Senior 17. Brodie Kemp

Remove this Banner Ad

If this occurs it will be interesting to see how it works...we'd have the tallest midfield in the league led by Cripps, Setterfield & Kemp.

I remember when Kennedy first got to the club, a reporter asked Cripps, if he Charlie 193cm and Kennedy 188cm could all line up in the midfield together.
Crippa answered “ we would be to slow”.
Setterfield isn’t lightning quick, but he is quick enough and moves very well for a 190cm+midfielder, has very good agility and a nice burst of speed too.
Kemp on the other hand is very quick, it’s that powerful explosive speed too, very dynamic player.
That combo wouldn’t be to one paced or slow and an absolute nightmare for opposition match ups POV.

Apparently a fairly confident type as well, which is awesome.

We've been a fairly introverted bunch in the past...when Daisy came to the club, I remember him stating that he was a little blown away how introverted we were as a group...although he did come from the 'rat pack' at Collingwood.

Either way, I like it that he's expressive and confident in himself.

We’ve got our big two through the midfield in Cripps and Walsh, hopfully Kemp or Setterfield can step up and make it a big 3 or better yet a big 4 in a few years time.

Kemp is a very exciting prospect and the midfield is where he wants to be.
His size, power and explosion from the contest could be devastating.
Dow also possesses that explosive breakaway acceleration.
It’s mouthwatering to imagine what might be when these guys combine with the brute force of Cripps and Stocker and the class of Walsh, Setterfield, Fisher etc in the not to distant future ...

It’s mouthwatering to imagine what might be when these guys combine with the brute force of Cripps and Stocker and the class of Walsh, Setterfield, Fisher etc in the not to distant future ...
Best thing is they all add something different to the mix. Don’t forget silk like SPS, can also be very damaging once the bulls have beaten the opposition into submission.

It’s clear that we are looking to emulate the Fremantle glory years (circa 2013), where they had the physically biggest midfield and just used their height and size to force their way around the clearances.

Fyfe (1.92m)
Barlow (1.9m)
Mundy (1.92m)
Sandilands (2.11)

Cunners

BIG: Cripps (brute force), Setters (smooth mover), Kemp (explosive) [Kennedy & Jack part time?]
Inside burst out of the stoppage: Dow, Stocker, Philp
Endurance/gut runners: Walsh (in/out), O'Brien (outside) [Willo & Gibbo?]
Zip/Step on the fringes: Cuningham, Fisher
Silky movers on the fringes/outside: SPS, Martin

There's a bit to work with there....

There are a lot of mids there and especially with an etc at the back of all those names :)

The problem, (if one wants to call it that) for Kemp is the fact that 2021 will really be his first year where he can show enough of himself to push a case for senior selection. A lot can happen in that time and what I do feel may be more likely to happen than to not, is for some of our younger mids really solidifying a spot as starting mids.

Cripps is obvious.
Walsh has already shown himself to be as adept on the inside as he is on the outside.
Setterfield - I keep going back to this name because he's the one that makes everything else fit so nicely.
Dow - He's exactly what this midfield needs going into the future. Have to make him work.
Stocker - Another deal-breaker here should he start to be employed in the midfield. These guy doesn't go to ground and is quick and dual-sided.
Fisher & SPS also have legitimate claims for serious midfield minutes.....and we haven't even brought in names like Kennedy and Philp.

By 2021, Kemp may be coming from a long way back trying to break in, so what's next for him in the senior side?
Just don't want to see him become a 'Tomlinson jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none'.

It’s clear that we are looking to emulate the Fremantle glory years (circa 2013), where they had the physically biggest midfield and just used their height and size to force their way around the clearances.

Fyfe (1.92m)
Barlow (1.9m)
Mundy (1.92m)
Sandilands (2.11)
We have a bit more variety in terms of what each player can provide than they did, and they relied a lot on shutting their opponents down via clogging the stoppage area with bodies, making their size matter more.

Can't play that way these days; Sydney created their slingshot which won them 2012 grand final, based around allowing their opposition to clog up the back 50, before using accurate kicking and slingshot plays to go over the close zone and to a faster player, who guns it back to forward fifty.

There are a lot of mids there and especially with an etc at the back of all those names :)

The problem, (if one wants to call it that) for Kemp is the fact that 2021 will really be his first year where he can show enough of himself to push a case for senior selection. A lot can happen in that time and what I do feel may be more likely to happen than to not, is for some of our younger mids really solidifying a spot as starting mids.

Cripps is obvious.
Walsh has already shown himself to be as adept on the inside as he is on the outside.
Setterfield - I keep going back to this name because he's the one that makes everything else fit so nicely.
Dow - He's exactly what this midfield needs going into the future. Have to make him work.
Stocker - Another deal-breaker here should he start to be employed in the midfield. These guy doesn't go to ground and is quick and dual-sided.
Fisher & SPS also have legitimate claims for serious midfield minutes.....and we haven't even brought in names like Kennedy and Philp.

