Past Andrew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game from Walker last night. Kicked 5. Had 17 disposals, 7 marks and 1 tackle. Pretty easy opponent but good to see he was up and about. Kicked straight and used his speed to catch a couple of opportunistic goals.

Also didn't see him try and tark mark of the year (maybe once).

7 goals from 2 games is a fantastic start. We only need him to kick 2 a game with Jeff, Eddie, Waite, warnock, Hampson, Lachie, Judd, Murph, Gibbs, Simpson, Yaz, Robo and Curnow all likely to hit the scoreboard..... Oh and of corse Thornton!:eek:

Is it starting to click for him? Was so excited to see him kicking goals on the run as well as marking and goaling from set shots.

Kicking for goal is pretty sound. Finally got that mark he has been searching for......wish Sauce didn't move it would've looked better.

Thoughts people?

Carlton must give thanks for Walker

The Blues had great expectations, on the back of Walker's draft position, in those first four or five years. His explosive debut on a rainy day against West Coast - he was best on ground and took a hanger - raised the bar and probably didn't help his cause. Talented players are often measured against what we think they should achieve, not what they actually accomplish.

Brett Ratten later said that Walker had responded to the ''sting'' of being played as the substitute, as the 22nd man, against the Bombers seven days earlier.

art_svWALKER-420x0.jpg

Carlton must give thanks for Walker

Link

Andrew Walker's forward pressure has created 5.2 (32) for the Blues.

Walker is in the competition's top 10.

Walker is third.

Link

You could see the win coming against the Swans with our defensive pressure forcing turnovers in our half.

Great move by Ratten to switch Walker forward and Yarran back to keep the scoreboard pressure on. Moving Yarran back added an elite kick to our defenders, yet maintained the run and spread that Walker brought to the mix. If only we could get Bower and Austin fit to sure up the key positions down back.

Link

Link

You could see the win coming against the Swans with our defensive pressure forcing turnovers in our half.

Great move by Ratten to switch Walker forward and Yarran back to keep the scoreboard pressure on. Moving Yarran back added an elite kick to our defenders, yet maintained the run and spread that Walker brought to the mix. If only we could get Bower and Austin fit to sure up the key positions down back.

:thumbsu: Yes indeed.

Why 'Walks' is kicking on

“I got onto it pretty early and from then on I’ve been trying to get 15 shots on goal every day. It doesn’t sound like many, but when you’ve managed 10-15 every day until now you get your rhythm right.

“I’ve compared film footage of how I’m kicking now with how I used to kick and it’s completely different. I’ve basically restructured everything - how long I walk for and how long I run for in my run-up, how I settle myself before I kick the ball, and even how I make contact.”

Why 'Walks' is kicking on

The funny thing is, Walker has always been a good kick for goal.

:confused:

Happy B'day Walks! Can't believe he is younger then me....Its good though because I still feel like I've got plenty of good footy left in me (probably helps I havent played for 10 years), so he is sorted!

Have I mentioned he is killing it YTD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a great year... I love that he kicked 4 goals against the tiggers and his name is hardly mentioned. He is having a super year and I love how in the last 3 weeks he's been pushing up to the wing, and even the back flank, to provide some drive as well as functioning as a key forward target.

I enjoy the way he goes about his footy - here's hoping he can bring mark of the year as well!!

Having a great year... I love that he kicked 4 goals against the tiggers and his name is hardly mentioned. He is having a super year and I love how in the last 3 weeks he's been pushing up to the wing, and even the back flank, to provide some drive as well as functioning as a key forward target.

I agree. He is just so damn fit and athletic that he can run from the forward line up to the wing and back all day long. During trade week at the end of last year, I was hoping that we would keep him as I felt he had the potential to be a really good player. I'm happy to say though that he has become even better than I hoped he would.

I had really high hopes when he got drafted and i think most people forget he was a number 2... All those years of pain and injury just to have some glimpses last year - like you TBNT I'm glad he stayed - definitely wouldn't let him go now!!

