Autopsy 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney v Fremantle Aftermath

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying Selwood is crap, hes an absolute gun, but the way he plays for free kicks is a disgrace to our game. Good on him if he does get the All Aus captaincy, doesn't change the fact hes a ducker.

I didn't say you called him crap. I'm just calling you a classless footy supporter.

What about Hall escaping suspension, or the holding of Sampi?
Think you'll find in that case, the Swans engaged one of the best QCs in the country to read the AFL's rules to them.

They changed the rule soon after, and so they should have, as it was ridiculous. But hardly our fault for playing by the rules.

So, no tin foil hats on that one I'm afraid.

I find it amusing from the Sydney posters trying to downplay the armchair ride they got from the umps. 20-12 differential aside, it was the non- calls, the inconsistency which ruined the game. It is revisionism to try and claim the few cheap frees right in front of goal didnt have some influence on the game.

You have a final - two teams going hard at it yet one getting penalised more than the other? Pav as usual monstered for most of the day. Pike was all over Sandi for only 1 free for the game for example. It's just silly to assert one team is fouling when both are a playing just as hard against each. Give us even, consistent umpiring ffs.

This sort of one-eyed assesment really sh1ts me up the wall.

Yes, all those things you mentioned happened. No argument.

But why then, on a weekly basis, and as sure as my arse points down to the ground, do you or other non-Swans fans conveniently ignore the blatant scragging, jumper-pulling & other forms of illegal interference that occurs with the likes of Tippett, Goodes & Franklin when the ball is in our forward 50?

Or is it OK because they have a height advantage? A reverse COLA if you will.

FFS.

Out of interest when was the contract signed for the ANZ deal? I can only assume it was well, well before the redevelopment of the SCG was even conceived.

In the 1990's.

Prior to the design phase, the AFL requested (and pumped in extra millions) to have the stadium built in a way which allows the stands to be moved out to facilitate the bigger playing surface.

Trade off was that the AFL had to agree to play 3 H&A games plus all finals for 20 years.

The arrangement ends in 2016.

The better team won, no disputing that at all.

Having said that, I think a couple of things are obvious

1. The umpires should've headed off into the Sydney change rooms post game......absolutely diabolical umpiring and something like 6 goals to 1 from free kicks......could only ponder what would happen if Freo got the same treatment

2. Sydney fans would've absolutely loved the commentary as it had an incredibly pro-Sydney outlook......yes, supporters from both teams do watch the game so it would be nice to have consistency but not to be

Overall.....it was a shit afternoon played at a shit stadium with shit commentary and corrupt umpiring. Anyone that says the AFL doesn't have an agenda is kidding themselves.

Hawks vs Swans Grand Final purely from the agenda angle.

1. The umpires should've headed off into the Sydney change rooms post game......absolutely diabolical umpiring and something like 6 goals to 1 from free kicks......could only ponder what would happen if Freo got the same treatment
is 6 goals to 1 just your bias and selective hunch from memory, or do you have any facts to back that up? cause i remember alot more Freo goals being a direct result of a free. also, ask yourself, honestly, how many of those supposed 6 goals from frees were given in error? how many obvious frees were overlooked in the would-be recipients attacking 50? Hill comes to mind for Sydney, cant think of anything for Freo. instead of blaming umps, you should take a look at why your team regularly concedes so many frees, week in and week out

Fremantle cheating? Haha, aren't they near the bottom for frees? You got McGbitch (McGlynn) & Goodes in your team and you want to talk about cheating?

Every bloody kick or contest they dive in, umpires ping them because they take out the legs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or maybe our midfielders don't duck there heads like a bunch of pussy cats. We have a captain that doesn't throw his head back at every contest, damn him for not setting an example.

No, but the take out the legs its not all its some of your players, some are just dirty give the rest a bad name

Same as floggy posters like you make all dockers fans looks stupid

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 2m
First Preliminary Final hosted by Sydney Swans to be played on Friday as Swans were highest-ranked side from the 2 qualifying final victors.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 7m
Wk2 Finals Fixture: Fri 12/9; 2nd Semi - Geel v NM/Ess at MCG, 7.50pm Sat 13/9; 1st Semi - Frem v Port/Rich at Patersons, 5.45pm local time
Not taking the opportunity to right the wrong from 2012 I see.

OT was surprised how often fremantles kicks were smothered or just floated to get picked off. They didn't bring the game I saw when they played us 3 weeks ago. Credit to Sydney's pressure for that.

Will the surface perform worse for a night match vs a day match?

Re-watching some of the game now, I wonder if the amount of out on the fulls we coughed up were to do with an unfamiliarity with the narrowness of the ground. I don't think it's a heap narrower than Subiaco, but from memory it narrows off a lot more quickly than Subiaco does.
Seemed more that kicks being made under physical contac causing kick to spray from what I saw.

No, but the take out the legs its not all its some of your players, some are just dirty give the rest a bad name

Same as floggy posters like you make all dockers fans looks stupid
Only watched bits of the game but agree. I seen two instance that made me shake my head at the call. Some times its a free to the slider for head high other days its a free the other way V. Frustrating rule. I dont blame Freo. Umpires AFL$$$$$ meh

What a rubbish, ungracious post. Game was even until the third quarter and Freo played better in the last quarter than Sydney. Get some humility buddy.
Freo on top for much of 3rd but unable to convert on scoreboard - Sydney have the lowest score conceded all season for a reason.

