Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

I played plenty of Basketball , but not a lot of interest apart from how Aussies are going , used to sometimes go to Melb. Tigers .
Can't stand Grid Iron or Baseball , their too slow.
As for soccer i follow the EPL and absolutely no interest in it in Australia .

Agree re Gridiron. I can't believe it's so popular here, in Australia.

I played plenty of Basketball , but not a lot of interest apart from how Aussies are going , used to sometimes go to Melb. Tigers .
Can't stand Grid Iron or Baseball , their too slow.
As for soccer i follow the EPL and absolutely no interest in it in Australia .
How about the spanish or german leagues?

It's just always been interesting to me that NBA has this place in the culture here for some reason. However so many people don't actually watch any games at all. They'll just watch highlights. Opinions will just be formed over something they see Skip Bayless or Stephen A have argued about, rather than formed their own opinions from the actual game.
Australian's don't like basketball enough though, everybody looks down on the NBL which has actually turned itself into quite a good and entertaining league, and some fans will even say that the NBL is a better pure basketball game to watch than the NBA.

My original point was the difference in media attention the NBA and NFL receive. There is bias there because I am a big NFL fan, but if you look at TV ratings, which is a very important metric, the NBA really is way behind. The NFL has like 45 of the top 50 shows on TV each year in the States. Plus I mean the standard NBA game is so irrelevant, predictable and boring, to provide regular score updates for a November NBA game is really pointless.

Then as another poster said the NBA is supposedly the 3rd most popular sport in Australia, but to which I wonder what defines popularity in this sense? Because yeah, jersey sales might be quite high, or hats etc, I myself own a few jerseys. However if you're looking at real minutes spend consuming live games, what is the top 3 or 5 I wonder.

The NBA describe themselves as a global sports AND MEDIA business. I bet you can name more American basketball players than Australian cricketers.
And you will certainly see more Australian kids with Kevin Durant jerseys than Steve Smith jerseys.

I don't like basketball, but understand and appreciate its global popularity. I could only name Lebrom James as a current player.

But from what I can observe, the NBA is probably the most in-tune, savvy sporting league in the world at marketing and growing its brand. The EPL wouldn't be far behind, but it has legacy and other advantages that the NBA doesn't.

Agree that they're taking eyeballs, pocket money and playtime from kids away from cricket.

I don't like basketball, but understand and appreciate its global popularity. I could only name Lebrom James as a current player.

But from what I can observe, the NBA is probably the most in-tune, savvy sporting league in the world at marketing and growing its brand. The EPL wouldn't be far behind, but it has legacy and other advantages that the NBA doesn't.

Agree that they're taking eyeballs, pocket money and playtime from kids away from cricket.

Taking away from cricket?

That's it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If by savvy and in-tune you mean taking millions of dollars from China and having a GM fired from his job for speaking out against what China did to Hong Kong then sure.

If by savvy and in-tune you mean taking millions of dollars from China and having a GM fired from his job for speaking out against what China did to Hong Kong then sure.

I dont think that's what the poster meant.

But there is a point. Millions of sporting products affiliated with the NBA, and other sports or brands, are made in China. And they probably dont want to piss off the country. They also have teams play games in China as well. Just like the AFL once tried. Actually, if you think about it countries, leagues and people, if fair dinkum, should've boycotted and boycott any product or service emanating from China.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back