AE 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we need a big Kahuna, if the AE website is anything to go by.

As you may well appreciate, NOTHING GOOD last forever.. The NFL has transformed into a different identity as well. It’s been a great journey over these past 12 seasons.

We’ve had over 150 participants spread mostly across our great southern land as well as a handful in the USA. Couldn’t have lasted without the integral support of JeffDunne as well as the assistance of PeterBuch74 with the Next Duel standings updates. Much appreciated and THANK YOU TO ALL who made the AE one of a kind.

Like the late Art Modell, I’m moving on.

GOOD LUCK to whoever deems themselves ready to get behind the wheel of an almighty concept.

I'm happy to get the site updated for the new season but I don't have time to manage it all atm. I'm happy for someone to take the initiative in gaining feeback on what format it should be this year, etc if Woodson is out. I'll check in with him to see if he's had a change of heart.

Maybe it's time to simplify it and try to get more people in? i.e. just Confidence & 3XKO?

Maybe a two tier, straight up confidence tipping & with Next Dual, etc, make it for "premium" members only?

Just some thoughts. By August I'll be able to do a lot more but in the coming weeks I'm pretty busy. So if someone can work all that out I'm happy to still do the programming. We could automate subscriptions too once we work out the format.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
keep it as is....all the same comps, automate as much as possible...including next dual. dont need all the post-week score revisions and updates.

key is....if someone doesnt put their tips in, they get a score based on automated method. if there was a site error JeffDunne can handle that, where it automatically updates on CR and next dual etc. the comp schedule can be a simple spreadsheet format that JD can import directly to site.

what is there to really need? the comp can run itself thanks to JD's site. just take away all the extra stuff that woodson used to do.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
JeffDunne (suggestions)....

On the site, create a different front page, with a simple brief explanation of the comps being run and a DONATE/PAYPAL widget.

In future years we can create a flashy video or flash video. But for now just a front page like that. People have to pay first to gain access to the actual competition pages.

From your site admin end you'll be able to keep track of how many people are paid/joined. You can even create a mass email, where you send everyone an email inviting them to join AE 2019. All the old brigade. You have our emails. This can also get numbers up.

Tho existing people with login accounts can still login, they wont be able to access the competition pages until they've paid.

The only thing you need to settle on is an automated method for if people forget to put their picks in. Can be whatever, but be firm and settle on a decision. Eg, if all or many selections where not entered, a person gets the same score as the lowest scorer. Something like that. No complex arithmetical formula. If people did put their tips in, but the site didn't save it....you already can tell if that's true or not, and can adjust that person's score from your end. And with 3XKO, no pick entered = an X.

With that done, then all the comps are already fully automated.

Comps...

Confidence Ranking
Next Dual
3XKO
Drop Zone Elimination
Hot Streak

Next Dual...i or whomever can create a google spreadsheet, listing the conferences, divisions, and schedule. In a format that you need (PM required detailing the columns etc needed) that you can import to the site for the ND section of the page.

All the other comps are already automated.

GG.exe I'll put some thought into it over the next couple of days and work out how I can set that up.

In the past we've relied on Woodson to round people up and do the follow up. I suppose we can do most of that via the site if I pull my finger out.

Tomorrow/Monday I'll call him to see if he's still feeling the same way about doing it. I'll let everyone here know what's happening. I can do the subscription/signup work while fine tuning the rest of the site. I just need to get my head back in the game.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
GG.exe I'll put some thought into it over the next couple of days and work out how I can set that up.

In the past we've relied on Woodson to round people up and do the follow up. I suppose we can do most of that via the site if I pull my finger out.

Tomorrow/Monday I'll call him to see if he's still feeling the same way about doing it. I'll let everyone here know what's happening. I can do the subscription/signup work while fine tuning the rest of the site. I just need to get my head back in the game.
thats fine, friend. and take your time getting your head in the game (given the situations) :heart: and hugs.

touch base with woodson and let us know if hes in or out, and then we can plot a path

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
keep it as is....all the same comps, automate as much as possible...including next dual. dont need all the post-week score revisions and updates.