There is clearly a directive given to the umpires for Freo games. This has played out over the whole season, you just have to look at the frees differential ladder. Our numbers are very statistically anomalous, it really stinks of a genuine agenda/bias against our side.

And it isn't like we are some dirty team or anything. This is just some myth or perhaps self-fulfilling prophecy. We play quite similar to Sydney, hard and defensively minded, win most of our games. They have a bit more attacking flair, but we should have similar sort of numbers. But we don't.

This game was just another to go with how most of our games are umpired. With the vast majority of 50/50 calls, they are adjudicated in the opposition's favour. If you look at each one individually, you can argue the call is OK, so the AFL can support the umpiring decisions. But over the duration of a match it can add up to a hefty advantage to the opposition.

Then you have those moronic commentators who see our player get pushed in the middle of the back in front of goal, and they just condescendingly laugh and carry on as if nothing happened ..."that was probably a free to Crozier ... (chuckle, chuckle) ... Man I love the Swans, they are just a powerhouse side".

This sort of one-eyed assesment really sh1ts me up the wall.

Yes, all those things you mentioned happened. No argument.

But why then, on a weekly basis, and as sure as my arse points down to the ground, do you or other non-Swans fans conveniently ignore the blatant scragging, jumper-pulling & other forms of illegal interference that occurs with the likes of Tippett, Goodes & Franklin when the ball is in our forward 50?

Or is it OK because they have a height advantage? A reverse COLA if you will.

FFS.
It's only consistent for buddy to not get frees. Wonder if he did something to anger umpiring fraternity back in his hawk days?

There is clearly a directive given to the umpires for Freo games. This has played out over the whole season, you just have to look at the frees differential ladder. Our numbers are very statistically anomalous, it really stinks of a genuine agenda/bias against our side.

And it isn't like we are some dirty team or anything. This is just some myth or perhaps self-fulfilling prophecy. We play quite similar to Sydney, hard and defensively minded, win most of our games. They have a bit more attacking flair, but we should have similar sort of numbers. But we don't.

This game was just another to go with how most of our games are umpired. With the vast majority of 50/50 calls, they are adjudicated in the opposition's favour. If you look at each one individually, you can argue the call is OK, so the AFL can support the umpiring decisions. But over the duration of a match it can add up to a hefty advantage to the opposition.

Then you have those moronic commentators who see our player get pushed in the middle of the back in front of goal, and they just condescendingly laugh and carry on as if nothing happened ..."that was probably a free to Crozier ... (chuckle, chuckle) ... Man I love the Swans, they are just a powerhouse side".

A few of those free kicks were from grabbing and tackling at the legs i thought quite a few of your players were reckless in their tackles not dangerous but infringed.

One that really stood out was the Hill non HTB which would of resulted in a shot at goal for us there is inconsistency in every game.

I disagree a lot. Fremantle I think are giving away a lot of free kicks because of a few things. Some of your players have reputations, Balla/Crowley are KNOWN to be pests and to push the envelope and give out far too much niggle. They didn't do much yesterday and they didn't give away many frees however.

"You can argue the call is ok" Because most of them were right. The first quarter the Fyfe one was a bit harsh a couple seconds in, but Hill threw the ball up and hit it a couple minutes later, Fyfe was caught for a more obvious HTB that wasn't paid a couple minutes later etc. What seemed to happen was Swans got a couple early free kicks, the narrative started from some Hawthorn Supporters/Fremantle supporters that Swans were being gifted the game. Few west coast supporters obviously came in to wind up Fremantle with complaints about umpiring and from their it blew out of hand.

Whenever Fremantle got a free kick it was just "Finally!" "About time!". When in reality the Swans got the rub of the green 1st quarter than after that it was pretty well umpired, Fremantle believe it or not WERE undisciplined. Pav kicking in danger was obviously there- the two legged calls were obviously there (can't believe people sooked about those) and Swans players consistantly got lower and went hard all game to get the ball and copped high tackles regardless.

Similarly to Balla often getting high tackles Ben McGlynn got a couple today due to height. The umpiring wasn't a big factor- If I was a fremantle supporter I'd be more worried that Hayden B didn't get near it and allowed so much run from Nick Smith, that most the Small Fowards were invisible, Fyfe carried the midfield for a quarter than went quiet and that seemingly a lot of the Swans players were left to run free. Who was Crowley on? Rotated ineffectually on all of them it seemed.

It's only consistent for buddy to not get frees. Wonder if he did something to anger umpiring fraternity back in his hawk days?

This is the biggest myth of all time that suddenly Franklin is getting far more free kicks than ever before.

This year Frees For: 1.3
Previous Hawthorn years: 1.3, 2, 1.4, 1.8

Buddy looks more disciplined this year (exception of start of year when he was clearly frustrated) and isn't giving away anywhere near as silly ones while receiving around the same amount he use to if not less (playing Key Forward this year when last year he didn't yet isn't getting more Free kicks...) and this is all while taking more Marks than ever before.

Edit: Upon reflection you might've been the only Hawk poster to not complain about Buddy Freekicks as a Swan haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back