hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Strange thread title I know but bear with me.

In Germany 06 Guus Hiddink took Luke Wilkshire with him as not quite an unknown but a guy most of us thought probably didnt deserve to be there and was taken almost as a last resort. The guy copped a hell of alot of flak and very few of us on this board thought much of him at all (I was on the bandwagon though !!!).

Fast forward a few years and this guy is an extremely important cog in the lineup wherever he plays, creating chances and picking decent passes which is something most of our side cant seem to do.

The question is who will be, if anyone, the guy that steps out from the shadows and makes his mark on the world stage and cements his spot in the side. Theres a few to choose from and had Williams been fit I wouldve said him but ill go with Brett Holman. 2 reasons for this - 1 is I like the guy as a player and thinks he cops a fair bit of unjust flak here and 2 is the fact we need someone other than Cahill, Kennedy and Kewell to step up and score goals, especially given theyre all under injury clouds.....

Thats my 2 cents, feel free to join in

The fringe players won't get much of a look in. Holman will play off the bench so it is probably him by default. I really like Jedinak but hard to see him getting much of a go.

Strange thread title I know but bear with me.

In Germany 06 Guus Hiddink took Luke Wilkshire with him as not quite an unknown but a guy most of us thought probably didnt deserve to be there and was taken almost as a last resort. The guy copped a hell of alot of flak and very few of us on this board thought much of him at all (I was on the bandwagon though !!!).

Fast forward a few years and this guy is an extremely important cog in the lineup wherever he plays, creating chances and picking decent passes which is something most of our side cant seem to do.

The question is who will be, if anyone, the guy that steps out from the shadows and makes his mark on the world stage and cements his spot in the side. Theres a few to choose from and had Williams been fit I wouldve said him but ill go with Brett Holman. 2 reasons for this - 1 is I like the guy as a player and thinks he cops a fair bit of unjust flak here and 2 is the fact we need someone other than Cahill, Kennedy and Kewell to step up and score goals, especially given theyre all under injury clouds.....

Thats my 2 cents, feel free to join in

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe Holman is the only candidate.

NO other players not from the 06 squad will play. [i really dont think valeri/jedinak will get a game]

And clearly, Holman is the guy that cops the most flak (me included)

Yup.

If Kewell ain't fit and Kennedy starts maybe Vidosic or Ruka will get a run as a sub and can provide a cameo at the end of a game but Holman's the only one that will get genuine game time you have to think.

Yup.

If Kewell ain't fit and Kennedy starts maybe Vidosic or Ruka will get a run as a sub and can provide a cameo at the end of a game but Holman's the only one that will get genuine game time you have to think.

who knows, at the current rate... Grella will get a red card in the first game open up a spot in the team

i just looked it up because holman seems to have been around for a while without doing much and holman is 26 and wilkshire is 28, so i think its beyond him to do much more than he has, or at least get the astronomical development wilkshire managed. Also remember that Wilkshire changed teams to a different style and improved whereas holman is already in that system and has yet to improve.

It makes you think how lucky wilskhire is that Aussie Guus came along otherwise he'd probably be back in the a-league by now.

Thing with Holman is I dont think weve seen the best of him at NT level. He scores quite a few goals in Holland and the workrate he has is enormous, its about time some of that effort turned into Socceroo goals.

I don't know why but I keep thinking that Ruka is gonna come on late in the game against Germany and score the winner, maybe it will be him.

Thing with Holman is I dont think weve seen the best of him at NT level. He scores quite a few goals in Holland and the workrate he has is enormous, its about time some of that effort turned into Socceroo goals.

I'm not sure about him banging them in at club level, according to wiki he kicked 1 gaol last season and 6 goals this season, but it is wiki so it could be wrong.

Also where he fails is that final touch not many players pick that up they either have it or they dont, BUT stranger things have happened!

Well the 2010 World Cup is over for Australia, so time to hand out the Luke Wilkshire Trophy

My nomination would be: Brett Holman

Scored 2 goals
One of our best players in attack in all 3 games whether it be starting or off the bench.

Any other nominations?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Valeri for mine, Holman close second, Valeri's tournament SHOULD ensure we never see Grella in the Green and Gold again.

God i hope so i used to like Vinnie as a player but ever since he left Italy to play in England he has just fallen to pieces as a player. Valeri was very good for us although i was carrying on saying Jedinak should be playing. I like Holman he has that classy touch about him but the flak he has copped in the past in some ways was deserved and has turned him into a better player for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back