NCAA 2007/08 Regular Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: College Football 2007

Thanx for your lowdown V<F. I watched INVINCABLE recently and I enjoyed it more than WE ARE Marshall. There are THREE more that worthy of a mention.. Radio, Two For the Money & the Notre Dame College movie, RUDY, which is hard to track down... still haven't seen it. Radio is very good. Two for the Money not so good....starts well, falls apart at the seams but better than WE are Marshall IMHO.

Need to track down NORTH DALLAS Forty. Thanx. :thumbsu:

I don't include Rudy because the real Rudy came to my highschool when I was a senior to give a speech and he was an absolute ass and full of himself. So I don't give his movie any creedance. Just a personal thing, but that's why it wasn't included.

Two for the Money is great IMO g.g.

I wasn't sold on the passion. They seemed like fair-weather fans...no extended detail to SELL the TEAM with any conviction.. that's what really dissappoints.. I LOVE AL Pacino, his mannerisms are intoxicating to watch when he blows a fuse but I was expecting more football dialogue.

I'm glad you enjoyed it still Wizard.

I wasn't sold on the passion. They seemed like fair-weather fans...no extended detail to SELL the TEAM with any conviction.. that's what really dissappoints.. I LOVE AL Pacino, his mannerisms are intoxicating to watch when he blows a fuse but I was expecting more football dialogue.

I'm glad you enjoyed it still Wizard.

I enjoy a gamble here and there and love American Football so it wasnt going to be hard to please me on that front.

Pac-10

1. USC: All-Americans everywhere; 10 return on defense; another highly ranked recruiting class. It appears to be 'SC and everyone else this year in the Pac-10. QB John David Booty is Heismann candidate, and the front 7 on D could be one of the best in history.
2. UCLA: A surprise pick here at no 2, UCLA finished last season strong with 3 straight conference wins, including knocking off their nemisis USC. 20 starters return, plus QB Ben Olsen is fully healthy, so the foundation is there for the Bruins to build on. Appear the only conference side that stands a chance against the Trojans.
3. California: Steady skill position talent will serve Cal well this season, but they lost too much on defense to contend for the title. WR/KR DeSean Jackson is exciting, and QB Nate Longshore is solid, but the 2 sides above them appear far stronger, at least on paper.
4. Arizona: From here any of 5 sides could finish 4th. Arizona has a very good defense, 10 starters back, and installed a new offense in the off-season. It will be uptempo, similar to a Air Raid type offense, and is designed to protect QB Willie Tuitama, who is very talented decision maker.
5. Arizona State: Dennis Erickson has injected some fire into this side, and it will pay off immediately for the Sun Devils. Their offense returns 10 starters, and has talent to burn, and while the defense appears thin, Ericksons' ability to get the most of that side of the ball should be cruical. QB Rudy Carpenter and RB Ryan Torian form a solid backfield.
6. Oregon State: This side appears destined for a middle finish after a solid season last year. There is solid talent on either side of the ball, and Mike Riley has developed a solid reputation in Corvalis. They just don't appear to have the talent and depth to run with the big dogs this season, despite RB Yvenson Bernard.
7. Oregon: Similar to their in state rival OSU, the Ducks have a solid but not spectacular side this season. Their offense has a steady backfield, although QB Dennis Dixon has some questions. Defensively, they require more depth, but have 7 returnees to work with. A tough trip to Ann Arbor looms in Week 2.
8. Washington: Ty Willingham has been selling new QB Jake Locker to anyone who will listen. He loves the potential of not only Locker, but the whole side, which should be his best yet in Seattle. The problem for UDub is the first 5 games include: Boise State, Ohio State, at UCLA, and USC.
9. Stanford: New coach Jim Harbaugh is also optimistic about the Cardinal this season. Offensively they were hopeless last year, 2nd worst in the nation, and defense wasn't much better. But plenty returns on both sides, and their first 4 games are at home. They stand to improve over last seasons debacle, in the least.
10. Washington State: Wazzu is last here for 2 reasons: Defense and scheduling. The D is perpetually bad in Pullman, and this year will be no exception, only 4 return. And the schedule includes trips to Wisconsin, USC, Arizona and California which are all tough hikes. The offense will be fun though, and QB Alex Brink is in line to break various school records.

Pac 10 Champ: USC
Runner Up: UCLA
Surprise Team: Arizona
Wooden Spoon: Washington State
Offensive MVP: QB John David Booty (USC)
Defensive MVP: DB Antoine Cason (Arizona)
Newcomer of the Year: DE Everson Griffen (USC)
Surprise Player: QB Ben Olsen (UCLA)

7. Oregon: Similar to their in state rival OSU, the Ducks have a solid but not spectacular side this season. Their offense has a steady backfield, although QB Dennis Dixon has some questions. Defensively, they require more depth, but have 7 returnees to work with. A tough trip to Ann Arbor looms in Week 2.

With Gary Crowton leaving for more money at LSU, it will be interesting to see the strategies introduced by new offensive coordinator Chip Kelly. His offenses at 1-aa New Hampshire put up some incredible stats. Jeff Tedford and Gary Crowton got some nice job offers after their oc stints at Oregon, so this is a great opportunity for Kelly. Mike Bellotti has a good eye for offensive coordinators.

Chip Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back