Player Watch Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

The only thing I note about Burton is that he is tackling less than previous years. He may be being used a bit differently, more offensively I guess.

If this club and coach have any on field standards at all then he must be dropped this week. You couldn't possibly show players the edit from that game and endorse his effort. It wasn't at the standard of a professional sportsman.

He didnt have a good game, and I have no problems dropping him if there is a more in-form player available ... But geez, some of the crap being sprouted here is peak Bigfooty!

He seems to want to play bruise free football to me. Can he be damaging with ball in hand, yes, but his lack of defensive effort, for a defender, is a total liability.

He didnt have a good game, and I have no problems dropping him if there is a more in-form player available ... But geez, some of the crap being sprouted here is peak Bigfooty!
We moved on Bonner for playing pretty much exactly the same way. He'd want to pull his finger out.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Burton almost played like Bonner with the lack of thirst for the contest and weak tackling hoping his field kicking will get him over the line. It is just the lack of defensive running from a defender that kills it. He has been prone to do that for years.

You have to send a message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't comment on his defensive efforts because i don't recall any specific instances from the game but i think the club is definately playing him in a more offensive rebounding half back role, as opposed to actually using him for defending.

This is also what i remember of him from his time at Hawthorn..

The question is wether this is what we need if we also have Houston and Farrell playing a similar role

His stats also indicate that. It's a small sample size but he has improved in these regards, so i don't think he fully deserves some of the criticism he's getting

Disposals22.515.3
Disp eff % / Kick eff %84.4 / 80.679.2 / 77.6
Rebounds64.5
Meters Gained575.5408.6
Disposals per clanger157
Disposal per turnover7.55.3
def 1v101.4

Incredible that we forced Bonner out to keep this guy instead
Yes. I too miss our defensive juggernaut in Bonner
Bonner is an awful defender, but has potential on the wing. Instead we've been unable to trade Clurey and have him playing there at SANFL level.

If Clurey got traded, and Bonner stayed, I could have easily seen Bonner on the wing for us at AFL level, and Burgoyne pushed back to the SANFL wing with Lorenz.

I would have kept him over Burton. At least Bonner looks like he wants to be out on the field.

If we had Bonner in the team right now playing in Burton's role or on the wing, you would all be over in the Riley Bonner thread complaining about him instead of Burton.

Someone always has to be the whipping boy

The annoying thing with Burton is he is more than capable of playing a good defensive game. I recall him completely blanketing Toby Greene and Charlie Cameron

It is all attitude. Or instruction.

My comparison of Burton with Bonner is more the heartlessness in the contest and not having either the ability or the athleticism to run back to defend or chase. He is also prone to allow his man, even in a stoppage off half back a bit too much leniency and sling shot goals are possible, just because he won't man up and then when he sees the heels of his opponent jogs to cover.

There were just more obvious examples on the weekend but he had one in the 1st game against the West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back