2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Duggan...BP type ?

Kietel seems he is a chance to slip ?

What do you know on Lever , what Ive seen he is not really a great kick but he highly rated . These kids that miss do seem to slip thru Bampton is another isn't he?

Duggan will probably be more HB than BP but he is quick, a hard tackler and so can take an opponent in a close checking role but has really good skill by foot which is something we love in our defenders.

Keitel is a good talent but for me he is a forward and stylistically I am not a fan of drafting forwards with a plan to make them defenders, if you want that you should draft natural defenders IMO.

Bampton is good and should go first round, there are a lot players that will go after the first round that I rate, the draft has some talent in it.

Brett Eddy is a name on the rise in South Australia, whose efforts this year have now almost certainly got the attention of at least a few AFL recruiters. The 194cm FF from South Adelaide is currently leading the Ken Farmer medal race, as he has been for the majority of the season. The straight shooter kicked another bag of goals on the weekend just gone, adding 7 goals to his impressive tally for the year, bringing him to a total of 50 goals for the season thus far.

Eddy played for Collingwood's VFL team throughout 2011-12 and was a huge chance to be rookied by Collingwood, before a season-ending knee injury finished his AFL aspirations with Collingwood. He joined SANFL club South Adelaide in 2013 and after battling injury throughout 2013, Eddy has been in stellar form.

Having seen this guy play a lot, I'd love if he got another shot at AFL level. He'd be 25 by the time he would set foot on the track, should he find himself drafted to the AFL. But, buoyed by the success of other mature aged draftees, I see absolutely no reason why he couldn't become a success like Pods, Ian Callinan, Puopolo etc. At the very least, any AFL club who takes the punt has very little to lose but potentially a whole lot to gain.

Duggan will probably be more HB than BP but he is quick, a hard tackler and so can take an opponent in a close checking role but has really good skill by foot which is something we love in our defenders.
On both sides by all accounts.

On both sides by all accounts.

Duggan looks great though I don't think he should be towards the top of our list on a needs basis. He does though seem to be in that handful of mids in this draft with the best disposal (by both hand and foot - both are excellent). If we were to use our first on a mid Laverde would be my top choice. He looks very similar to Bomtempelli to me.

...am surprised a lot of people have Duggan sliding.
Reckon Wigg might be stealing a bit of his thunder.

Strangled Cat, Adelaide and Port would be all over Eddy I'd have thought.

Right under their noses (and playing against guys on their lists in the SANFL).

Schulz getting older and Butcher not meeting expectations at Port.

While at Adleaide, Podsiadly was surely only a short term fix.

Last edited:
Reckon Wigg might be stealing a bit of his thunder.

Strangled Cat, Adelaide and Port would be all over Eddy I'd have thought.

Right under their noses (and playing against guys on their lists in the SANFL).

Schulz getting older and Butcher not meeting expectations at Port.

While at Adleaide, Podsiadly was surely only a short term fix.

Piv , reading some of the Phantom stuff most seem to think Wiggs kicking is as good as it gets this year. Have you seen it? Perhaps that's really a question for Strangled Cat

Keitel is a good talent but for me he is a forward and stylistically I am not a fan of drafting forwards with a plan to make them defenders, if you want that you should draft natural defenders IMO.

Bampton is good and should go first round, there are a lot players that will go after the first round that I rate, the draft has some talent in it.

Re Duggan , if is HBF or BP is not as relavant to me as being a defensive mindset like Guthrie was. If he plays back or plays as a defe. mid and he kicks the ball as described , Id reckon he is one to look at.

Kietel? I really not sure if we will draft a KPP player , it may depend on who we let go but if someone like Brown does go Kietel look a big strong mark type. Have you seen Lever , because what I saw he was more a Hamling that a big strong kid like Kietel.

Bampton should go R1 but is a Phantom Draft where he does goes that early? Perhaps he may be a bit of a bargain.

Piv , reading some of the Phantom stuff most seem to think Wiggs kicking is as good as it gets this year. Have you seen it? Perhaps that's really a question for Strangled Cat

I haven't yet watched SA's second game but, while I thought Wigg's footskills against Country @ Geelong were good, I wouldn't have said elite.

But allowances need to be made since it was pretty windy down there that day.

I have been reading that Wigg is right up there though.

OK, so I nerded up a bit and collected the stats for the Div. 1 matches. Thought it was good as we often try and think back to the games and wonder how guys did.

Blakely seems to stack up reasonably well against Brayshaw (someone Twomey has inside the Top 10).

