List Mgmt. Where are they now? (ex suns)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if we would consider him an ex Sun (although he did play for our NEAFL team) but a former assistant coach of ours is now the senior coach of the Surfers Paradise Demons QAFL team. Congrats to Matty Lappin on his appointment and I can't help but think the more former AFL players we inject into local GC footy, the better.

310937190_5520464704701533_4797061186160566541_n.png

Not sure if we would consider him an ex Sun (although he did play for our NEAFL team) but a former assistant coach of ours is now the head coach of the Surfers Paradise Demons QAFL team. Congrats to Matty Lappin on his appointment and I can't help but think the more former AFL players we inject into local footy, the better.

310937190_5520464704701533_4797061186160566541_n.png
One of the best blokes I've ever met in my life, onya Skinny.

Our former interim head coach Dean Solomon has moved back to the Gold Coast and taken up a coaching role at the Tweed Coast Tigers after his short stint with GWS in Sydney. Good to see a footy person of his ilk returning to the Gold Coast, especially one who has an association with us that stretches back to 2010.

I1grQLw.jpg

Our former interim head coach Dean Solomon has moved back to the Gold Coast and taken up a coaching role at the Tweed Coast Tigers after his short stint with GWS in Sydney. Good to see a footy person of his ilk returning to the Gold Coast, especially one who has an association with us that stretches back to 2010.

I1grQLw.jpg
Wonder if he’s giving up on coaching life and moving on.

Wonder if he’s giving up on coaching life and moving on.
I'd guess so. He tried to land the senior coaching jobs at Freo and Essendon but neither process ended well for him and you could argue the Fremantle situation was the beginning of the end for him at our club. He seems happy to settle into life on the Tweed with his Salt Gym business and local coaching role at the Tweed Coast Tigers. Who could blame him?

From our perspective, it'd be nice if Solomon could work on nurturing young talent from the Northern Rivers into our academy program. It's a bit of an untapped resource for us at the moment.

I'd guess so. He tried to land the senior coaching jobs at Freo and Essendon but neither process ended well for him and you could argue the Fremantle situation was the beginning of the end for him at our club. He seems happy to settle into life on the Tweed with his Salt Gym business and local coaching role at the Tweed Coast Tigers. Who could blame him?

From our perspective, it'd be nice if Solomon could work on nurturing young talent from the Northern Rivers into our academy program. It's a bit of an untapped resource for us at the moment.
In the article Solomon said he still has AFL ambitions down the track if opportunities come up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not as he’s just accepted another coaching position. But I assume you mean senior AFL coaching?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep, AFL coaching probably seems in the rear view mirror now he is 10+ tiers away from AFL head coach.

Anything good that happened in the coaching department when McKenna was here was down to Hinkley
I know some will likely disagree but I've always been of the firm belief that Hinkley should have been installed as our head coach when they reviewed Bluey's performance at the end of the 2012 season. Unfortunately we took the conservative approach and stuck fat with McKenna and we know how it all ended. Conversely, Hinkley goes to Port who were close to rock bottom themselves after two really poor seasons in 2011 & 2012 and immediately gets them back into the finals in 2013 & 2014. They only just missed the finals in 2015 & 2016 and then back into the finals again in 2017. Then another two seasons of just missing the finals by a single win in 2018 & 2019 before jumping into the top 2 in 2020 and 2021. 2022 was probably the worst year under Hinkley and even then it wasn't that bad after finishing just two wins behind 8th position. I suspect they'll be back in the finals next year after securing Horne-Francis.

It really does seem like picking Guy McKenna over Ken Hinkley at the end of 2012 was a sliding doors moment for our club.

Bond University line up possibly the state's most formidable coaching trio in Andy Lovell, Matt Kennedy and Shaun Hart.

f8a0a527e79df99e242ad56ac54762b8

Southport Sharks stalwart Andrew Boston is returning to Fankhauser Reserve in a new role as assistant coach for 2023.
AFL clubs are believed to be showing interest in Southport Sharks forward Max Pescud after a strong season in the VFL. The 20-year-old booted 29 goals and 21 behinds, and notched 343 disposals in the 2022 season.
Labrador are also in search of a new coach after Nick Malceski informed the club he was stepping away.
The Broadbeach Cats have snared a major signing with AFL premiership player Jacob Townsend moving to the QAFL for 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back