Preview Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval, Friday 26 April, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure. i was surprised that they queried Ross considering his lengthy diatribe, if Ross said , 'what don't you understand about "LDL", does anyone know what that means or did i mishear it ?
Without having been there LDL would be an acronym for “long down the line”

The concept that you're hiding behind a keyboard if you criticise the coach of the team you follow (on a footy forum, no less), and you should "man up" and go and say it to his face is one of stupidest things I've read in a while.

FMD

Seriously
Apparently you’re lacking context in that nuanced discussion 🧐

I'd like to see us tinker with the forward line this week. Bring in King Hayes and Collard and try Nasiah up there. Hammer and Sharman back to the 2s to find consistent form. Need some manic pressure up forward too.
Geez poor old Coops is getting not much sympathy. Been filling in for Maso whilst we're getting routinely pumped in defense.
I expect he'll be up forward shortly and kicking goals.

Ok, so I'll write a few things down and see where I end up. Apologies if I waffle a bit.

Today's training was rough, as evidenced by those soft Brains Trust folk who scattered from their usual position on the fence at the first drop of rain. It actually came down hard for a good 5-10 minutes. But it was too good of an opportunity not to throw out a quick drive by.

We were pretty sloppy today I'm not going to lie, and Ross was not a happy camper for a lot of the simulations. I don't want to go into specific moments or players. But I will say he was quite vocal, pretty demonstrative and made the guys repeat exercises multiple times until they got it right. Today was definitely the definition of a training rocket.

Another to have his angry pants on today was Jack Steele. You've got to think it's a bit of a direction from the leaders at the club to not take any s**t today and push the standards.

The pressure and intensity was certainly up from most sessions. Instead of just practising precise kicking, it was precise kicking under pressure. Sounds obvious, but there is clearly a feeling about this week that if we do lose, it won't be from a lack of trying or intensity - hopefully that's just not wishful thinking on my behalf.

So the bibs in match sim went on Matteas, Bonner, Garcia, Cordy, Dow and obviously the ones playing vfl. Not to say anything about selections, but maybe it's a subtle message especially to Matteas.

Howard in the main squad in match sim, man we miss Webster who has been very good at training - I guess no match recovery has him very fresh.

One guy who really impressed me today was Ben Paton. He played as a tagging mid in the sim and did not hold back. Tough and held his own, actually really surprised me how well he went considering how much time he has missed.

I'm a bit impatient with wanting Dow straight in, it's the right call to start him off in the VFL. I don't have to like the idea, but that's why I'm just a supporter. Trained well, starting to work closely with Marshall, its only training but he's looking very clean and accurate by hand and foot.

King probably touch and go, hopefully he gets up. Same old story really, Hugo driving standards in a maniacal way, Hill and Windy among the best trainers. Poor Mitchito really has the weight of the world on his shoulders, you can see he is putting the work in but I'm worried it's not really kicking in yet.

Henry and Crouch putting the work in in their comebacks, there's something about Henry. I can't put my finger on it, but he's just got that something special. Wood with the fluoro, we look so much more capable with him out there though.

Word of warning about Arie, he WILL absolutely make it and he will probably play 200+ games. But he will absolutely frustrate early days, just like Nas has a weapon - he's not always going to pull it off. His football seems immature, which is totally fine for where he is at - we just need to be patient with him.

It's a wait and see now, I don't want to have any expectations. I've expected wins and losses based on what I've seen on the track but in reality, I've decided it's not a great indicator of how they'll go on the weekend.
Thanks for the information.

Based on your possible VFL's does that mean Jones is getting a reprieve?

Would love to Arie get a game but sounds like it might be a little while still. Did Collard train fully?

Ok, so I'll write a few things down and see where I end up. Apologies if I waffle a bit.

Today's training was rough, as evidenced by those soft Brains Trust folk who scattered from their usual position on the fence at the first drop of rain. It actually came down hard for a good 5-10 minutes. But it was too good of an opportunity not to throw out a quick drive by.

We were pretty sloppy today I'm not going to lie, and Ross was not a happy camper for a lot of the simulations. I don't want to go into specific moments or players. But I will say he was quite vocal, pretty demonstrative and made the guys repeat exercises multiple times until they got it right. Today was definitely the definition of a training rocket.

Another to have his angry pants on today was Jack Steele. You've got to think it's a bit of a direction from the leaders at the club to not take any s**t today and push the standards.

The pressure and intensity was certainly up from most sessions. Instead of just practising precise kicking, it was precise kicking under pressure. Sounds obvious, but there is clearly a feeling about this week that if we do lose, it won't be from a lack of trying or intensity - hopefully that's just not wishful thinking on my behalf.

So the bibs in match sim went on Matteas, Bonner, Garcia, Cordy, Dow and obviously the ones playing vfl. Not to say anything about selections, but maybe it's a subtle message especially to Matteas.

