NAB Cup: Rd 4 Western Bulldogs Vs Geelong @ Simmons Stadium

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just confirmed on twitter by the AFL that we get a crack at last years premiers Geelong at Geelong hopefully we do better than the last time

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
any idea on what day and time? Any news on what Willi are doing next week?

3pm on Saturday for dogs

Williamstown has its last prac match today in Ballarat before round 1

Feb 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Falcons, Hawks, Braves
Seeing we play the Cats twice this season I doubt Macca will want to share too much of his inside knowledge this early. Reckon he will focus on our game plan and structure more than worrying about the Cats.

Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fingers crossed, no injuries.

Assuming we field a strong side also, would like to see more of the same.

We've been good in patches but what is clearly evident is we are much better in traffic now. Correct decision making under pressure. Quick and clean hands under pressure.

If we can maintain that intensity against the Cats then this season is all before us.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cats got a little toe up the bum for being lazy against richmond, so this is going to be a full dress rehersal for the real thing, both teams going 99% I reckon.

Stay within 5 goals of them and no serious injuries is my hope.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We can expect near enough best available to play. More or less the round 1 side? Does anyone know the configuration of the sqauds? I'm pretty sure the bench is 3 and 1 as per normal season. But are the squads still 26 and can we swap a few over at half time?

Be interested in what we do with Gia for example. He's played every game I think, and lots of game time. Dahlhaus was sub for a bit against the Blues but otherwise has done a lot.

If Sherman is fit does he get a run, DJ? No Willi game so no chance of a run there.

I reckon if Campbell plays this week....he will play rd 1.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We can expect near enough best available to play. More or less the round 1 side? Does anyone know the configuration of the sqauds? I'm pretty sure the bench is 3 and 1 as per normal season. But are the squads still 26 and can we swap a few over at half time?

Be interested in what we do with Gia for example. He's played every game I think, and lots of game time. Dahlhaus was sub for a bit against the Blues but otherwise has done a lot.

If Sherman is fit does he get a run, DJ? No Willi game so no chance of a run there.

I reckon if Campbell plays this week....he will play rd 1.

I'd be happy for them to rest Gia and Dahlhaus. Gia has played a lot of game time and also took a knock last week, while Dahlhaus was big as a midfielder last week. Give Dickson, Panos, and Skinner full games and some more experience along with Campbell. As you say TK, if he plays well he may be the one to come off the rookie list to replace Williams.

Speaking of Campbell, he really does throw a bit of a spanner in the works in terms of our structure and selection if he comes in.

Firstly his rucking at top level is an unknown factor, but is he valuable enough in the forward line to take Roughead's spot? He also pushes Panos out because we start to look top-heavy with Campbell and Jones as well.

Secondly, his inclusion would probably rule out Cordy playing as a tall backman as we'd be going in with basically 3 ruckmen (Minson, Campbell, Cordy).

mighty seagulls

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Secondly, his inclusion would probably rule out Cordy playing as a tall backman as we'd be going in with basically 3 ruckmen (Minson, Campbell, Cordy).

After reading the reports from the weekend the interesting thing for me is where does Campbell stands in the pecking order of ruckmen.

Before the preseason you would of said:
1. Minson
=2. Cordy
=2. Roughead
4. Campbell
With Minson looking to become our number 1 ruckman after years of being number 2. Cordy and Roughead looking to get into the 22 as the number 2 ruckman and resting up forward. Then Campbell looking to develop as a rookie.

I didn't get to see the game but is it possible that Campbell has become the number 2. It's too early to call after 1 game so it'll be interesting to see if they play him. And if they do how he goes.

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most likely Campbell as impressive as he has been so far will probs stay in the VFL for a few weeks to try and convince the coaching staff to upgrade him ~ Also hoping 'JJ' gets a run seems like everybody else has had one but him and 'The Manbeast' REDPATH

Consider these prospects (and the fact that big players usually don't peak until their mid-20s):
Cordy 203cm - age 21
Campbell 201cm - age 20
Roughead 200cm - age 21
Tom Hill 200cm - age 21 (almost)
Jones 197cm - age 21
And then:
Minson is 198cm - age 27 (almost)
Williams 196cm - age 25
Mulligan 199cm - age 22
And there's also Lake and Talia at 195cm
On evidence so far, only Mulligan seems unlikely to make it.
Of those 10 talls I could only see us playing 4 or 5, maximum 6, in any given week.

What impressed me about Campbell in the match video was the way he moved confidently and always looked a genuine chance to take a grab or get possession.

Then in the post-game interview there was something about him that was very reassuring. He seemed level headed but had that air that he belonged there and was not overawed at suddenly being in the AFL seniors.

I know he's yet to be elevated but I think he's a real prospect and for once we have the luxury of several handy talls.

That depth and competition for ruck/KP spots will be great for the club as long as we don't lose one or two of them due to lack of opportunity.

Then in the post-game interview there was something about him that was very reassuring. He seemed level headed but had that air that he belonged there and was not overawed at suddenly being in the AFL seniors.

I know he's yet to be elevated but I think he's a real prospect and for once we have the luxury of several handy talls.

I loved that about him. He speaks so well, and you just get the feeling he is going to be able to step up and be a part of the senior side. They spoke to him a bit in the family day video as well, and he talks well in that too.
Genuinely excited about him. Out of all our rookies, he is the one most likely to make it, imo. Even though he has only played one game, you just get that feeling about him.

Reminds me a lot of Brad Ottens, the way he plays.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Consider these prospects (and the fact that big players usually don't peak until their mid-20s):
Cordy 203cm - age 21
Campbell 201cm - age 20
Roughead 200cm - age 21
Tom Hill 200cm - age 21 (almost)
Jones 197cm - age 21
And then:
Minson is 198cm - age 27 (almost)
Williams 196cm - age 25
Mulligan 199cm - age 22
And there's also Lake and Talia at 195cm

To top it off, you forgot big Redpath and Fletcher Roberts. The good thing about these guys is that most of them have the ability to play either end or ruck/forward. I think Hill will end up a very nice FB or CHB and Cordy can play just about anywhere.

It's a good year for the selectors to be brave and select guys on merit. A week ago I said no need to elevate, and that still might be the case because Cordy and Roughy are there. But Campbell does look like he could impact sooner than expected. This week will be interesting if he plays. I actually have no issue with 3 of the 4 rucks playing. Especially when they have the flexibilty to impact in many roles.

But I do like the stock of big guys, as you say they have a way to go yet before we see their best. :thumbsu:

Back