Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of our relatively unknown players have strangely detailed wiki pages... e.g., check these out:

Pretty much the same for all our young players. Someone out there is very dedicated to the cause!

Wow, CCJ has 64 References - sounds like someone has a pretty big scrap book at home...................

I don't think he needs to 'take it easy'.

I think he has what it takes to come back and have an immediate impact.

I see him as an in and under type down the track.
The guy has just had a brain operation, I think take it easy is in relation to easing his way back.
He's a confident guy but I reckon he'd have his doubts.
But in and under he will be.

I see Zorko written all over him. We need to give him a bit of time and play him on the flank with stints in the midfield. He will find his way as a permanent mid, I have no doubt about that and has all the attributes.

I'd like to see Cotchin being rotated forward to allow for Graham/Ross/Higgins and even Edwards playing on ball. I prefer Stack on the wing and up forward.
Primary mids should be Prestia, Martin, Cotchin, Graham, Ross, Higgins and then Edwards/Stack/RCD

Higgins footy IQ and work rate can put him into the elite category with a few years development. There is a lot of Neale/Zorko/Sidebottom..even a bit of dane swan about him with how much he can accumulate. It's important for us to have that type of player and allow for Ross/Graham/Stack/RCD/Naish do their thing..

I'd even put in Boomer Harvey as one of those comparatives, though still a bit less pace and taller. Dane Swan was taller again. Sidebottom too was quite a bot taller and well ahead of Higgo at roughly the same age. Neale was more of contested player earlier and had more body size for the same height. I think Zorko is a great compariative, and within 2cm and 2 kgs, though Zorko came to AFL footy late by comparisons, so Higgo had a huge head start. It might be Higgo takes a little longer to get back to his old self, or better, which on the development path puts then similar again. Both are hugely energetic. Head to head at the same age there is nothing to compare yet because Zorko was still playing for Redland Bay in Qld at the same age and hadn't been drafted yet.

Wow, CCJ has 64 References - sounds like someone has a pretty big scrap book at home...................
Left his club then returned to win a flag. Mr Magic will love this guy

For anyone who thinks he isn't best 22 or struggling to fit him in...I'd advise you to watch this and keep telling yourself that this was his FIRST YEAR! His work rate and the pressure acts/attitude is quite rare for his age.

we need to get as many games as possible into him (obviously pending his health, putting that first).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only reason that I log in is to post this:

"My head is very, very strong now. I've got 11 screws and plates in there, so my head's stronger than anyone else's.

my wish has come true. I'm content.

no, I won't be back.

Okay a running commentary of what ive seen so far.

Simply put while hes had some very good games i dont see the hype surrounding this player. I get he's a club favorite and loved by players the club and supporters but i'm not commentating on his character or his likability.

Imo he lacks pace size and an outstanding attribute.
He does have footy smarts and he has had some real moments.
Personally i dont think he has the physical attributes to be a top notch inside mid in todays game, footy smarts and likability will only get you so far.

Clearly a fantastic kid to have around the club but until i see a body of footy work that warrants over the top enthusiasm im going to hold back.
Atm i think he is more likely to make it as a clever small fwd.
Imo prior to his diagnosis he was literally being gifted games and this happened in yr 1 as well.Now i know some will say hey he dropped away because of the tumor personally i dont buy that and you can only judge on the body f work that has happened.

Imo if he makes it as a mid it will be more down the lines of Sam Mitchell rather than an inside ball winner. Fmd i hope he turns out half as good as mitchell and we will have a good un.

As it stands he has done enough to be retained but i dont think theres a big enough body of work to say hes a real player.

If it wasnt for the brain injury and prior to it i would have said over the next yr or two he is one id be looking to trade out if he stays at the same sort of level.
I actually think injury aside he has done enough to date to keep persevering with only two seasons in and a lot of good glimpses.
What i dont agree with is he is going to be a player, time will decide that and the lack of an outstanding physical attribute has me concerned.

If he proves me wrong well and good and it will be kudos to the young fella and i will most certainly happily eat the humble pie. Im just commenting on where i think he is at with out the hype and bias being a tiger supporter tends to bring out in most supporters.

If a club came to us and offered a really good pick for him or a really good player swap right at this moment i have to say i for one would seriously consider it.
For me to be safe he has a long way to go. Being such an effevescent type, is that the right word? i really hope he shoves my opinion right back down my throat. Im just calling it as i see right ATM.In a sentence Im not sold but i sure as hell hope it all works out with this fella.

