Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

A non hierarchical school based on the 'Preshil' model. A 'Collective' focused on the cultural anthropology of the 1980’s Australian and International ‘Indie Scene’. Generalist classes in music, visual and performing arts, fashion, gigs and happenings will run. Discussion of the 1990’s will be permitted.

Suggested reading:

1704312579814.jpeg

Last edited:
Foundation; Catch the Zeitgeist Wave.
When like minds meet on a shared history of Melbourne through music play lists of 1983...this is what happens.....why let a conversation around the internet campfire go up in smoke....catch it in the bell jar or petrie dish of humanity.
Eh Voila!

THIS
" 3KZ is Football and my academic level thesises are a very specific year of 1983, with anecdotes thrown in....like where was it you saw the band, what was the goss at the time on the street, the milieu, deep hard to come by real hardcore knowlege.....like you know, how sticky was the carpet in the Espy on a specific night? What night of the week was it the most sticky? Very few chosen ones have lived to share that knowlege. Educators Of youngun's Tarkyn_24 and his ilk, that would die to have been born in that era that we swanned through. We are ..connoisseurs no less.... that have shared with all of you, Melb's history from the High & Low Cultural battlegrounds. This stuff of legend is hen's teeth, the bee's pyjamas. You can't just go to any bookshop or library and find this. "
Pamcake1

THAT
"There will come a time when people won’t know what the Thursday Night Crawl on Fitzroy Street was or why, in 1984, I Spit On Your Gravy wrote a song about it.
The fact that the Prince of Wales and The Seaview Ballroom were both ‘free entry’ on Thursday nights will be lost on people. They won’t appreciate the fact that you could wander between the two pubs all night in order to catch this band or that. That you would see friends on the street and sometimes change plans on a whim and end up having an amazing time because someone heard there was a party in a house in South Yarra or Prahran.
Gone, gone, gone.”
3KZ is Football

The 1983 Play Lists:

3KZ

“Let’s just stick with 1983 for a moment - I’m a bit of an 80’s Indie music nerd and I’ve made playlists for every year of that decade. Each playlist only features songs released in that Calendar year. My thesis is that 1983 was the greatest year of the decade and I’m pleased you seem to be on board with this. Here is my playlist:
1. Blue Monday (New Order)
2. This Charming Man (The Smiths)
3. New Years Day (U2)
4. Radio Free Europe (REM)
5. The Cutter (Echo and the Bunnymen)
6. The Love Cats (The Cure)
7. Burning Down the House (Talking Heads)
8. Age of Consent (New Order)
9. This Is The Day (The The)
10. Blister in the Sun (Violent Femmes)
11. This Is Not A Love Song (PiL)
12. Hand in Glove (The Smiths)
13. China Girl (David Bowie)
14. Every Day I Write The Book (Elvis Costello)
15. Dear Prudence (Siouxsie and the Banshees)
16. A New England (Billy Bragg)
17. Waterfront (Simple Minds)
18. Sugar Hiccup (Cocteau Twins)
19. Cattle and Cane (Go-Betweens)
20. Song To The Siren (This Mortal Coil)
21. I Hear Motion (The Models)
22. Judas Sheep (Hunters and Collectors)
23. Institutionalised (Suicidal Tendencies)
24. Uncertain Smile (The The)
25. Let’s Go To Bed (The Cure)
26. The Way You Touch My Hand (Nomads)
27. Igloo (The Screaming Tribesmen)
28. Tojo (Hoodoo Gurus)
29. My Girl (Hoodoo Gurus)
A brilliant year for music, especially with The Smiths and REM releasing their debut albums. “

PAMCAKE1
"I'll need a warm up for the academic round...if you want to get competitive on the turntable. It might take a little time to get my precis together to compare Masters thesis...after all I think the parameters you have set are a little restrictive, as there was a lot of bleed back in that era, from one year to another and tunes that were published OS weren't published in the same time frame here in OZ...and there were lot's of sleepers. Let me get research together.
3KZ is Football here's my research list of 25 for the 1983 Redux Masters Thesis.
I'm just squeezing in the gaps of course as you took the lions share.