This for me too. While the weekly summaries added to the fun it is time consuming and not essential to what makes the comp great. Having a banter thread here is more than enough.

I'm pretty time poor but if there's anything I can do to get this up (even just sending reminders/recruiting people to join etc) I'm happy to see what I can do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see it happening.

NFL under Goodell is to corrupt to continue with a paid tipping comp as the results are manufactured to an extent.

Won’t be getting my money anymore and the AFL is not much better currently either. I will be dumbfounded if Woodson has anything to do with it honestly nor will I.

If the results are preordained, and I don't disagree to an extent, then you just need to read the script to tip winners.

Many of my tips now are based on "who would the AFL/NFL want to win?". We all knew the Rams were going to get an armchair ride last year. ;)

You've spent too much time in the Conspiracy Board :p
Goes deeper than that !

Fantasy is all I contribute anymore with AE effectively dead as general discussion is just immature crap. Sad that the board has come to this but it is what it is.

Game day threads are just crap with no quality at all as the better more knowledgeable blokes refuse to post and I am following suit and have done for over 12months now. s**t fights and being baited by others is not my thing as well as many others as genuine decent discussion is long gone and has been for a while. AE is also a victim of this because at the end of the day every good thing has a full stop waiting to be stamped on it. This board for whatever reasons is not what it was 5 or so years ago.

Whoever’s runs it, needs to make Woodson treasurer

I don’t think I need to be involved as the treasurer as the next person in charge will need to be disciplined and know their limitations.. as Chism pointed out, there is a complete shift of how this board was a few years ago to what it’s become.. not all of it’s a hellhole but it’s more to do with the quality of discussion on certain topics. I lost interest in it... the AE had me hanging in there ‘by obligation’..

I’m busy working on another project that got approval from a independent consultant I visited last week. I am willing to assist in handing over the keys (passwords) to the AE online social media accounts as I’m done ✅ and will be helpful to anything you (GG.exe << if you choose to take over the reigns)..

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m busy working on another project that got approval from a independent consultant I visited last week
Curious what this is. Can you tell? Don't have to reveal too much, just curious.

As for me taking over the reigns of AE. I'd rather not, I'm too stretched, and can't ever provide the kind of TLC and daily/weekly promotion, banner creations, knowing all the series records between people, and all that kind of stuff that you did. No one can ever replicate or replace that.

If you're stepping down, then AE has to move to a different kind of administration. One I talked about in the previous page.....where the site runs everything automated, and we just focus on the nuts and bolts of it, the online site and online service being automated and functional. That's really the most important thing. All the stuff you did Woodson was a bonus to really make the comp special for banter and having a special feel on this board, the activity of all the discussion/debate/etc which existed outside of the actual "making selections".

Like, if one were to join up a Yahoo comp, the essential thing is the Yahoo site itself...able to conduct all the comps. People pay, and there's a comp run. But there's no "community", no forum, no banter, no videos, banners, and the weekly drumming up of rivalries and all that. That only exists due to us having this forum on BF.

But we can live without it -- tho it'll certainly take the shine off the comp, all the banter, etc. Numbers probably drop. But it's the only way forward imo. Just ensuring the site is top-shape, and all the comps are fully automated. Especially this first year without Woodson. Baby steps moving forward.

I don’t think I need to be involved as the treasurer as the next person in charge will need to be disciplined and know their limitations.. as Chism pointed out, there is a complete shift of how this board was a few years ago to what it’s become.. not all of it’s a hellhole but it’s more to do with the quality of discussion on certain topics. I lost interest in it... the AE had me hanging in there ‘by obligation’..

I’m busy working on another project that got approval from a independent consultant I visited last week. I am willing to assist in handing over the keys (passwords) to the AE online social media accounts as I’m done ✅ and will be helpful to anything you (GG.exe << if you choose to take over the reigns)..
Never said you had to anything with running the comp, but quite obviously people trust you with their $25.
I understand you not wanting anything to do with it, but I can’t see a problem with you just holding the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back