#12 Tom Green (Pick 10, 2019 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

The GIANTS have welcomed another GIANTS Academy graduate to its senior list with Canberra’s Tom Green selected with pick 10 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

Green was bid on by Carlton at pick 10 but being a GIANTS Academy product, the GIANTS matched the bid using picks 41, 56, 59, 67 and 71.

GIANTS National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso said: “Tom has been a member of the GIANTS Academy for a number of years, so we are thrilled to officially add him onto our list.

“As a strongly-built midfielder, size and craft around stoppage is his asset and we believe that given his determination and character we had to prioritise bringing him in.

“Tom captained the Allies in 2019 and has shown great improvement in the last 18 months so we believe that in a full-time environment he will continue to grow.”

A big-bodied midfielder, Green is an outstanding prospect with clean hands and great vision.

Green was dominant for the GIANTS Academy in the NAB League and backed it up with NAB Under-18 All Australian selection after an outstanding Championship with the Allies.

Green racked up 23.8 disposals, eight clearances and 4.2 tackles per game as he was named the Allies MVP in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

The grandson of former Richmond legend Michael Green, Tom was nominated for the NEAFL Rising Star Award after a string of impressive performances for the GIANTS’ NEAFL side.

Tom Green
GIANTS Academy/ Marist
D.O.B: 23/1/2001
Height: 188cm
Weight: 85kg

Seems like a gun. Heart of the midfield kind of guy.

So many inside midfielders now. Ward Hopper Taranto Hateley + Green

Coniglio Kelly Perryman Caldwell as inside/outside players

Will be fierce competition for spots. At least couple of players who don’t deserve to miss out will miss out.

GIANTS young-gun Tom Green is in contention to feature in this year's AFL Players' Association 22Under22 side after being named in the 40-man squad.

The fan-voted concept recognises the league’s best young players aged 22 and under who have made an impact on their club and the competition. The concept was introduced in 2013 to reward young players for having an impact at their club in the early stages of their career. To be eligible players must have played at least 11 games in 2022. This is Green’s second selection in the 22Under22 squad, with the 21-year-old previously selected in 2021.

2022 Kevin Sheedy Medal results for Tom Green

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHEN you have designs on being one of the best players in the game, being dropped in round 19 of your third year in the AFL is not exactly easy to take. It was a self-confessed "tough pill to swallow" for Greater Western Sydney midfield beast Tom Green last season, but it's seen the 22-year-old take his game to a whole new level since.

The Canberra product hasn't had to want for much since being introduced to the big time. A top 10 draft pick in 2019, he has progressed into becoming one of the best midfield ball-winners in the competition in just 51 games. But a call last year from interim coach Mark McVeigh to leave him out of the team for the round 19 clash against Fremantle, in his hometown of Canberra no less, was a fair setback. Fatigue was cited as a reason, but form played a part as well. For a proud and burgeoning talent in Green, it's not something he wanted to hear.

"It was really disappointing, and it's something that I would've liked to not have happened, and to be able to alter that if I could. But that's just the way that it went," he told AFL.com.au. "There were some tough conditions last year for us as a club, losing Leon (Cameron) and certain things like that going on. So, it was a bit of a turbulent time. Spike' (McVeigh) was really, really honest with me about it and we were just honest to each other about how that all went. And yeah, it's just a decision that was come to, in the end. It was obviously a tough pill to swallow. But it's just about getting back on the horse and try to contribute again to playing some winning football."

Green has certainly done that since. He would go on to finish third in the Giants' best and fairest in 2022 and is averaging 32.5 disposals per game this season, the fourth best haul in the AFL. That's all part of a mission to reach a goal of being one of the best players in the game. It’s an ambition that Green is not afraid to admit.

Tom Green has had a fantastic 2023 season; named in the All-Australian squad, and IMHO unlucky to miss out on the AA team given his stats.

Tom Green's 2023 stats prove that he already sits comfortably alongside the best midfielders in the AFL but the GIANTS beast believes that finals football will ultimately determine his standing in the game.

Green is the No.1-ranked player in the competition for disposals and contested possessions per game this season and ninth for score involvements. If there was any doubt that he belongs among the game's A-graders, those metrics surely dispel that.

But come bouncedown in Saturday afternoon's elimination final against St Kilda at the MCG, Green is of the mindset that the value of those numbers mean little if you don't perform on the biggest stage. "Undoubtedly, and I think anyone who says otherwise would be kidding themselves," the 22-year-old told AFL.com.au."The best players stand up in big finals. It's something that I'm really looking forward to and I think if I can play my role inside our system, I've got great faith that we'll be in pretty good stead."

"I've been proud of the season that's been so far, but we reset now, and we're ready to go for a new season now, the most important one that's starting on the weekend."

Greene was closely followed in Monday’s count by his namesake Tom Green who also landed a new career-best tally with 16 votes following a breakout season from the bullocking 22-year-old midfielder. Green eclipsed his previous best of six votes in 2021 after a remarkable season which saw him rank first across the entire competition for disposals per game, averaging 32.1 touches an outing to go along with 6.1 clearances and 5.3 tackles. The contested beast, who was recognised for his dominant season with his maiden selection in the All-Australian squad, polled the maximum three votes in the GIANTS’ round one win over the Crows, the round 13 win over North Melbourne, and in a 15-point loss to the Bulldogs in round eight.

Tom Green narrowly misses out - again - on the KSM. But a bloody good year, congratulations on your efforts in 2023.

TomG stats 2023.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back