Dance Club
1 The Message Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five
2 Little Red Corvette Prince
3 Where is My Man Eartha Kitt
4 Aint Nobody Chaka Kahn
5 Double Dutch Malcolm McLaren
6 Buffalo Girls Malcolm McLaren
7 Sexual Healing Marvin Gaye
8 Wanna Be Startin Something Michael Jackson

Radio Mainstream
9 Glittering Prize Simple Minds
10 True Spandau Ballet
11 Hungry Like a Wolf Duran Duran
12 Love is a Stranger Eurythmics
13 Long Hot Summer Style Council
14 Jelous Guy Roxy Music
15 2000 Miles Pretenders
16 Mad World Tears for Fears
17 Breaking Us in Two Joe Jackson *
18 In a Big Country Big Country
19 The One Thing INXS
20 Should I Stay or Should I go The Clash**

Alt Radio
21 Golden Brown Stranglers***
22 Eternally Yours Laughing Clowns
23 Thats the Way Deck Chairs Overboard
24 Oblivious Aztec Camera
25 In The Neighbourhood Tom Waits

*Sleeper No.1 on Chart 1983 Release Date 1992
** Release Sept 1982 Oz Release 1983
***Deep Sleeper Hit played more in Oz in 1983 when it became well known.

Last edited:

1986 Born Sandy Devotional The Triffids
Released March 1986 on Hot Records

I think we agreed both that this is the Greatest Australian Album of our era and a fitting first song.
A traveller...lets see where we go with all of this:

Theids_rel_2.jpg

It's A Wide Open Road

Last edited:
24. "Like a snake calling on the phone" is the opening line of which song by The Saints?

The Age we’re getting with the indie zeitgeist with this quiz question last Sunday.

I might do a ‘first line’ quiz at some stage.

For now, I love the first line of the song ‘Chicken Killer’, from Born Sandy Devotional. - “I knelt, I aimed, I missed, I ran …”
It does do much in a dramatic / poetic / literary sense. A much underrated track and one of my favourites on the album.

The narratives on this album are brilliant. Each track is like a snippet from a wonderfully conceived short story.

Last edited:
1984 Tales Of The Unexpected Lighthouse Keepers
Released Nov 1984 Hot Records

R-5020963-1484121799-3352.jpg
The 80's Era produced great bands from all over Australia....it wasn't just a Melbs -Syd cultural divide.
The true legacy of Countdown on the generation that were teens when it started in November of 1974.
Australia's first National Music Program going out country wide proving more influential than MTV which came years later.
Even if you were living in a tiny one dog town it connected you with music, fashion, cultural ideas....that lit the fuse...that exploded all over OZ.... the 80's music scene
In Canberra, The Lighthouse Keepers 1981-86....stable mates on Hot Records of The Triffids.
I Love the aesthetics of a homemade music clip:
Another traveller.....
Ocean Liner

Last edited:
Mixed Tapes
IMG_8635.jpeg

Cherished Xmas pressie from my boyfriend of that Summer, Dom was doing Law at Sydney Uni and living in Newtown and I was doing a fine Arts Degree at Prahran living in Carlton. Pre internet days when sharing music was hand done on tapes..the tape has bits on it where he forgot to lift the needle as the song ended, crackles of well played vynyl etc.Tapes that were made had coded messages in songs selected and the order they went in, I know this one does. I retro fitted a casette deck in my car because I don’t want to step off analogue and this tape is always on at the start or somewhere during roadies…..my absolute fave tape ever. Love the Hand Colouring. I’ve never transcribed the play list til now and I’ve got absolutely no idea how in the hell he had the Jerry Garcia recording* pre-internet but it’s up on YT as listed below.