Howard in the main squad in match sim, man we miss Webster who has been very good at training - I guess no match recovery has him very fresh.

One guy who really impressed me today was Ben Paton. He played as a tagging mid in the sim and did not hold back. Tough and held his own, actually really surprised me how well he went considering how much time he has missed.

I'm a bit impatient with wanting Dow straight in, it's the right call to start him off in the VFL. I don't have to like the idea, but that's why I'm just a supporter. Trained well, starting to work closely with Marshall, its only training but he's looking very clean and accurate by hand and foot.

King probably touch and go, hopefully he gets up. Same old story really, Hugo driving standards in a maniacal way, Hill and Windy among the best trainers. Poor Mitchito really has the weight of the world on his shoulders, you can see he is putting the work in but I'm worried it's not really kicking in yet.

Henry and Crouch putting the work in in their comebacks, there's something about Henry. I can't put my finger on it, but he's just got that something special. Wood with the fluoro, we look so much more capable with him out there though.

Word of warning about Arie, he WILL absolutely make it and he will probably play 200+ games. But he will absolutely frustrate early days, just like Nas has a weapon - he's not always going to pull it off. His football seems immature, which is totally fine for where he is at - we just need to be patient with him.

It's a wait and see now, I don't want to have any expectations. I've expected wins and losses based on what I've seen on the track but in reality, I've decided it's not a great indicator of how they'll go on the weekend.

Ross certainly was angry today, i heard him utter quite a few F bombs, one time when he stopped play and barked at the players i heard 1 player ask, "what are we supposed to be doing", it was like Ross' message was unclear ?
Music to my ears (eyes) this stuff. RTB is grinding out the immaturity but the players are still able to say "WTF coach?"
That's a productive learning dynamic right there.

Great report - only missing one important detail - did you talk to Ross?

Geez poor old Coops is getting not much sympathy. Been filling in for Maso whilst we're getting routinely pumped in defense.
I expect he'll be up forward shortly and kicking goals.
Respect to Coops if he's been doing a different role but what we need him doing is kicking goals and setting them up in the forward line. I feel like he's been average this year, would love to see more from him.

It’s easy to act the hero behind the keyboard and then constantly zero in on posters who have no issues with the guy.

Grow a pair and go down to Linton st and tell the bloke your issues. If you can deliver a fair and reasonable footy argument. He is happy to chat about it.

Suppose that’s that issue here as most cant actually articulate a genuine argument against the bloke other then you don’t like his style of play or he doesn’t say the things you want him too.
Well said Stavro, although you are an unashamed fan and come across a bit weird in your support for RL, you have articulated well a point I agree with.

The fans who have been ultra quick to jump off Ross just highlight the game is designed for a Trump type circus more than ever.

I said it from day one on RLs return, what magic wand had RL found, what magic trick has he found that nooooooo other coach in the competition has been able to find...ever!

Most saw that as an attack on Ross himself which couldn't be further from the truth, and as much as I tried to be clear about my point, it just was not possible to cut through the Trumpism.

The point is, you can have the best coach the game has ever seen, but without talent, you are a feather duster. Moreover, my skeptism, was, AND STILL IS, all about the club itself and the ability for it to overcome a 150 culture. What magic trick have we found that will now all of a sudden procure the required amount of talent to make us successful and relevant?

Ross doesn't have that trick, he's a great coach but he's faced with the same massive challenges all clubs except GCS & GWS have with talent procurement. But it's a supercharged challenge at a poor club like ours that can't find a way to use the word "successful" in its vocabulary.

If we can get away from the Messiah culture, which I don't think we can due to Trumpism, then coaches like Ross are really up against it. For Ross to have any chance of procuring said talent he will need at least 10 years just like Scott was afforded at Geelong to win his first flag, (the 2011 flag was Bombers). That is the only way forward if we are a fighting chance.

Replace the word Ross in all of the above with the coach of your choice if it helps you comprehend the point about the solution being a long term plan.

Playing too many kids at once so that the club gets 100 beltings does not help the players involved to develop.
Not what I'm saying at all.
I'm saying we need to give opportunities to as many young players that are capable, not all at once, and not at the expense of all our experienced players.

Roll the kids in and out, rotating through.
If a young player's output is remotely close to a senior player's output, the kid should be under strong consideration and possibly preference.

Expose the list to understand where the gaps remain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We currently can't win games of football. So, expose the list.
A winning culture is the no1 most important aspect far above all else. By all means blood more kids, but never remove the expectation of playing to win or it will crack the mentally of most of the squad.
We have far to few warriors atm. Windy, Stocker, Battle and Hugo are the ones.
Next rung down Marshall, Steele, Wilkie with Byrnes and Hill trying.
Webster, Crouch and Wood not playing
We're fragile until there's at least a 2/3rds majority that can be listed with the above and infecting kids with that the worst thing we could do.

