Traded #2 Jacob Hopper (Pick 7, 2015 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Jacob Hopper

Height:
186cm
Weight: 82kg
D/O/B: 6/2/1997
Position: Mid

Powerful midfielder Jacob Hopper is officially a GIANT after being selected at pick 7 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft in Adelaide. A PM CAPITAL GIANTS Academy graduate, Hopper was initially chosen by Gold Coast in the first-round but the GIANTS chose to match that bid. Hopper, who is from Leeton in NSW, moved to Victoria last year and has been playing for the North Ballarat Rebels for the past two seasons.
He also captained NSW/ACT at the NAB AFL Under-18 national championships this year and was named in the All Australian team. Hopper averaged 23 disposals in 12 TAC Cup games and recorded nearly seven clearances a game along with five tackles. A big-bodied midfielder with the ability to play inside or outside, Hopper has an exceptional work rate and shows great composure with ball in hand. Likened to Swans star Josh Kennedy and new Geelong recruit Patrick Dangerfield, Hopper is also good over head and can impact the scoreboard.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-11-24/draft-pick-8-jacob-hopper#sthash.UQiCPES9.dpuf

"Jacob's an inside player who can also go forward and kick some goals. He's very, very good when it comes to one on one contested footy, he rarely gets defeated in a contest and he hunts the ball really well. He's the ultimate professional and what I mean by that is that he does everything he possibly can to get the the best out of himself. His preparation and his mindset are probably the best I've seen come through the Rebels in my time. We always say that when we need someone to step up, he's the one who will step up every time with the crucial goal, the crucial clearance, the big tackle. He's a great young man who knows where he wants to get to in football and in life."

- Phil Partington, North Ballarat talent manager

"He cracks in every time. We actually wanted him to start trying to get some easy ball, but he loves hurting himself and hurting other people and going in hard to get the footy. He's a determined SOB. There's not many people who would beat him if the footy's there in front of them."

- Tadhg Kennelly, NSW-ACT Rams coach

12316461_1002026893153158_478136709276433510_n.jpg

Hopper Jumping for a Spot

15 February 2016

Draftee Jacob Hopper hopes that a strong showing in Wednesday’s intra-club match will help him lock down a spot when the GIANTS’ NAB Challenge campaign kicks off next week.

After being selected with pick 7 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, it’s been a summer of learning for Hopper who’s trained closely with a number of the GIANTS’ star midfielders.

With this week’s intra-club just around the corner, Hopper said he and the three other draftees from the PM CAPITAL GIANTS Academy are looking forward to the first real hit-out of 2016.

“I’m really looking forward to having our first proper match set-up and really looking forward to matching up against some of the boys and learning from the boys again,” Hopper said.

“I’m really trying to put my best foot forward and hopefully get a chance in the NAB Challenge as well.”

The midfielder has wasted no time settling in to his new surrounds, and despite referring to himself as the “father” of the draftees, the mature 19-year old has taken every opportunity to learn off his more experienced teammates.

“Being a midfielder there are guys like Callan Ward and Cogs (Stephen Coniglio), Dyl Shiel and Greeney (Toby Greene) and those type of boys who are really good contested players and really good midfielders so I’ve tried to get under their wings and learn as much as I can.

I’ve really enjoyed learning from the best and matching up with the best has helped me get better.”

Hopper is treating every training session as a chance to better himself ahead of his debut season and said he felt comfortable mixing it with many of the GIANTS’ best in a recent match practice session.

“It was really nice to get my hands on the footy but at the same time I’ve got a lot of things to work on and a long way to go so I’m just trying to learn as much as I can and put my best foot forward as we get into some more game practice and intra-club on Wednesday and then hopefully get a chance in the NAB Challenge.”

There are only 2 players that we have drafted that I have hyped myself up about to extreme levels.

Coniglio (justified)
Whitfield (will be justified)

Hopper has me revving my engine like I havnt done since Coniglio

Wow - just....wow

Jacob Hopper opens up on heart scare shock and off-season surgery

NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph
February 7, 2017 8:42pm
Subscriber only

GWS Giants prodigy Jacob Hopper spent two hours lying awake on an operating table as surgeons repeatedly electrically shocked his heart.

The AFL Rising Star prospect has opened up on his off-season surgery to correct a heart condition he first encountered as a toddler, but didn’t have it diagnosed until last year.

Hopper, who turned 20 on Monday, suffered from a condition known as SVT, or Supraventricular tachycardia, an extremely high heart rate caused by improper electrical activity.

Out of nowhere, his heart would start racing and reach as high as 240 beats per minute, leaving him unable to complete even basic exercises.

The problem came to a head before Christmas when he suffered three incidents in one week.

“My heart rate went crazy,” Hopper said.

“It went up to 240. The nerve impulse goes around in circles and my heart races and to walk 50 metres I’d be stuffed. It wasn’t ideal at all.”

Jacob Hopper has had surgery during the off-season to correct a heart condition. Picture: Brett Costello
The complex operation did little to relieve Hopper’s anxiety as he was conscious throughout the two-hour process.

“They did an electrical study first where they shocked my heart to create an episode,” he said.

“That happened pretty easily. They were able to locate the problem and burnt where they needed to. The rest of the procedure was spent shocking me again to check if it worked. That was the worst part of the operation.”

The 187cm midfielder, who hails from the Giants’ academy region in the Riverina, has suffered the condition for most of his life but went years without even telling his parents.

“It was a scare,” Hopper said of the first time he had an episode.

