Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is this most boring of sods on at the moment with Gerard?

Christ all bloody mighty, he is putting me to sleep.

The answer lies in Andy Maher’s twitter handle

When he was at Sen in 2016 it was @AndyMaherSEN

Not long after he left the afternoons slot at the end of 2016 he changed it to @AndyMaherDFA , as Maher loves baseball , DFA is Designated for Assignment , a term used in baseball when a contracted player is removed from the roster
It was DFA for 'Delisted Free Agent' in Andy's case.

It was his insights, contacts and footy goss that had me interested. Only heard him from time-to-time and on those occasions didn't here him critique other administrators.

Alexander is a bit full of herself. However, her coaching insights were interesting and she does have a very good record on which to base them.
Didn't mind her at the start, but then it became all about her . Also don't like those 2 so called comedians on with Maher

Hutchie has been very clear that brekkie sets up the day for radio. So once he can move on the current guys he will imo.

I could see Eddie McGuire taking brekkie. He is a natural fit for the station and is the best talent for the Sen target demo.

For this to happen I think a back room deal hapoens whereby McGuire gets richer through Croc acquiring McGuire Media and JAM. With them being TV sport content producers, the synergies are clear. Plus I have little doubt Hutchie would love to own the production company producing 'Footy Clas' and TFS.

Wonder what will happen.
Lol croc media is smaller and with less influence than McGuire media. Footy show will tell you that.

btw. Many of those discarded were no loss. But I think they threw the baby out with the bathwater in some cases too. Reckon Waldron -despite his past - made for interesting listening, as did Berry and Lisa Alexander.

Doesn't seem to be any sign of Greg Denham this year. That automatically improves SEN by 300%.

MMM is total tradie bogan blokiness though, total.
They WILL lose listeners with this new approach in my opinion.
The market for people tuning into live bowls, cricket or American football etc is very finite.

Look at it from both angles though. I don't think SEN will lose too much of their listenership – some people will and have jumped off because people are blinkered and hate change, not everyone likes Whateley and the sacking of Marko and the Ox bristled some – but their footy coverage is still there.

In addition, they're probably adding certain groups of people. Those who like American sports, cricket, golf etc. are probably tuning into SEN more because they know their sport is getting air time instead of SEN being AFL, AFL, AFL all week. Those markets are indeed finite, you're right, but if you add them all up it'll create a large listener base in itself.

Hutchie has been very clear that brekkie sets up the day for radio. So once he can move on the current guys he will imo.

I could see Eddie McGuire taking brekkie. He is a natural fit for the station and is the best talent for the Sen target demo.

For this to happen I think a back room deal hapoens whereby McGuire gets richer through Croc acquiring McGuire Media and JAM. With them being TV sport content producers, the synergies are clear. Plus I have little doubt Hutchie would love to own the production company producing 'Footy Clas' and TFS.

Wonder what will happen.

I'd like to see this happen just because it'd be fun to see how it would play out. As it stands, though, I see Croc and Jam as competitors, despite them being in different mediums (Croc is predominantly radio with a bit of TV thrown in, Jam is only TV). Croc have just started up their own TV production arm called Rainmaker so that might get in the way.

Look at it from both angles though. I don't think SEN will lose too much of their listenership – some people will and have jumped off because people are blinkered and hate change, not everyone likes Whateley and the sacking of Marko and the Ox bristled some – but their footy coverage is still there.

In addition, they're probably adding certain groups of people. Those who like American sports, cricket, golf etc. are probably tuning into SEN more because they know their sport is getting air time instead of SEN being AFL, AFL, AFL all week. Those markets are indeed finite, you're right, but if you add them all up it'll create a large listener base in itself.

There is a definite shift in talkback callers. The staples of the past are no longer, but there are plenty of newbies (IMO) that call up whateley. Kinda like when an account manager leaves for a rival, another org they bring their clients with them. The net +/- could be minimal however.

You are right about non afl listeners joining the fray.

I heard KB saying yesterday that AFL is the greatest game in the world, not soccer, not basketball not cricket etc. I know he's trolling, but made me think there's not that mantra on sen anymore.

I'm interpreting any comments of SEN being "boring" as "too much intelligent sports discussion, I want blokey blokes talking blokey things, having a laugh and people calling in asking how Collingwood will go this year".
yep.
Stale serious sports talk gets boring as * very quickly. Certainly cant run a 24 hour sports station on the premis. Boooooooringggggggg.

Spot on. It looks like Hutchy's MO is to increase revenue with stuff like this, without necessarily increasing ratings.

I could be wrong, but I'll be shocked if the revamped format rates much better, if at all, than the old one, even after period of time. Isn't he creating a smaller niche?
I'd say Hutchy knows this, so the obvious plan is to increase revenue by dramatically cut costs by getting cheaper hosts, then cramming in as many ads in as possible, including selling more content disguised as programs

Had this argument on Twitter with someone, I agree with you.

I argue ratings don't matter as much to Hutchy as they do to people on the outside. Hutchy is an astute businessman (whether you like him or not) that would have a business plan (IMO) based on extracting more out of what they already have as opposed to necessarily relying on extra listeners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had this argument on Twitter with someone, I agree with you.

I argue ratings don't matter as much to Hutchy as they do to people on the outside. Hutchy is an astute businessman (whether you like him or not) that would have a business plan (IMO) based on extracting more out of what they already have as opposed to necessarily relying on extra listeners.
Bringing in GW will bring across ABC types which advertisers have not previously been able to target. Have you noticed any changes in the advertisers profile?

Just got my SEN survey . I said only have Turfie on as a guest , not full time and get rid of King and get Finey back.
Providing ratings stack-up - which applies to all of 'em - JR will be there as long as he chooses. He has skin in the game and he and Hutchy are as thick as. He's managed to stop Bartlett's interminable Richmond blather and puerile cheap shots at other contributors. For that alone I'm grateful.

The guy who does overnights early in the week is a boring motor mouth. He'd should be the first of a few casualties in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back