is that I will not let ignorance stand between me and a ramble.

I'm generous that way.

Trying to make an 18th or 19th century document more relevant to the late 20th/early 21st century will often require some creativity. Perhaps Roe v Wade took it further than most?
There should be federal laws protecting women’s rights regardless of whether it appears in their constitution. It’s 2022 FFS. But obviously their political system is stymied by religious zealotry.

U.S. Supreme Court apparently just voted 6-3 to allow teachers in public schools to lead students in prayer, further trampling their delineation between church and state.

images-1.fit_lim.size_2000x.v1656451619.png

This is a story about the testimony which has Don dribbling his special brand of vomit.

Wanted the metal detectors turned off, even to allow people with guns into Capitol building, because they were 'his people'.

Absolute fraud of a human being.

This is a story about the testimony which has Don dribbling his special brand of vomit.

Wanted the metal detectors turned off, even to allow people with guns into Capitol building, because they were 'his people'.

Absolute fraud of a human being.
I miss him on Twitter.

U.S. Supreme Court apparently just voted 6-3 to allow teachers in public schools to lead students in prayer, further trampling their delineation between church and state.

A high school football coach kneeling in prayer in the context of his duties as a public educator, and the Supreme Court can't see a problem with it.

If the bloke had unrolled a prayer mat and bowed towards Mecca then, I think, they might have seen the problem.

A high school football coach kneeling in prayer in the context of his duties as a public educator, and the Supreme Court can't see a problem with it.

If the bloke had unrolled a prayer mat and bowed towards Mecca then, I think, they might have seen the problem.

Did you see the recent Australian census results? 44% Christian, down from 71% in 1996 and 96% in 1911.

39% “no religion”, up from 22% only ten years ago, and 1% (!) in the 1960’s.

Abandoning God: Christianity plummets as ‘non-religious’ surges in census

The U.S. may be going in the same general direction as us, albeit more slowly, but you wouldn’t know it from the way their politics are played out…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back