2012 Tour de France: Stage 3 (Orchies - Boulonge-sur-Mer)

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott 'mid-life crisis' Sunderland.

First the flower shirt and now the tough guy leather jacket?

Does this guy get dressed by a blind monkey?

Next young gun = Sagan
Next young gun = Marcel Kittel. Sagan already a gun ;)

Wonder if Vangarderen finished with the peleton. Didn't see him for a while.

Crash would have helped so many riders that wouldn't have been able to keep with the peleton. Id say everyone in the peleton bar Sagan will get the same time. Sagan should still be awarded a 1" win IMO.

Scott 'mid-life crisis' Sunderland.

First the flower shirt and now the tough guy leather jacket?

Does this guy get dressed by a blind monkey?
needs more hawaii
Voeckler just crossing the line, about 7 mins down. Looks like he wants to cry. Atleast we should see him attacking a bit more from here on.

tomas tomas-what has happened?

Not being racist, but has anyone else noticed there is always a black chick that presents KOTM jersey?

Also the green jersey chicks are always the hottest. Maybe hot chicks do like fast finishers....

Don't see the difference really tbh.

Phabulous Phil is about 7 years older than the velvet samurai, though. Sagan has now won 66% of all Tour de France stages he's participated in. Only two other cyclists in the last 35 years won two stages in their first Tour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sky have to wear re-incarnated stack-hats can they at least ditch the stupid looking cover things. Honestly the aero advantage minus your head cooking plus looking like a moo cannot be worth it.

Stage 3 Review
The stage from Orchies to Boulogne-sur-Mer provided a lot more entertainment than the uber-boring and formulaic stage 2 outcome. This stage featured no less than 7 categorised climbs in the last 60km of the stage, all of them cat 3 or cat 4. This prompted the commentators to compare the stage with the Ardennes classics - short, sharp climbs, separated by only a few km, on narrow & winding roads. This is also the same part of France where Wiggins came undone last year, breaking his collarbone and ending his Tour. It's probably not surprising then that this stage was defined by a large number of crashes.

I really should start by giving credit though to Michael Morkov, who went out in the breakaway for the 3rd day running. Once again, he was chasing the King of the Mountains points, increasing his tally from 4pts to 9pts before the peloton overhauled him on the second last climb of the day. This gives him a lead of 7pts, over Basso & Sagan (both with 2pts). With only 5pts on offer in the next 3 days, he will now hold onto the polka dot jersey until the end of Stage 6, where a mountain top finish atop a Cat 1 climb will almost certainly see the polka dot jersey move to a new host.

We finally got to see our first bleeding carrot lying on the deck, but he was able to get back on his bike and resume (after treatment from the race doctor). Not so lucky was Wiggins' team mate Konstanti Siutsiu, who broke his tibia in the same fall. Joke as we might about the bleeding carrots, but Team Sky have had more than their fair share of falls to date - Rogers was first to go down, then they lost Siutsiu, with Wiggins taking a turn on the deck, 300m short of the finish line. The loss of Siutsiu shouldn't hurt Wiggins' campaign too much - he still has Froome, Rogers & Porte to guide him through the mountains. What the SBS commentators failed to query was whether Wiggins himself was injured as a result of his fall - and what impact that would have on his race, even if he's only suffering scrapes and bruises.

Other riders to fall, at various stages, included Phillipe Gilbert (Evans' team mate) and Simon Gerrans (Australian national road race champion). Both of these riders were expected to factor in the final uphill sprint, but neither were anywhere near the leading group at the race's conclusion. Thomas Voeckler, who spent much of the 2011 race in yellow, was another to get badly held up by the various crashes - he finished 7 min down, his race is done, but at least he now has freedom to go on a breakaway or two.

The final fall, which took out Wiggins, was the fault of Oscar Freire. Freire was desperate to be involved in the final sprint to the line and attempted to force his way forwards through a gap that simply didn't exist. In doing so, his rear wheel touched the front wheel of the rider on his left - forcing that rider to veer left, straight into Wiggins and the barriers. The end result was carnage, with 2/3 of the peloton involved directly (falling) or indirectly (being held up). The crash was well within the final 3km, so all riders were credited with the same time - so it wasn't a total disaster for the GC riders involved.

In one of the more comical moments, Ivan Basso took an unintended detour, leaving the race route and riding down the support vehicle escape road just 200m from the finish. Oops!