Not what I'm saying at all.
I'm saying we need to give opportunities to as many young players that are capable, not all at once, and not at the expense of all our experienced players.

Roll the kids in and out, rotating through.
If a young player's output is remotely close to a senior player's output, the kid should be under strong consideration and possibly preference.

Expose the list to understand where the gaps remain.
I tend to agree with this. We’re not playing well, we’re not gelling and we’re not winning games. We keep rolling out the same old cattle and getting the same results it will be immensely frustrating.

It’s probably too early to wipe the season but if we can’t make finals by the bye I’d support full play the kids mode

Respect to Coops if he's been doing a different role but what we need him doing is kicking goals and setting them up in the forward line. I feel like he's been average this year, would love to see more from him.
As would l. I'd much rather have either of Gus or Gus Mac playing and push Bonner to HBF and let Coops go back to his natural habitat. I can only surmise that he's there for his marking ability and probably some development as they need to plan for life without Maso. Either way it's just a patch up job and we shouldn't shoot the poor bastard having to do it.

Ross Lyons time at Fremantle was full of personnel problems - Balic was a problem from the start , but there were many other causality that have been forgotten about.
Shane Yarran is another that killed himself , Colin Sylvia died in a car crash years after playing for Fremantle , Bennell was given a life line from Lyon but due to injury he never showed his worth but he cause many problems however Lyon stood by him.
Shane Kersten was another problem child that slagged Ross , however it was interesting reading when this was said by one of the players.

Blakely said Lyon had worked hard in recent years to improve his relationship with the players.

“He was very brutal and honest and very demanding when I first got to the club,” he said.

“And as he’s come along, he’s almost become a better people’s person. He’s developed relationships a lot better.

“He’s a lot closer to the players than when I first got to the club.”

It seems strange a lot of these players today just can't be told the truth with out them throwing the toys out of the cot.

We got Lyon back so we had a coach that would put the pressure on the guys to perform and if they don't like it they can leave and as we have seen Billings and Gresham wanted out.

We had the soft coaches like Richardson and Ratten and it didn't bring the results we wanted to we went back for a guys that calls a spade a spade.

It's amazing how many of the fans who have become disgruntled so quickly were possibly the same fans heralding his return and delighting in Ross bringing an uncompromising, brutal and demanding style back. And all this against the backdrop of modern coaching styles being the caring, sharing Ted Laso and Craig McCrae trend.

The bottom line is it would be near dam impossible to be successful in any leadership type role during the Trumpism era of mankind.

Last edited:
Things got very toxic at Freo during Ross's time there, and the incident with the female employee that was settled out of court and NDAs signed weren't helpful in the end.

It's amazing how many of the fans who have become disgruntled so quickly were possibly the same fans heralding his return and delighting in Ross bringing an uncompromising, brutal and demanding style back. And all this against the backdrop of modern coaching styles being the caring, sharing Ted Laso and Craig McCrae trend.

The bottom line is it would be near dam impossible to be successful in any leadership type role during the Trumpism era of mankind.
I think your "Trumpism era" references don't really have much relevance or context to the role of an AFL coach in 2024.

Maybe look for another analogy ? Don't get me wrong mate, I do agree with some of the stuff you type. :)

Things got very toxic at Freo during Ross's time there, and the incident with the female employee that was settled out of court and NDAs signed weren't helpful in the end.

Think you’ll find the majority of us who had concerns about Ross’ return were mostly centered around whether he’d modernized gamestyle and player management aspects.

For the record I don’t blame Ross for our current situation but he is the head coach and ultimately he will be accountable for it.

Was another thread that people were happily backing him in regardless of anything to see out his full contract, that’s just wild to me personally.

As would l. I'd much rather have either of Gus or Gus Mac playing and push Bonner to HBF and let Coops go back to his natural habitat. I can only surmise that he's there for his marking ability and probably some development as they need to plan for life without Maso. Either way it's just a patch up job and we shouldn't shoot the poor bastard having to do it.
I've got a lot of faith in Coops. Happy to see him stay in the side of it's as a forward but this back/wing caper isn't working. Caminiti, Membrey, Sharman, it's just really vanilla at the moment and I think we need to change it up by getting Hayes in there.

Membreys last quarter against Dogs probably saved him, hoping he can bring that form into this week. If we can't get our forward line going then we are just not going to win many games. The midfield has been poor but it is really undermanned and we have players coming back there, the forward line looks like it needs a reboot although King should make a huge difference. Henry was an enormous loss too.

I think your "Trumpism era" references don't really have much relevance or context to the role of an AFL coach in 2024.

Maybe look for another analogy ? Don't get me wrong mate, I do agree with some of the stuff you type.

OK, how about "populism".

Being an AFL coach is mostly about populism...footy politics? Hard left, hard right? The average footy fan has the attention span of gold fish...what were we chatting about?

Are you on a shroom bender again CM?

WTF does trumpism have to do with a middling, melbourne-based football club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back