Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Lobb gets an unnecessary hard wrap on here sometimes.

We all know he isn't the best but is a massive upgrade on our depth from what we previously have seen (i.e Cordy and Dunkley in the ruck).

His last four games of 2023 were:

Vs GEE 16 disposals 3 goals

Vs WCE 14 disposals 3 goals

Vs HAW 14 disposals 2 goals

Vs RICH 13 disposals 2 goals

Those are great stats for a 2nd Ruck / 3rd KPF + his ruck work which was decent.

I know he had a shocking game against Melbourne but so did a lot of the team.

Yes, we have Darcy coming through and he looks to be a real real player. However, I believe having Lobb there to take some of the pressure off, help mentor and provide another option can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
I feel like Lobb gets an unnecessary hard wrap on here sometimes.

We all know he isn't the best but is a massive upgrade on our depth from what we previously have seen (i.e Cordy and Dunkley in the ruck).

His last four games of 2023 were:

Vs GEE 16 disposals 3 goals

Vs WCE 14 disposals 3 goals

Vs HAW 14 disposals 2 goals

Vs RICH 13 disposals 2 goals

Those are great stats for a 2nd Ruck / 3rd KPF + his ruck work which was decent. I know he had a shocking game against Melbourne but so did a lot of the team.

Yes, we have Darcy coming through and he looks to be a real real player. However, I believe having Lobb there to take some of the pressure off and provide another option can only be a good thing.
This. Plus we committed to a player who was in contract and got him over, we didn't baulk like others cough*Essendon*cough and change our minds because we were trying to win the trade.

i know we have Tim. JUH and Bailey to sort out. I also would be getting a 3 year deal offer to Buku before other clubs come sniffing around. I can see him being a very good as a 3rd tall/medium interceptor when JOD comes into the team. He is a one grab mark with a very good vertical leap and will keep improving with more games.

Lobb is the best depth we've had for awhile. If anyone of JUH, Naughton, Darcy or English go down, he is straight back into the team. He can play all those roles. Much better compared to Bruce (post 2021), Shache and Sweet.
He is 31 and I doubt he will go to his 4th club unless he spends 80% of the Season in VFL.

Exactly. So weird to see bulldogs fans annoyed at having quality tall depth. It can’t be under estimated that it improves our bargaining position with English too. We don’t need to sell the farm to keep him like we would have if we had Darcy and….??? as next in line. I’d have preferred one year less on his agreement but I am confident his place on our list will be vindicated over time even if he doesn’t place in the Coleman.

Exactly. So weird to see bulldogs fans annoyed at having quality tall depth. It can’t be under estimated that it improves our bargaining position with English too. We don’t need to sell the farm to keep him like we would have if we had Darcy and….??? as next in line. I’d have preferred one year less on his agreement but I am confident his place on our list will be vindicated over time even if he doesn’t place in the Coleman.
I get the counter-balance argument though. It is fair to say that it's not a perfect allocation of the salary cap to be paying so much to a player playing in your reserves, even if it's only for a few games. For all the handwringing about English' contract, for example, and ignoring the fact that people will call this "overpaid", if we could take the $1 million that Lobb is being paid this year and next, get a minimum contract guy in, and then pay the difference to English's next contract to guarantee he stays, we would do that in a heartbeat.

That being said, it's not unusual for a highly paid player to be in the reserves. Even Macrae is paid more than Lobb. But it shows the perspective - people are not talking about Macrae's in the reserves specficially about his contract anywhere near as much as Lobb, it's just that Lobb was recruited from another club.

i know we have Tim. JUH and Bailey to sort out. I also would be getting a 3 year deal offer to Buku before other clubs come sniffing around. I can see him being a very good as a 3rd tall/medium interceptor when JOD comes into the team. He is a one grab mark with a very good vertical leap and will keep improving with more games.
He played a good game on the weekend sure but 3 years is wild for what he has produced

So on the back of 1 really good game in a row we are signing him for 3 years?

So on the back of 1 really good game in a row we are signing him for 3 years?

Don’t think the poster is basing it on the one game. I think the basis is more on the attributes he brings and will be a better player when JOD or a similar type comes in and Buku can play that 3rd tall

Stand to be corrected by OD

Last edited:
Re: Bailey at F1…. Good on him!
Was a damn inconsiderate fixture move having Doggies game on same day as GP!
Nearly missed the F1 start, watching Ballarat game!
Seriously.. It’s THE biggest Australian motorsport event of the year!
Next the dunderheads at AFL will have a match on the first Tuesday in November!

Some unrestricted FAs that could be of interest to us:

Isaac Cumming
Liam Duggan
Oliver Florent
Elliot Himmelberg
Harry Perryman
Lewis Melican
James Borlase
Darcy MacPherson
Tom Campbell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some unrestricted FAs that could be of interest to us:

Isaac Cumming
Liam Duggan
Oliver Florent
Elliot Himmelberg
Harry Perryman
Lewis Melican
James Borlase
Darcy MacPherson
Tom Campbell
Duggan :hearteyes:

Like both Perryman and Cumming but imagine to leave that GWS setup currently you'd probably have to overpay a fair bit, so probably not worth it. Borlase has shown some pretty decent signs hasn't he? Think he is just on their rookie list after being de-listed last off-season, but would like to bring in some young KPD depth like him to develop instead of needing to rely on Gardner / Keath going forward.

Nup. Lobb will be done in a couple of years leaving us with Darcy and Smith.

Need to capitalise on us having one of the best rucks in the comp and another who’s likely to become the best.

Unless English wants out, I wouldn’t trade him.
I think Jordan Croft (201cm if you believe our website), or even Mitchell Croft (taller against) once he’s done with volleyball, eventually becomes the KF/2nd ruck once English is done/gone and Darcy is the main man.

Duggan :hearteyes:

Like both Perryman and Cumming but imagine to leave that GWS setup currently you'd probably have to overpay a fair bit, so probably not worth it. Borlase has shown some pretty decent signs hasn't he? Think he is just on their rookie list after being de-listed last off-season, but would like to bring in some young KPD depth like him to develop instead of needing to rely on Gardner / Keath going forward.
Perryman is a good utility while Cumming is completely out of favour at GWS even when fit. Duggan is the one, especially as a UFA.

Perryman is a good utility while Cumming is completely out of favour at GWS even when fit. Duggan is the one, especially as a UFA.
Perryman looked pretty handy on a wing a little while back, feel like he’s fallen out of favour a bit too though and haven’t seen much of him recently

Who have we got in the KPD pipeline? Croft?

Liam Jones might only be good for another year. Keath is near the end, Buss is possibly only an interceptor or third tall like Khamis ( who isn’t even tall). Gardner is looking like a break-glass option only.

I think it remains a priority for next off season. Especially a big bodied type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back