By 2021, Kemp may be coming from a long way back trying to break in, so what's next for him in the senior side?
Just don't want to see him become a 'Tomlinson jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none'.
Big Levi does alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Levi does alright.

We can say that now and again, opportunity opened up and he grabbed it.
Two years ago, there weren't too many here, who saw Casboult as a 'must have' player.
In fact nobody saw Casboult as anything close to a required player, as if they did, he'd likely not be with us now.

Kemp will be fine and we'll have to see how he fits into the scheme of things when he gets back onto the park.

Cripps is obvious.

There's a still a quite a lot of versatility there though, they're not all one dimensional players. To me Dow (despite his forward stint last year) & Philp (from my limited viewing) appear to be shoehorned as inside burst mids (ala Shiel) while O'Brien looks an out-and-out winger.

Cripps inside mid/CHF
Walsh can genuinely play outside as a winger or inside (will drastically improve as he puts on a bit more size too)
Setters & Martin played both ends of the ground as well as midfield last year, as did Kemp in his junior years.
Stocker & SPS playing a bit of hbf
Fish, Cuningham & Gibbo playing as small fwds/hhfs/mids
Kennedy inside mid/hff/deep forward
Jack hff/3rd tall/midfield tagger

I like having the mix of types with second positions. It gives us significantly more flexibility on match day if there's an injury, if someone is being tagged, or Teague thinks a switch up would be a good offensive move. I'm not suggesting that we aim to play 22 jack-of-all-trades or even every single name mentioned above, but realistically a good chunk of teams are just playing midfielders on the flanks anyway.

We can say that now and again, opportunity opened up and he grabbed it.
Two years ago, there weren't too many here, who saw Casboult as a 'must have' player.
In fact nobody saw Casboult as anything close to a required player, as if they did, he'd likely not be with us now.

Kemp will be fine and we'll have to see how he fits into the scheme of things when he gets back onto the park.
I think i might have said at the start of last season that, if Levi was still in the team at the end of the season we haven't improved. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I watched a youtube highlights of every game from last year - an exercise well worth going through to remind myself just how good (in patches) each and every player can be. I was very impressed with Dow's speed off the mark running straight lines/Fisher's lightning and elusive movement over the first crucial 5 meters/Setterfield's footy smarts/Walsh's everything/Lob's kicking/Gibbon's smarts - buti wowee the best of Harry and Charlie is unstoppable and McGovern is a very very hard man to match up on - seriously smart footballer - but I have to say that Martin's highlight reels from 2019 makes me think he could be anything - particularly impressed with his ability to absolutely nail a tackle against anyone anytime and his movement/hands and kicking are just on another level - definitely can see him rotating through midfield or HBF or forwards as a Mr fixit. I think both Stocker and Kemp are going to end up playing midfield as on ballers are thereabouts - how they get there over the next couple of years will be interesting.

Competition for spots is going to be very good in 2020 - I think we are set with replacements for Simpson/Ed and even Murph on a 2-3 year view.

Fyfe (1.92m)
Barlow (1.9m)
Mundy (1.92m)
Sandilands (2.11)

Dunno if a string of near misses are glory years, but it’s a decent comparison.

Also gives us a lot of marking options coming out of defence, which allows us to play our key forwards closer to goal on transition, resulting in more one-on-one opportunities inside 50 pending some quick ball use through the middle.

So exciting we’ve added a first round slider again. Curnow’s talent was obvious from the get-go, and although Kemp won’t play until 2021 he will show small snippets which will forecast what he’s capable of.

Fyfe (1.92m)
Barlow (1.9m)
Mundy (1.92m)
Sandilands (2.11)

I'm excited - see the same thing being developed: Cripps/Stocker/Kemp/Setterfield with Dow/Fisher/Martin/Kemp/Cuningham type speed on top.

For mine, SPS off half-back, switching up to midfield during games a la McLeod. Things happen when he has the ball.
McLeod was my favourite player when I first started watching AFL - pure silk just glided over the ground - don't know if SPS has his leg speed - I thought Yarran was going to be 'our McLeod' and for a while he was...

What I see -

Kemp on a wing instead of Newnes
Philp in the backline maybe taking over from Simpson...in time.

All may have stints in the midfield, but have to find a home to settle in and develop from.

could see kemp on a wing late in his career, a la Richardson.

Think he’ll start as cover for McGovern/sos and Curnow to a lesser extent. With the aim to transition into more inside midfield.

Yep, but when it came to rucking, tall guys like 200 cm Len Thompson didn't really bother the greatest ruckman of all time.
Just proves how great he was and how well he used his bulk.

Big Nick was also very quick for a big fat bloke.

I watched the rarely seen 1969 GF the other week, and Nick could really put the foot down in a short burst. Especially when he had a scalp in his sights. Of course, his raised forearms when he reached his targets were just an innocent result of his running action building up speed. :)

Awesome athlete for his time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back