The Christmas Mix 1985
A
Side
Beautiful Waste The Triffids
Electric Lash The Church
Raining Pleasure The Triffids
Another Day In The Sun The Moffs
Out Of The Unknown Died Pretty
Mirror Blues (Parts 1&2) Died Pretty
You Are My Friend Rain Parade
Blue Rain Parade
Prisoners Rain Parade
Ocean Liner Lighthouse Keepers
B Side
Love Beacon Lighthouse Keepers
Throw Your Arms Around Me Hunters & Collectors
Shivers Boys Next Door
Bring The Hammer Down Do Re Mi
Lipsnipegroin Lighthouse Keepers
From St Kilda To Kings Cross Paul Kelly
What She’s Done To Your Mind Rain Parade
Know Your Product The Saints
Wedding Cake Island Midnight Oil
Thats What You’re Here For Green On Red
Jerry Garcia's funny acid story/Grateful Dead LSD story*
This Is The Day The The
Uncertain Smile The The

Last edited:
2024 is shaping as a great year for gigs. How good does this look?!
FEATURING Mick Harvey, Harry Howard, Genevieve McGuckin, JP Shilo, Conrad Standish and TJ Howden.
Special guest singers will include Adalita, Hugo Race, Jonnine Standish, with more to be announced.

Thursday, 7 March 2024 7:00 pm Thornbury Theatre - Ballroom (Thornbury, VIC

Last edited:

The The

Matt Johnson in London.

Matt Johnson in London.CREDIT: HELEN EDWARDS

Armageddon seemed vividly imminent when The The last played Melbourne in 2018, but somehow the UK art-rock doomsayers’ multimedia visions of global collapse have survived to awe us all over again. The Ensouled World Tour that kicks off in the UK in September will only be the second outing from Matt Johnson’s apocalyptic vehicle in more than 20 years. While he’s revealed nothing else so far, past visits would indicate an unmissable collision of gallows humour, cinematic media and grim prophesying about “Kentucky Fried genocide” for The Beate(en) Generation. The Ensouled title implies we might get his first album in 24 years too, so maybe the end of the world is not as nigh as we thought.The Palais, November 17

A non hierarchical school based on the 'Preshil' model. A 'Collective' focused on the cultural anthropology of the 1980’s Australian and International ‘Indie Scene’. Generalist classes in music, visual and performing arts, fashion, gigs and happenings will run. Discussion of the 1990’s will be permitted.
I played cricket for Preshil.

1982 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,3,2,1 Midnight Oil
Released Nov 1982 on Sprint Music (Columbia)

unnamed.jpg
Song US FORCES

I saw them at the Myer Music Bowl for their concert backing up the release of this album, with my the boyfriend Michael (dec.), who was a customer of Rocco's* he had the Joe Jackson's made for him.
That would be the last time I was at the bowl for a concert....a very unique Melbs venue.... Bingo 1983.'
Pamcake1

"I first saw Midnight Oil at the Sentimental Bloke in Bulleen in 1981. My ears rang for two days. Great band. I caught them again in 2022 outside Geelong at a Winery as part of the ‘Resist Tour’. They hadn’t lost it. Here’s the set list for the show at ‘The Bloke’
3KZ is Football

IMG_0420.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1983. Before Hollywood the Go-Betweens
2nd Album released in May 1983
The Band formed in Brisbane in 1977. The 2nd most Famous Brissy music export.

Beforehollywood.jpg
Cattle and Cane
Feels like you're travelling through country........
The lanscape flying past.....like memories fly past.

"And the waste memory wastes.......''

This is the original 1983 Film clip below.
I prefer it to the later one that most people know that gets shown all the time.
I imagine that some record company said when Cattle and Cane rated that they had to do it again with higher production values.

Last edited:
Nice. I used to watch Ross Hannaford play solo gigs in the front bar at the Espy in around 1997.
He did some nice Bob Dylan covers.
He was a regular at Camberwell Market right up until the end of 2015. He'd just rock up, guitar and portable amp and just play for coin. A couple of times he was there with a 'blackfella' don't quite know who the guy was, obviously a mate who played with him.
One Talented guy. Very much missed.
So 1983.....80's were your teenage years......great bands playing round Melbs...what who did you see.........