Andrew Walker decides to walk tall
Walker was rejuvenated by the certainty given him and returned to attack a forward role in the best shape -- physically and mentally -- he can remember. Ratten was a more rounded coach who had expertly handled a delicate situation.

"The day I got back it was like the year before had never happened and the trade talk just disappeared," Walker said.

"From that moment I've been able to go in and say what I want and he's been able to say whatever he wants to me.

"It's been great for my development as a footballer, but I think it's done a lot for his coaching as well."
Andrew Walker decides to walk tall

Sakc Ratten.

Re: 2011 Player Review - BF wants you!

Andrew Walker 2011 Season Review : Where the **** did that come from?

After struggling to overcome serious shoulder injuries for a number of years, and giving Carlton fans but flashes of his undoubted potential in that time it came as no surprise that Andrew Walker decided to ‘test the waters’ throughout the 2010 trade period. And of course by test the waters I mean shop himself around like an Amsterdam red light special.

Two strong suitors emerged in the Western Bulldogs and Adelaide...the wisdom of hindsight suggests they may have erred in opting for Sherman and Tambling respectively over our Andy. Fortuitously for us seeing relative fringe dwellers given the nod ahead of himself may well have been the smack with the reality stick the Walker needed to re-consider his position.

As has been reported a frank conversation would take place between player and coach. Walker expressed his frustration at being played out of his preferred position, and pushed hard for a move into the forward 50. Players making such demands are generally informed in no uncertain terms who calls the shots, but a three goal cameo in the elimination final against Sydney in 2010 may well have been the catalyst for Ratten to yield to the request.

Still Walker would enter season 2011 with more question marks than ever. Would the events of the trade period deflate his confidence further, or spur him on to greater things? Rising 25 how would he adjust to yet another role change? Would the spectre of injury derail yet another season? With the list batting deeper than it had for more than a decade could he absorb the pressure and fend off challengers for his spot.

A low key two goal haul in the opening round against Richmond didn’t necessarily confirm the move as a masterstroke, though nor did it harm his chances. A handful a week later against the Gold Coast was perhaps to be expected against an overwhelmed opponent, but his laser like efficiency in kicking five straight raised a few eyebrows...this was never part of the arsenal before.

This would prove to be one of a number of pleasing developments in AW’s game across the season. Let’s start with the numbers...with a previous season best of ten goals it’s fair to say none of us saw a 50+ goal season coming. 56 goals 27 behinds to be exact, good enough for equal fifth across the competition. Perhaps the most significant number was 24. The number of games played, and the just the second time Walker has logged a full complement of games.

The aforementioned accuracy is worth re-visiting. Kicking efficiency had never been a strong point, and caused a few (including your correspondent) to question his place in the modern game. I’ve not seen a greater turnaround in kicking efficiency, a skill that is notoriously difficult to improve. His icing the game with a late goal against St Kilda being the highest profile example of his improvement.

Consistent was not a descriptor often attached to AW’s game either, except when prefaced by the words ‘he needs to be more’. Somehow, someway he found a way in 2011, kicking multiple goals in 17 of 24 games, taking more marks and applying more pressure acts than ever before. His ability to get up the field and into the play in those rare matches when things weren’t working for him up forward was a highlight. So along with consistency I’ll throw in ‘work rate’ to the list of pleasing developments.

And I for one will never forget being there in round 18 to witness Walker rise above Carlisle, and seemingly the upper deck of the Great Southern Stand, light towers, and into the stratosphere to pluck what would be impossible to dislodge as mark of the year...cept’ it wasn’t. Yet another example of delivering on something he first alluded to in his very first game back in 2004.

So really there is nothing left to say other than congratulations Andrew on an outstanding season of football. Congratulations on being rewarded with three more years in Navy Blue, and no doubt you will be pushing yourself harder than ever to improve on the incredible benchmark you have set in season 2011.

This question may have been asked previously.

Is Andrew related to Melbourne Tigers swingman Lucas Walker?

The boys tend to go to the games quite a bit, including Tex, and Lucas follows all of the boys on his Twitter account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back