Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone would agree he didn't have his best game, needs to find confidence & consistency, but he has a lot more to offer the team than Howlett, come on.

Everyone would agree he didn't have his best game, needs to find confidence & consistency, but he has a lot more to offer the team than Howlett, come on.

What's wrong with Howlett? Tackles, applies pressure, is a good kick, is quick enough, goes when it's his turn. He's a good average footballer, sometimes I prefer a player who is all 6s in his attributes, to somebody like Zaharakis who is all 8s and 2s.

What's wrong with Howlett? Tackles, applies pressure, is a good kick, is quick enough, goes when it's his turn. He's a good average footballer, sometimes I prefer a player who is all 6s in his attributes, to somebody like Zaharakis who is all 8s and 2s.

Not much wrong with Howlett at all, I like how he goes about it and you know what you're getting.
Just think with players like Zaka you take the good with the bad because the good is worth it. He just needs to make sure even his bad games are serviceable and there are less of them. I still think he was serviceable.

Shirked a few contests and then plenty of times he would go to tap a high/bouncing ball instead of taking possession, seemingly for fear of being hurt in a tackle. Needs to go back and watch his game closely. Very frustrating to watch.

It's a pretty emotive term to use for someone that seems to go out of their way not to appear to be posting emotionally. It's almost like you're just fishing for reactions.

You probably know as well as anyone I'm not fussed about reactions - good or bad. If I say it then I mean it.

Yeah, it's a strong term. I was nowhere near as talented as Zaka, but I'd never avoid getting hurt. That's what frustrates me about him.

Zaka could be the biggest coward in the world and he'd still be best 22 and I don't even know what the * Howlett is doing in the conversation. man, a 18 touch game with a goal and a massive goal assist (where many players would have just let the ball go over the boundary to lock it in), oh but he didn't endanger himself or something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read an article that pointed out that only a few players currently in the league, have had 30+ possessions and 4 goals in a game. Zaka is one of those few. His best is so so good! obviously I don't expect that from him ever week, but I just want to see him be a more consistent and a more reliable player.

You probably know as well as anyone I'm not fussed about reactions - good or bad. If I say it then I mean it.

Yeah, it's a strong term. I was nowhere near as talented as Zaka, but I'd never avoid getting hurt. That's what frustrates me about him.
Yet there is so much more to being an AFL player than simply pulling on some boots and playing a game.
To do what they have to do requires them to put themselves through endless torture just to even play a game. That in itself requires oodles of courage and determination, and is why no AFL player is a coward.

Yet there is so much more to being an AFL player than simply pulling on some boots and playing a game.
To do what they have to do requires them to put themselves through endless torture just to even play a game. That in itself requires oodles of courage and determination, and is why no AFL player is a coward.
Agree

Except Josh Hunt

Easily best 22. Every player can't be a bull like Watson, you need outside silk. Zaka is in similar roles to Kelly, Stanton and B.J (although B.J did a bit of grunt on Saturday night) in that they create play, use the ball well, receive handballs and do stuff with it.

Some blokes need to take their finger off the trigger, the same guys that were calling for the heads of Ambrose and Stanton two weeks ago are now calling for Zaka and Langford to be dropped.

I guarantee this week Worsfold will go through the tape with Zaka and say things like "in this one you need to body up on him before receiving the ball not wait to tackle him" or "you have to hit that ball harder there to knock Burgoyne off it" - Woosha won't just drop him to the VFL, we need guys like Zaka if we are going to go anywhere, they will be coached to improve their weaknesses and encouraged to use their strengths!

I use the term in a relative sense, as in relative to AFL standard. Same thing as saying a player is a s**t kick. They're better than all of us, but s**t by AFL standard. We can't just change to absolute categorisation for one thing when we don't do it for everything else.

Easily best 22. Every player can't be a bull like Watson, you need outside silk. Zaka is in similar roles to Kelly, Stanton and B.J (although B.J did a bit of grunt on Saturday night) in that they create play, use the ball well, receive handballs and do stuff with it.

Some blokes need to take their finger off the trigger, the same guys that were calling for the heads of Ambrose and Stanton two weeks ago are now calling for Zaka and Langford to be dropped.

I guarantee this week Worsfold will go through the tape with Zaka and say things like "in this one you need to body up on him before receiving the ball not wait to tackle him" or "you have to hit that ball harder there to knock Burgoyne off it" - Woosha won't just drop him to the VFL, we need guys like Zaka if we are going to go anywhere, they will be coached to improve their weaknesses and encouraged to use their strengths!

Most people are not advocating for Zaharakis to be dropped, they're highlighting the obvious weakness in his game on Saturday night. Personally, I've never seen anyone shirk a contest like that. At the same time, I wouldn't be dropping anyone from our round 1 side, especially given we already have at least one forced change. Deserves another chance at least.

I don't get why, all of a sudden, there's an army of people pushing the idea that we can't be critical of players. Zaharakis had a shocker, and looked genuinely weak at times. Expect criticism if you're going to put up that kind of effort in an Essendon jumper.

4a96c31ad5be2a2a03504eacbac295f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hes an outside player - thats his gig.

why would you want him getting at the coal face getting his head knocked off? thats the job for the other hard at it blokes.

Leave him to use his fitness and kicking skills to get on the end of plays and deliver to the forwards.

I'm not sure that anyone expects him to be at the coalface, in and under, winning hard balls. We know that's not his role.

The issue is, even as an outside player, you're always bound to find yourself in a contested one on one at some point and you still need to go in hard to win it - even if your role is not to be an inside ball winner. Jobe or zach or hep aren't always going to be there to do the grunt work so when it's your turn, you have to go, and if you don't go in hard you'll probably lose the contest and give the ball up.

Even as big a fan of his as I am, I still think he's pretty poor in that department and it's not great to watch a senior player pull up short and concede possession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back