“I remember as a young kid having an episode when I was very young. It was one of my first memories. I didn’t think much of it and didn’t tell my parents until years later.

“It never struck me as an issue. Last year I had an episode at the club which brought a diagnosis.”

Hopper in action during last year’s preliminary final. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Olympic 100m freestyle champion Kyle Chalmers also has the disorder and withdrew from a relay at the Australian shortcourse championships in November after an SVT episode.

High fitness levels usually help improve cardiac conditions but leading sports medico Dr Nathan Gibbs says it had virtually no bearing on SVT.

“This is an electrical abnormality so fitness is unlikely to have any bearing on the condition,” he said.

“SVT isn’t a life threatening situation. When it happens the heart is beating very quickly but not very powerfully because you’re not getting much blood out.”

Triathlete Greg Welsh had the far more serious Ventricular tachycardia which required nine open heart surgeries between 2001 and 2003 and forced him to retire from the sport.

Despite the heart surgery, Hopper doesn’t expect it to interrupt his season.

“I’m very confident I can just run out and play footy,” he said. “I was back after just a week which was strange because I’ve had other operations like my knee where it has taken a lot longer to get back running again.”

Giant staying put: Young mid inks new deal
September 2, 2017 11:38 AM

539783-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Jacob Hopper has signed a contract extension

GREATER Western Sydney has secured midfielder Jacob Hopper for the next two seasons, with the young gun turning his back on rival offers to re-sign until the end of 2019.

Hopper, who had been in the sights of Victorian clubs including Geelong and Carlton, announced his decision at the club's family day on Saturday.

The 20-year-old's signature is a boost for the Giants ahead of their finals campaign, with Hopper shaping as an important cog in the team's midfield after returning from a finger injury.

He was recruited with pick No.7 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft as a GWS Academy selection.

DIroj6YUwAA-ozO.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/GWSGIANTS

✔@GWSGIANTS

.@JacobHopper02's just announced to the Orange Army at our Family Fun day that he's re-signed until at least the end of 2019.

11:23 AM - Sep 2, 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/coach-s-bench-feedback-an-afl-boon-for-gws

Coach's bench feedback an AFL boon for GWS
16x9_small

Jacob Hopper says he has enjoyed hearing GWS coach Leon Cameron bark orders from the bench. (AAP)

Greater Western Sydney's Jacob Hopper says he's enjoyed receiving direct feedback from coach Leon Cameron on the bench during recent AFL games.

It's unclear whether coach Leon Cameron's shift to the bench and Greater Western Sydney's AFL form turnaround is a case of causation or correlation, but young gun Jacob Hopper is relishing the instant feedback.

Cameron, seeking to shake things up after a four-match losing streak, coached from the boundary line instead of the box during the club's breakthrough victory over Adelaide.

Cameron adopted the same tactic the following weekend, when GWS smashed Gold Coast by a record 108 points.

Plenty of coaches have barked directions on gameday in person during recent seasons but most have used it as a one-off circuit breaker - sometimes for a single quarter.

"It's something different. I'd never experienced it in my short career but I've really enjoyed it," Hopper said, noting a few of his teammates were in the same boat.

"It's good to have him right there in your ear. It's direct. You come off the ground and get that feedback immediately.

"Face to face. It becomes more significant when you hear it like that."

-----------More in the link above

Gun midfielder Jacob Hopper has won the Carey Bunton Medal for the best player from New South Wales in the AFL this season based on the votes of the AFL Coaches Association. The Leeton-Whitton product polled 51 votes in front of Swans pair Callum Mills (42 votes) and Isaac Heeney (41 votes).

The Carey-Bunton Medal is named in honour of NSW’s greatest-ever two players, Wayne Carey (North Wagga), the North Melbourne dual premiership skipper who is rated by many as the best player of the modern era in the VFL/AFL; and Haydn Bunton (Albury Rovers/Albury/West Albury), the most decorated player of all time with three Brownlow medals for Fitzroy in the VFL and three Sandover medals for Subiaco in the WAFL.

CAREY BUNTON MEDAL

51 Jacob Hopper

42 Callum Mills

41 Isaac Heeney

38 Taylor Walker

34 Tom Hawkins

11 Errol Gulden

Capture - Hopper.PNG

Star midfielder Jacob Hopper has confirmed his commitment to the club, signing a two-year contract extension until the end of 2023. The 24-year-old has taken his game to new heights in 2021 and was rewarded with selection in the Therabody All Australian squad of 40. Celebrating his 100th game milestone earlier in the year, he has averaged career-high disposals, clearances and inside-50s this season. The GIANTS Academy graduate from Leeton in southern NSW joined the leadership group ahead of this season.

Capture - Hopper.PNG

Farewell Hopper.png

The GIANTS have received another first-round draft pick as they bid farewell to Jacob Hopper.

Hopper departs for Richmond in exchange for a future first-round draft pick from Richmond and pick 31 in this year’s NAB AFL Draft. The GIANTS also sent picks 53 and 63, which they were not going to use, to Richmond.

Hailing from Leeton in southern NSW, Hopper played 114 games and kicked 42 goals in the orange and charcoal after joining the GIANTS from the club’s Academy program with pick seven in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft. GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney said:

“Jacob has been part of building our club to where we are today, and we thank him for his contribution to the GIANTS over the past seven seasons. The Hopper family have been a big part of the GIANTS and we wish them, Jacob and partner Liv all the best with their next chapter."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back