2003 World Athletic Champs

Remove this Banner Ad

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Start on Saturday August 23 (my birthday!)

Tatiana won't be there, but Patrick Johnson will prove if his sub 10 second run was a fluke or if he can now mix it with the big boys.

Any predictions on how Australia will fare minus Cathy, Jai and Tatiana (all medalists from Sydney 2000)?

My boss has gone over as the coach of marathon runner Shane Nankervis. Be interesting to see how he goes, as he wasn't really expecting to be at this stage just yet. Top 20 finish would be great.
Best chances - Dmitri Markov, Benita Johnson, Jana Pittman, both 4x400 teams, Patrick Johnson, Jane Saville.

I watched it.

It was pretty good watching it although there were only heats etc

Some of the events were live I think and some weren't.

The Shotputter did pretty well.

Will probably be watching again tonight. Even though I dont know the athletes I like watching it.

Patrick Johnson out in the quarter finals, didn't see the race but think he ran 10.29(?). Saw his first round but he wasn't that impressive in that.

Is he a one run wonder?

Jana Pittman semi tonight, IMO she'll have a tough time if she wants to win gold the woman from Russia looks like she will be tough to beat.

Originally posted by kretchy
Patrick Johnson out in the quarter finals, didn't see the race but think he ran 10.29(?). Saw his first round but he wasn't that impressive in that.

He was in the heat that had all the problems with the false start and Drummond's protest. The commentators seemed to suggest he didn't handle the 30 minute delay and all the tension very well. According to them he can lose his technique under pressure and stress.

Originally posted by Weaver
He was in the heat that had all the problems with the false start and Drummond's protest. The commentators seemed to suggest he didn't handle the 30 minute delay and all the tension very well. According to them he can lose his technique under pressure and stress.
Fair enough i spose, didn't realise he was in the Drummond heat. But to be fair all the others in that heat had to deal with the same problem.

Looks like our hopes now rest with Markov in the Mens Pole Vault and Jana Pitman in the 400m Hurdles.

Word from the olympic scene is that the Drummond incident is going to cause a big headache for the Paris 2012 and the New York 2012 Olympic Bids.

Originally posted by Kenny_01
I was watching it, pretty amazing stuff.

The French crowd were acting like ****heads.

I wouldn't overstate this. With the way tickets are priced for these big events there is every chance that under half the crowd were locals. Certainly the French would have no love for the American who was disqualified, and there was a frenchman in the final calling for quiet who was being ignored.

I would suspect that there would have been a few thousand Americans in the stadium, and perhaps it was them leading the jeering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back