Player Sponsorship 2006 Travis Varcoe sponsorship

Remove this Banner Ad

Renegade said:
I think Jim Boy has planned on sending an email to all of the sponsors for Travis about the sponsor dinner i went to last night. I wrote a bit about the night and i'll start a thread once you all have got the emails.
Yeah I sent it out early this morning to email addresses supplied. Don't know why you didn't get it. On reflection, maybe I shouldn't have given it a subject of 'Pay off your mortagage now!'

Anyone see the article on him in the addy today?

http://www.geelonginfo.com/readarticle.asp?articleid=20840

Young Cat torn

Travis Varcoe says being away from home is difficult but he is focused on footballing success with the Cats.
Saturday, September 9
Jay Clark

TRAVIS Varcoe is a little torn between his two loves - family and his football.
After a long, and at times frustrating first season, he misses home and can't wait to get back.

But, having taken nearly 12 months to settle into an AFL club, the pull to prove himself a capable player has never been stronger.

Yesterday, the top Geelong draft pick said he couldn't wait for tomorrow's VFL final, or next pre-season, but that ultimately the move from his family and friends to a whole new world had taken its toll.

``I think I just need to get home for a bit, homesickness for me is pretty big and it's starting to build up a bit towards the end of the year,'' Varcoe said honestly.

``I'm excited to play finals footy, but at the same time being so close to the end of the year, you're almost home and you want to get back there to be with family.''

Taken with pick 15 and wearing the same number Gary Ablett made famous, the 18-year-old says it's probably only now that he's found his feet, and according to those around him, come out of his shell.

``When I first came here I didn't know what to do or how to do it. It's not like you could just get up and go and see your brother, or dad or mum,'' he said.

``My girlfriend helps me out a bit, but she's back in Adelaide and so you've sort of got nothing here who you can feel like you can talk to about personal stuff.''

From Elizabethtown in South Australia, Varcoe insists the club has been fantastic in supporting him through an unlucky run of shin, quad and hip problems that have kept him to just 12 VFL games.

The boys, he says, ``are awesome'' and ``really help take your mind off home'', while player welfare manager Ron Watt ``knows the answer to every question''.

But seemingly most important is the new friendship he struck up with some Northern Territory lads playing local footy at Bell Park, who for Varcoe, have made a world of difference.

``When I met the Barunga boys I thought it was the best thing, because all the indigenous boys have a good understanding of each other,'' he explained.

``It's like back home and they've helped me out a heap and I hope I've helped them too.''

Happy to have got almost all the way through a big first year, after missing most of 2005 with a foot injury, Varcoe is now intent on showing why the club was so excited to draft the lightning-fast indigenous star in the first place.

He's shown glimpses of brilliance in the twos, firing off quick hands and dodging traffic, and is primed to perform in the Cats' cut-throat VFL final against North Ballarat at Port Melbourne tomorrow.

As for the big picture, it includes a massive pre-season, hopefully a little bit of luck, and eventually the chance to prove he can cut it with the big boys next year.

Because, like some of his idols in Aaron Davey, Daniel Wells and Andrew Mcleod, when Varcoe gets going, he can be just as exciting.

``I want to unleash but you just need a few weeks in a row to put it together,'' he said.

``I think I've shown a bit this year but there's a lot more to get out there.

``Next year, next year is the year, and for me, it can't come quick enough.''

Remove this Banner Ad

Back