Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Drop Kommer and make him tag Walker then Houli then Houli/Shaw/Pittard in the next 3 weeks as a development curve. If we win the final make him tag Duffield/Malceski/Birchall/Mackie the following week.

I'm not entirely convinced that any of the game's elite midfielders are two way runners. Ultimately everyone falls back to be part of a zone but attacking players tend to run hard offensively while defensive players run hard defensively (and both tend to tread water in the middle of the ground).

The ability of some of Sydney's players to at least appear as "box to box" players is quite unique. Playing on a post stamp of a ground may help.

The idea that you should be able to sprint 150m forward and then turn around and sprint 150m back with the same speed and intensity is a bit of a nonsense anyway.

I'm not entirely convinced that any of the game's elite midfielders are two way runners. Ultimately everyone falls back to be part of a zone but attacking players tend to run hard offensively while defensive players run hard defensively (and both tend to tread water in the middle of the ground).

The ability of some of Sydney's players to at least appear as "box to box" players is quite unique. Playing on a post stamp of a ground may help.

The idea that you should be able to sprint 150m forward and then turn around and sprint 150m back with the same speed and intensity is a bit of a nonsense anyway.

That would be all well and good if Zaharakis was an elite player. He is not, and it's the lack of workrate that stands in his way.

Yes, quality playmaking midfielders typically lack defensive output, but that's because the best of them work so hard in attack - instantly on their bike to spread, to make the overlap, to break the lines and get behind the press, to get in and win the disputed ball, etc. Zaharakis has a habit of only turning it on when there's an easy kick available, and that's not just recently. The last two weeks have been terrible, he's saved all his running for the cheapies. If that's down to fitness, he shouldn't be playing.

We all know what Zaka is capable of. I love watching him when he really brings it, but he's got loads of work to do if he's ever going be that elite game-breaker for us.

I'm not entirely convinced that any of the game's elite midfielders are two way runners.
Bartel, perhaps, but he has a particular role that facilitates it. Certainly the defensive mindset runs throughout the Sydney midfield as you've noted, and also did so at St Kilda under Lyon.

It's more a lack of Zaka's and Stant's 2nd & 3rd phase efforts in a passage of play, whether we are moving forward or defensively that is killing us. Their 1st efforts is fine, but it's the endeavour to repeat it, if ball is still in dispute that is absent.

Is Stanton injured? I mean he's meant to be an elite runner is he not? I'm seeing plenty of symmetry in his workrate fluctuations over the last 2-3 years.

Someone like Melksham on the other hand has improved noticeably in this area and is really having an impact on games.

Well he played an incredibly average game but capped it off with a clutch goal and many people will ultimately forgive his poor defensive efforts, again. He is such a front runner it hurts at times to watch him play.

Yep not his best game by the standards he has set himself, but fact of the matter is he could do what 22 chokers in navy blue couldn't.

Well he played an incredibly average game but capped it off with a clutch goal and many people will ultimately forgive his poor defensive efforts, again. He is such a front runner it hurts at times to watch him play.
very harsh imo.
yeah wasnt great for the first 3 quarters but turned it on when it really counted, 11 touches in the last and of course dat goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he may be a downhill skier, but there's no one else in our side I'd rather have with the pill in his hands with less than a minute on the clock.

he must give Malthouse nightmares :D

502532-david-zaharakis.jpg

012614-david-zaharakis.jpg

Needs some variety in clutch goal celebrations.

I actually saw quite a few defensive runs tonight, could have ran forwards, ran back.
Was definitely running both ways last night, which was really good to see. If he does it more consistently then he wil become a complete player.

I agree that his game was average, but I thought his defenive efforts were a lot better than usual. I can forgive him if he can keep sealing games though haha (But in all seriousness, I would much prefer him to reach his potential by playing two-way football on a consistent basis).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back