Review #1: Chris Newman Observatory - Will Retire End of Season

Remove this Banner Ad

just watched the video teared up classy work chris

Yep me too. There is just a real honesty & integrity about Chris. One of his legacies that will really drive this club....Honesty/Integrity. Vital for culture change...Congratulations Chris !!!

:)
Jesus ReaperX, stopping ruining this thread with Goddard finger points and let people show thier love for newey in thier own way. TI is entitled to send Newey of how he wants and frankly I thought he was being fairly polite for TI.
And Likewise to you with that last comment;):thumbsu:
Agree though Newmans first ten seasons were harder than any other guy at punt rd ( barring Knights) . This is why I credited him 29 years:)

Think it goes to show that there's room for sentimentality in footy.

Everyone here would agree that he's only getting a game based on his experience and leadership at present, and that his time has come. I'm glad that he's bowed out gracefully before being unceremoniously dumped like a Chapman or O'Keefe.

Well done on your career Newy, a Tiger for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If every bloke we drafted had the same impact as Newy, we'd be the a bloody good club.... 250+ games of heart and effort. Clubs are built around blokes like that. Gave his all every week. Hasn't had the same on-field impact for a little while but his contribution can never be measured accurately other than by those in the inner sanctum. What a great career. Celebrating our greats has been an area we've needed to improve on and I think we are starting to get better.

I love the fact he is a one club player. Makes me wonder the worth of picking up guys like Yarran who give their all only when it suits.... compare that to when Newy broke his leg in 2006 and a couple of his never say die run-down tackles of blokes this year (not bad for an old bugger) and you just wish we could find all of the guys we need ourselves and not have to bring them in from other clubs. I know it's impossible but I think the ones you find yourself are a bit more special....

And another tiger champion has decided to hang the boots up. What a ripper Chris Newman has been for us as a club both on and off the field. Verymuch an underrated player for much of his career, it is fitting that he goes out being recognised as the absolute champion he was. Taking over the reins as captain through a pretty tough time at the Tigers, Newy handled it with class and was a shining light in a pretty bleak time for the club. A tough, hard, silky left footer who was underrated by almost everyone but Tiger supporters, I would just like to say Thank you for everything that you have done for the Club, and for the supporters Newy. You have been a fantastic role model for many, and the perfect example of what it means to bleed for the club. Enjoy life after football, champ. May you revel in the knowledge that you have been part of returning this once proud club to the powerhouse it deserves to be. When we finally break our premiership drought, know that although you won't be involved in it, you were and will always be a part of it.

He cops a lot on here for no reason. He once again has put the club first.

I hope we go deep in September and if we can't go all the way I hope we can get at least one finals win, as he deserves it.

Great career and a career that needs to be viewed in it's entirety, not thru the lens of a veteran at the end of his time.

But if that's what some wish to do, how was that grab he took from the Lambert centre clearance? That was pure talent.
How was that pass to Ellis off a step (thx Bruce) that travelled 50m in a blink. Great reminders of the ability of Newy.

Some great bomb goals himself on the run from 50, his run down tackles, his body on the line at all times.
He carved a brilliant career and unfortunately played in a team that lacked success thru most of it.
Imagine the accolades he would be getting if he played on a back flank for Geelong, the Lions or hawthorn. Would be a legend.

But he's our legend and his legacy will be the platform he's laid on which a great dynasty will be built.

Well done champion.

Last edited:
Played 264 (So far) of a possible 335 games since arriving at the club in the 2000 draft. No games in his first year (2001), so take off 25, means in seasons he has played a game, he has played 264 of 310 games

A bloke who lead us out of the dark ages of the RFC, probably will never be appreciated as much as he should be for this

Given the graphic on the board, it looks like he announced his retirement at the same time as Foley, surprised that it was only released to us today given so much other news around. I guess Old Balls never was one for the spotlight though, so perhaps it is appropriate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back