Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else hear Kane Cornes' interview with a Melbourne Rebels player today? He asked a question about resting after games and getting up for the next week. One example he gave of a reason he may be tired or sore was because of State of Origin games. They play union, Kane.

Cornes place in the media landscape will forever be a mystery to me. He simply has no talent for the caper, is not very bright and appears to regard preparation as a waste of his time. Many sportsmen who give every indication of being a nimrod during their playing career surprise you with their insight, good humour and intelligence after they retire. Kane Cornes is not one of those.

Cornes place in the media landscape will forever be a mystery to me. He simply has no talent for the caper, is not very bright
Very tough...you can't say he has no attributes. To me, he is a confident guy who has developed his own schtick; that of being a cheeky provocateur who doesn't take himself too seriously...and who can, unlike many on that station, talk about the inner-sanctum of a club with authority. What does general intelligence guarantee here? An example in politics is Bob Brown, probably then the smartest guy in Canberra...but he was a woeful communicator, shockingly in-articulate (which he himself acknowledges) in a game which, like radio is about 98% communication. Those in the cheap seats can lob s**t at him over the fire brigade stuff but he has a cutting rejoinder "I was standing there at a accident where my colleagues were retrieving the tangled body from a trucks' wheels when I thought this is not for me..."

Very tough...you can't say he has no attributes. To me, he is a confident guy who has developed his own schtick; that of being a cheeky provocateur who doesn't take himself too seriously...and who can, unlike many on that station, talk about the inner-sanctum of a club with authority. What does general intelligence guarantee here? An example in politics is Bob Brown, probably then the smartest guy in Canberra...but he was a woeful communicator, shockingly in-articulate (which he himself acknowledges) in a game which, like radio is about 98% communication. Those in the cheap seats can lob s**t at him over the fire brigade stuff but he has a cutting rejoinder "I was standing there at a accident where my colleagues were retrieving the tangled body from a trucks' wheels when I thought this is not for me..."

He is trying to imitate his dad (a master troll) but Kane doesn't have the intelligence or wit so he just comes across as a total flog

Did anyone else hear Kane Cornes' interview with a Melbourne Rebels player today? He asked a question about resting after games and getting up for the next week. One example he gave of a reason he may be tired or sore was because of State of Origin games. They play union, Kane.
How amateurish can you get.

Both their AFLW games being called off the TV from the studio today.

I honestly don’t know why this is such an issue. Around the globe, broadcasters are doing it more and more as it’s a reality of the modern media world. For example, does anyone care if Fox Sports doesn’t travel to every Socceroos game? As long as the effects are at a professional level then not much is compromised. Granted, Aussie Rules relies on plenty of analysis behind play but if I’m SEN and weighing up spending, say, $2000 to broadcast live with flights, accom etc versus broadcasting in a studio with a more than adequate call given the interest level in AFLW isn’t through the roof I reckon you go the former. If it’s an AFL Finals Series it’s a different story, but in my opinion it’s just people deliberately pointing fingers and trying to pick fault when they are actually one of the few pulling their fingers out and covering it. I’ll happily criticise where it’s required but I just feel this fixation is overly pedantic

I honestly don’t know why this is such an issue. Around the globe, broadcasters are doing it more and more as it’s a reality of the modern media world. For example, does anyone care if Fox Sports doesn’t travel to every Socceroos game? As long as the effects are at a professional level then not much is compromised. Granted, Aussie Rules relies on plenty of analysis behind play but if I’m SEN and weighing up spending, say, $2000 to broadcast live with flights, accom etc versus broadcasting in a studio with a more than adequate call given the interest level in AFLW isn’t through the roof I reckon you go the former. If it’s an AFL Finals Series it’s a different story, but in my opinion it’s just people deliberately pointing fingers and trying to pick fault when they are actually one of the few pulling their fingers out and covering it. I’ll happily criticise where it’s required but I just feel this fixation is overly pedantic

Australian Rules Football has probably the biggest field of any ball sport. How are you supposed to analyse a teams setup or movement up the ground/behind the play when the camera is focused on the ball the whole time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cometti has admitted to calling games off the monitor even when at games. Obvious (and understandable) in the cricket broadcast too, as their reaction to things happening in the outfield coincides exactly with the viewer.