I see Jack as well ahead of almost all other draftees in his first year. Smart, hard worker, good skills, great attitude. Especially when towards the end of the season when he started playing midfield and excelled. Last year was obviously problematic.

He's come out and said that his attitude has changed a bit.

I see him as being almost a lay down mazaire as a B grade inside outside mid/forward. He could be A grade if he can maximise his abilities. But I don't really expect him to step up that high, given his size and athleticism. But he has the smarts that few players do, and one of the best attitudes of a young player. When he's played midfield he's been able to do contested ball well, and get outside and act as a link player. So I reckon he's got the ability to go well beyond a smart small forward.

The obvious caveat is whether his operation has impacted his ability. If not then I'm very comfortqable we've got a 150-200 game player who will add to the midfield and forward line.

Okay a running commentary of what ive seen so far.

Simply put while hes had some very good games i dont see the hype surrounding this player. I get he's a club favorite and loved by players the club and supporters but i'm not commentating on his character or his likability.

Imo he lacks pace size and an outstanding attribute.
He does have footy smarts and he has had some real moments.
Personally i dont think he has the physical attributes to be a top notch inside mid in todays game, footy smarts and likability will only get you so far.

Clearly a fantastic kid to have around the club but until i see a body of footy work that warrants over the top enthusiasm im going to hold back.
Atm i think he is more likely to make it as a clever small fwd.
Imo prior to his diagnosis he was literally being gifted games and this happened in yr 1 as well.Now i know some will say hey he dropped away because of the tumor personally i dont buy that and you can only judge on the body f work that has happened.

Imo if he makes it as a mid it will be more down the lines of Sam Mitchell rather than an inside ball winner. Fmd i hope he turns out half as good as mitchell and we will have a good un.

As it stands he has done enough to be retained but i dont think theres a big enough body of work to say hes a real player.

If it wasnt for the brain injury and prior to it i would have said over the next yr or two he is one id be looking to trade out if he stays at the same sort of level.
I actually think injury aside he has done enough to date to keep persevering with only two seasons in and a lot of good glimpses.
What i dont agree with is he is going to be a player, time will decide that and the lack of an outstanding physical attribute has me concerned.

If he proves me wrong well and good and it will be kudos to the young fella and i will most certainly happily eat the humble pie. Im just commenting on where i think he is at with out the hype and bias being a tiger supporter tends to bring out in most supporters.

If a club came to us and offered a really good pick for him or a really good player swap right at this moment i have to say i for one would seriously consider it.
For me to be safe he has a long way to go. Being such an effevescent type, is that the right word? i really hope he shoves my opinion right back down my throat. Im just calling it as i see right ATM.In a sentence Im not sold but i sure as hell hope it all works out with this fella.

Mopsy my dear friend, you have made some perfectly good points there.

But the two I have highlighted I would like to challenge. First, is there โ€œhypeโ€ surrounding this player as a footballer? My reading of the general view of him is he is not expected by most to be an elite class player. So I donโ€™t see that he has been hyped.

"Now i know some will say hey he dropped away because of the tumor personally i dont buy that and you can only judge on the body f work that has happened."

This statement lacks sophistication for mine though I like the fact you have raised the counter argument truly. Surely when judging the body of work we are able to take into account things that may have affected that body of work? His youth, his condition, his split from his guru and so on? That being said, I think we are all anxiously anticipating his return to competitive footy to see if his travails have hampered him in some way. If not, then what he did in his first year should give us good reason to believe he has a bright future, imo of course. ๐Ÿ˜

I see Jack as well ahead of almost all other draftees in his first year. Smart, hard worker, good skills, great attitude. Especially when towards the end of the season when he started playing midfield and excelled. Last year was obviously problematic.

He's come out and said that his attitude has changed a bit.

I see him as being almost a lay down mazaire as a B grade inside outside mid/forward. He could be A grade if he can maximise his abilities. But I don't really expect him to step up that high, given his size and athleticism. But he has the smarts that few players do, and one of the best attitudes of a young player. When he's played midfield he's been able to do contested ball well, and get outside and act as a link player. So I reckon he's got the ability to go well beyond a smart small forward.

The obvious caveat is whether his operation has impacted his ability. If not then I'm very comfortqable we've got a 150-200 game player who will add to the midfield and forward line.
That kick for goal on the goal line against the wobbles...sheer genius... :heart:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back