Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Tend to agree.
Higgo's only spot so happens to be one of our strengths & depth.HFF.
With the arrival of MRJ it's not getting any easier.
I wouldn't write him off
he's a hard worker
if someone gets injured or loses form and he grabs a spot it might be hard to get him out of it
despite the class rolling around our list

He lacks athleticism but has talent in spades. Will be interesting to see how he goes over the next two years. He did start off really well and tapered, like most first year players, so he hasn't really got a body of work so to speak. He is very strong and has great hands, they are two great traits for a ball getter. Wish he was a tad quicker.

He lacks athleticism but has talent in spades. Will be interesting to see how he goes over the next two years. He did start off really well and tapered, like most first year players, so he hasn't really got a body of work so to speak. He is very strong and has great hands, they are two great traits for a ball getter. Wish he was a tad quicker.

Jack also understands better than most the benefits of repetition. He's been doing repetition training all his life. He'll practice and practice and practice until it is 2nd nature. He's smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.

Jack also understands better than most the benefits of repetition. He's been doing repetition training all his life. He'll practice and practice and practice until it is 2nd nature. He's smarter than a lot of people give him credit for.
A lot of kids with AFL ambition also do this, but he has some great attributes as well as diligence.

Not convinced by him 100% due to speed, which has brought undone so many footballers especially lately, as it limits their flexibility. Rioli, Bolton, Stack, Castagna all play forward with the ability to go on ball now or down the track, and are all really quick at close down space which is central to our game plan. But there will be spots opening up midfield over the next few years so I really hope he can crack it through there. Resting forward he is dangerous.

A lot of kids with AFL ambition also do this, but he has some great attributes as well as diligence.

Not convinced by him 100% due to speed, which has brought undone so many footballers especially lately, as it limits their flexibility. Rioli, Bolton, Stack, Castagna all play forward with the ability to go on ball now or down the track, and are all really quick at close down space which is central to our game plan. But there will be spots opening up midfield over the next few years so I really hope he can crack it through there. Resting forward he is dangerous.

Agree about the speed, but it's not always leg speed that makes the difference, reaction times are vital too.

If Josh Caddy find a role in the team with the legspeed of a Vietnam veteran who stepped on the wrong pile of leaves, Higgins can sculpt his game to fit the role we need him too. ;)

If Josh Caddy find a role in the team with the legspeed of a Vietnam veteran who stepped on the wrong pile of leaves, Higgins can sculpt his game to fit the role we need him too. ;)
Caddy and Higgins are polls apart when comparing.

If the cuts go deep then you can’t help but think he might struggle , still a way to go yet, never know an opening may come up this year when games start and he grabs it

If the cuts go deep then you can’t help but think he might struggle , still a way to go yet, never know an opening may come up this year when games start and he grabs it
It's hard to see who makes way for him, but he certainly has talent, and he has only ever been used forward really. Wouldn't hurt at all for him to play midfield in the VFL, which unfortunately looks like next year. Of course injuries and form. I would hate to see knee jerk reactions like cutting lists hard because you'd hope the league would be thinking long term.

It's hard to see who makes way for him, but he certainly has talent, and he has only ever been used forward really. Wouldn't hurt at all for him to play midfield in the VFL, which unfortunately looks like next year. Of course injuries and form. I would hate to see knee jerk reactions like cutting lists hard because you'd hope the league would be thinking long term.

I know he has a long way to go, but would have thought he is Kane Lambert's successor. Higgo's a great runner, and has better ball skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he has a long way to go, but would have thought he is Kane Lambert's successor. Higgo's a great runner, and has better ball skills
I don’t think Higgo has enough endurance to play Lambert’s role
Lambert is a beast and the best in the club and in the upper tier of the entire league in terms of running capacity out of all our younger players I think it might be turner who can play Lambert’s role purely from a running ability

Not a bad comparison, as Muddiemoose said Lambert is possibly the best runner at Richmond. Reckon more inside than Lambert. He could be a gun or a bit of a bust, pretty hard to tell at this stage, but there is no hurry.

I don’t think Higgo has enough endurance to play Lambert’s role
Lambert is a beast and the best in the club and in the upper tier of the entire league in terms of running capacity out of all our younger players I think it might be turner who can play Lambert’s role purely from a running ability
I wouldn’t say that , Higgo peak he found plenty of ball and bobbed up in all the right places . He’s a senior footballer no doubt , just a few have emerged and are right in front of him . He’s still bloody young , has lots of footy in front of him, was encouraging to hear in vfl scratch match he dominated with 3G

I must admit, I'm a bit torn as to how good Higgo will be.

There's just a suspicion that he was a gun kid who has already reached his peak.

Hope I'm wrong.

I usually am.
Hope your wrong too, The Mitchell boys from Whorethorn Sammy and Tommy are/were no taller or quicker that our man Jackinabox, a Brownlow each coz they both knew how to get the pill and give to a pacy team mate.

I wouldn’t say that , Higgo peak he found plenty of ball and bobbed up in all the right places . He’s a senior footballer no doubt , just a few have emerged and are right in front of him . He’s still bloody young , has lots of footy in front of him, was encouraging to hear in vfl scratch match he dominated with 3G

Oh don’t get me wrong I wasn’t trying to say Higgo hasn’t got what it takes to make it in the team I definitely think he has what it takes I was more just talking in regards to Lambert’s particular role in the side

Oh don’t get me wrong I wasn’t trying to say Higgo hasn’t got what it takes to make it in the team I definitely think he has what it takes I was more just talking in regards to Lambert’s particular role in the side
Yea he’s a bit diff to lambo , only a bit. With a full squad available he’s not in the side , with an injury or 2 to our smalls he’s right in the frame

Higgins can make it through being smarter and better all round. If he can simply be able to play anywhere and do AFL standard he's worth gold. He's not a marking target, but he can link up, go inside, work to the outside and is decent outside, + good around the goals. That strikes me as worth playing AFL. His ceiling = ??

What makes you think Caddy is slow ? Cant really bring up numbers but remember watching him in his first year at GC suns and he had reasonable pace and was mentioned that he was around the 3.10 20mtr with 15 beep. Thats not anywhere near Viet Vets stuff you mentioned

1/2 a good point , Higgo is 177cm which means he’s competing v small forwards that generally need to be quick , cads is very versatile . Med forward to mid to a spare parts Vlas type role’ if he was req

Those saying they are not sure who makes way for him...

That 2018 prelim he was one player who actually played well... was clearly holding his own.

2019 start was ok without eing great, but i reckon the brain thing was effecting him a lot earlier than it was diagnosed. I remember the game against adelaide and he just seemed to fumble everything, which was about a month before the diagnosis.

I know Higgins isn’t as quick as Rioli, Bolton or Castagna but is he really that slow? Looks sharp off the mark, or perhaps that’s due to his footy IQ. Does anyone know what he tested at draft camp??
Higgins footy IQ tests get him into MENSA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back