That you Hutchy?

Cometti has admitted to calling games off the monitor even when at games. Obvious (and understandable) in the cricket broadcast too, as their reaction to things happening in the outfield coincides exactly with the viewer.

The fact is I would reckon many TV callers would simply call off the screen as they need to make sure what they’re calling matches what people can see. As another poster has pointed out, describing what’s happening from an analytical perspective is a challenge but surely you can still paint enough of a picture for people who, themselves, aren’t seeing the game? Many will disagree.

That you Hutchy?

While I wouldn’t mind having his bank balance, no. I understand that it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it’s becoming more and more prevalent across the globe. I imagine it’s purely driven by costs so if it’s the difference between hearing a sport and not then I’d prefer the offering is there if I’m not able to watch it.

On another note, one gripe I do have is the NFL games they take having the exact same feed of the game as TV. For a radio listener it means we are left clueless about the score or where the ball is. I know there isn’t much interest in NFL here but I like keeping up to speed on the Monday drive to work

3 hours of aflw talk. Dwayno must have a guilty conscience.

Probably the same thing tomorrow too. Great for talkback, "i dont mind that you hate aflw, i dont". sit back and watch the mob gather.

how much was the talk about tayla harris being uselss?
jesus

The fact is I would reckon many TV callers would simply call off the screen as they need to make sure what they’re calling matches what people can see. As another poster has pointed out, describing what’s happening from an analytical perspective is a challenge but surely you can still paint enough of a picture for people who, themselves, aren’t seeing the game? Many will disagree.

While I wouldn’t mind having his bank balance, no. I understand that it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it’s becoming more and more prevalent across the globe. I imagine it’s purely driven by costs so if it’s the difference between hearing a sport and not then I’d prefer the offering is there if I’m not able to watch it.

On another note, one gripe I do have is the NFL games they take having the exact same feed of the game as TV. For a radio listener it means we are left clueless about the score or where the ball is. I know there isn’t much interest in NFL here but I like keeping up to speed on the Monday drive to work
Hopefully his money can buy him a personality.

I remember seeing Adam Peacock hosting foxsports news, then 8 hours later calling US Open tennis. I was mightily impressed. It took a while for me to twig what was going on.

Nothing wrong calling off a monitor for radio, problem is the pictur they paint is poor

Probably the same thing tomorrow too. Great for talkback, "i dont mind that you hate aflw, i dont". sit back and watch the mob gather.

how much was the talk about tayla harris being uselss?
jesus

Would much rather listen to talk about AFLW than any discussion of Golf. Not only is a s**t sport, but Mark Allen is an A Grade flog, and punting him from SEN is the best thing Hutchy has done.

Also I am sure the AFL pump quite a lot of coin into Croc Media/Hutchy's pockets to try promote the AFL and AFLW as much as possible.

If you want robust sports discussion of other sports, you are better off going to podcasts, especially those run by legendary Boston sports fan Bill Simmons, whose Ringer NBA Podcasts are brilliant (Rewatchables too)

Would much rather listen to talk about AFLW than any discussion of Golf. Not only is a s**t sport, but Mark Allen is an A Grade flog, and punting him from SEN is the best thing Hutchy has done.

Also I am sure the AFL pump quite a lot of coin into Croc Media/Hutchy's pockets to try promote the AFL and AFLW as much as possible.

If you want robust sports discussion of other sports, you are better off going to podcasts, especially those run by legendary Boston sports fan Bill Simmons, whose Ringer NBA Podcasts are brilliant (Rewatchables too)

Mark Allen is apparently in remission now. THis is good

Where is this being done more and more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back