He was a regular at Camberwell Market right up until the end of 2015. He'd just rock up, guitar and portable amp and just play for coin. A couple of times he was there with a 'blackfella' don't quite know who the guy was, obviously a mate who played with him.
One Talented guy. Very much missed.
So 1983.....80's were your teenage years......great bands playing round Melbs...what who did you see.........
My mate's brother was in Bored and The Powder Monkeys so I saw them a lot. Powder Monkeys were a great live band.
Also watched Seminal Rats, Hoss and bands like that.
Saw touring bands like Rollins, Dinosaur Jnr, Sonic Youth, Ron Asheston in Destroy All Monsters.
Saw Dylan, Iggy Pop at the Palais in Stkilda.

My mate's brother was in Bored and The Powder Monkeys so I saw them a lot. Powder Monkeys were a great live band.
Also watched Seminal Rats, Hoss and bands like that.
Saw touring bands like Rollins, Dinosaur Jnr, Sonic Youth, Ron Asheston in Destroy All Monsters.
Saw Dylan, Iggy Pop at the Palais in Stkilda.
1983 China Girl David Bowie

Iggy Pop China Girl 1983 Interview
Great interview with Donnie on Sounds in you guessed it 1983.
Donnie never got the credit for his show that he should have.
He was a very good interviewer and gave his subject heaps of time to get themselves into trouble on the couch.

Last edited:
THE BALLROOM
"The thing is that it was a scene and it was a crazy good one. People knew about it and wanted to be part of it. Amazing international performers like Iggy Pop, Nico, New Order, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Simple Minds, PiL, The Psychedelic Furs, Violent Femmes, The Fall, The Dead Kennedys, The Damned, The Residents and many more all came to St.Kilda to play at either The Ballroom, The Prince or around the corner at The Venue. Then there were The Buzzcocks and The Ramones who played on the Lower Esplanade at The Palace. All this action on one street or in one or two square kilometres."3KZ is Football

"I don't remember the Seaview, I remember the Crystal Ballroom. What a fabulous dive that was." Kurve

"Same place. It had a name change. They are interchangeable. Crystal Ballroom / Seaview Ballroom. In conversation it was just the Ballroom." 3KZ is Football

"And for the young ones if they bother to read this...the Seaview Ballroom was a scary place...seeing the Birthday Party play there was a blood sport..." Pamcake1

THE BALLROOM
"The thing is that it was a scene and it was a crazy good one. People knew about it and wanted to be part of it. Amazing international performers like Iggy Pop, Nico, New Order, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Simple Minds, PiL, The Psychedelic Furs, Violent Femmes, The Fall, The Dead Kennedys, The Damned, The Residents and many more all came to St.Kilda to play at either The Ballroom, The Prince or around the corner at The Venue. Then there were The Buzzcocks and The Ramones who played on the Lower Esplanade at The Palace. All this action on one street or in one or two square kilometres."3KZ is Football

1704306849508.gif

Doing A Geographical St Kilda 80's
Nightcrawling: The George home of the Seaview Ballroom aka Crystal Ballroom, the Ballroom & The Snake Pit (sold in 1987 and 1989 closed for refurb), The Prince of Wales - (Home to Pokey's and Pennies 70-80's), The Esplanade -aka The Espy or the S Bend, Earl's Court Ballroom - The Venue, The Village Bell, Bannanas, The Palais (Out of action for refurb after 1984), St Moritz closed in 1981 and torn down, St Kilda Bowling Club(private parties), The Greyhound, The Palace (Burnt down 2007), The Linden Tree, Bojangles, Les Girls, Sweethearts,
Eating; Sherazade, Blue Danube, Topolino's, Di Stasios (1988), Tolarnos, Greasy Joe's, The Galleon.

14937208_10154218836213822_7813361645427858304_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back