The stage was won in spectacular fashion by 22yo Peter Sagan, claiming his 2nd stage win from 3 starts. He won with a 1 second time gap to 2nd, having sat up to celebrate in style long before crossing the line. Both of his wins have been the result of outstanding sprint finishes on top of some fairly steep climbs. This kid has won 9 stages in 2012, including 5 in the Tour of California. He's an absolute star in the making. He's an absolute gun when it comes to these short, sharp climbs. I wonder how he will go on the longer, grinding Cat 1 & HC climbs later in the race..

Sagan was followed across the line by Boasson Hagen, in a result which won't have surprised too many - this stage was ideally suited to a rider like him. Spartacus claimed 4th position, holding onto the yellow jersey in the process. Cuddles was the best of the GC riders, finishing a safe 6th place overall, just ahead of Nibali, Hesjedal and Kloeden. Tejay van Garderen also finished with the lead group, retaining the white jersey (best young rider). Wiggins eventually crossed the line in 53rd position, albeit with the same time as the lead group, 1 second down on Sagan.

I didn't think Wiggins went down? He wasn't the sky rider barrier side, He was on the inside he just stopped unclipped, went around. Lucky really, there would have been a small time gap.

Thought they said he was involved in the crash.. then the replay showed a Sky rider going A over T on the left, against the barriers. I put 2 and 2 together..

We also know that Wiggins crossed the line in 53rd position, behind 2 riders who weren't in the original peloton (and weren't given the peloton's time). This seems unlikely if he wasn't actually grounded himself, though he did cross the line in the same group as Rogers.

Just checked out the replay, definitely didn't go down in fact he didn't even need to stop if he didn't want to! Is Froome who goes down on the inside.

Just checked out the replay, definitely didn't go down in fact he didn't even need to stop if he didn't want to! Is Froome who goes down on the inside.
Yeah, definitely no fall, but it looked like his bike got tangled up a bit with the ones on the ground. Lucky escape.

Maarten Tjalingi of the Rabobank-team fell at about 40 km to go, when Gerrans tumbled into the ditch, and finished the stage... WITH A BROKEN HIP! :eek: The tough man of the day, in my opinion.

Who is cuddles? Is spartacus Cancellara? There are a few other nicknames I've read that are confusing to those of us whose interest in the Tour is ramping up.... Anyone care to shed some light on these and maybe why they came about?

I really enjoy the BigFooty tour commentary and summaries, you guys do a great job and its nice to get some coverage on someone other than Cavendish and Wiggins. :thumbsu:

Who is cuddles? Is spartacus Cancellara? There are a few other nicknames I've read that are confusing to those of us whose interest in the Tour is ramping up.... Anyone care to shed some light on these and maybe why they came about?

I really enjoy the BigFooty tour commentary and summaries, you guys do a great job and its nice to get some coverage on someone other than Cavendish and Wiggins. :thumbsu:
Cuddles = Cadel, just because the names sound similar.

Spartacus = Cancellara, I think that came about because of his physique, he is just a beast of a man.

Terminator = Sagan, because what he wants, he gets.

Alajet = Alessandro Pettachi. He was fast as a jet when he was younger. I'm sure Paul and Phil will talk about this nickname tonight.

There are others that I use sometimes, I guess they aren't official nicknames but you might see them on here. I call Andre Greipel "beast calves". If you don't know why, check our his calves.

They are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more though.

Others, not sure if they're all used here:

Samu - Sammy Sanchez (to distinguish him from Luis Lopez Sanchez)
Nibbles - Vincenzo Nibali
Cav/Frodo - Mark Cavendish
Vino - Aleksander Vinokourov
Condor - Robert Gesink
Boeing - Jens Voigt
Hog - Johan Bruyneel
Pistolero - Alberto Contador

Dear Peter Sagan,

Fix your freaking celebrations, you look like a dweeb and all my friends are bullying me for telling them you are awesome.

Regards,
Bond,ShaneBond.

PS Tell Scott Sutherland that he needs to ask his mother what to wear.

Last thing I remember was about 5km to go, then waking up and it was all over!

Does anyone know who was the rider who overshot the final corner to the line? Was in the main group and just kept going straight, was pretty funny.
Commentary said Basso but it looked like a Vaconsoleil rider to me.

Interesting comments by Tomalaris and Keenan regarding Sky's "professional foul" on the finish yesterday. Says something about Wiggo's mindset

Remove this Banner Ad

Back