Across 4 games Blakely averaged 21 disposals (10 kicks & 11 handballs), 5.5 tackles, 6.75 clearances and 12 contested possessions a game. He was running at 79% efficiency (surprisingly good for a clearance player).

Brayshaw, over 5 games, averaged 21.6 disposals (15 kicks & 6.6 handballs), 4 tackles, 3.4 clearances and 7.6 contested possessions. Brayshaw was operating at 63.6% efficiency.

Petracca, widely regarded as the best mid available; 25 (14 & 11), 3.6 tackles, 5 clearances, 9.8 contested possessions at 67.6% over 5 matches.

So, while stats only tell part of the story, I think Blakely doesn't do too bad a job of matching it with the more fancied mids. The added bonus with Blakely, he has played senior footy in the WAFL.

Probably won't be able to have a serious watch of the games for a few months, but I like the cut of Nielson's jib. Reminded me a lot of JK, which in turn begs the question - would JK's success this year suggest our priorities have shifted away from a KPD slightly, or confirm that guys who are a touch undersized but possess good skills can translate their games effectively to senior level?

Probably won't be able to have a serious watch of the games for a few months, but I like the cut of Nielson's jib. Reminded me a lot of JK, which in turn begs the question - would JK's success this year suggest our priorities have shifted away from a KPD slightly, or confirm that guys who are a touch undersized but possess good skills can translate their games effectively to senior level?

I reckon the answer to that question also is reliant on how much faith the MC have in Hamling's future. Although he is still slight he is of KP height and may be that late developer body wise. If they don't think he is likely to play KP then we either go hard for Frawley or look to draft another tall big bodied defender. JK looks to me to be a nice 2nd or 3rd tall defender type but not quite big enough to play on the big boys.

I reckon the answer to that question also is reliant on how much faith the MC have in Hamling's future. Although he is still slight he is of KP height and may be that late developer body wise. If they don't think he is likely to play KP then we either go hard for Frawley or look to draft another tall big bodied defender. JK looks to me to be a nice 2nd or 3rd tall defender type but not quite big enough to play on the big boys.
Using these as a segue, and with discussion around Frawley, is someone like Jack Frost at Collingwood worth having a dip at?

195cm and, from memory, didn't look too bad earlier in the year (played OK against us). He'd have Brown, Reid and Keefe to compete with.

Im not in this camp YOTC , I think he is fine size for it , or his size would not exclude him so it just depends on how he develops. Frawley would just help breach the gap but if it doesn't work , id be happy trying to find another kid around the same as JK, none workout identical anyway. Who well I guess that just depends one the wizard.

Its not that dissimilar to last year when tossing around inside mid V KPB , Gardner V Dunstan or whoever. Yet the wizard went his own way with R1 , went inside R2 , went KPP R3. Point is , he may see a likely type that will probably land late or he may see its Mother Hubbards Cupboard post 30...

Using these as a segue, and with discussion around Frawley, is someone like Jack Frost at Collingwood worth having a dip at?

195cm and, from memory, didn't look too bad earlier in the year (played OK against us). He'd have Brown, Reid and Keefe to compete with.

Not the worst idea if we could arrange a trade of a borderline for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's an interesting comparison , I'd have said Marchbank showed a few similarities.

As a late pick that size maybe an undersize ruck is worth looking at. say Fox for eg. anyone seem him play?
As I've said , I the man take a KPP with R1 , fine he must liek what he see's but I think were are weaker in the Ruck than KPD , id also liek to add a real FP goal sneak , someone like that Daniel kid

Im not in this camp YOTC , I think he is fine size for it , or his size would not exclude him so it just depends on how he develops. Frawley would just help breach the gap but if it doesn't work , id be happy trying to find another kid around the same as JK, none workout identical anyway. Who well I guess that just depends one the wizard.

Its not that dissimilar to last year when tossing around inside mid V KPB , Gardner V Dunstan or whoever. Yet the wizard went his own way with R1 , went inside R2 , went KPP R3. Point is , he may see a likely type that will probably land late or he may see its Mother Hubbards Cupboard post 30...

My reasoning is that JK is 193cm. Assuming he doesn't grow any further I think that's just a little short to take on the monsters (unless you are a freak like Scarlett). He's 2cm shorter than H.Taylor and 4cm shorter than T.Lonergan. I'd like to see us go for a slightly taller player to compliment him. I'd like to think Goddard (196cm; 93kg as a junior) may fall to our pick but that probably wishful thinking.

To me a backline of:

B: Bews Goddard Kolodjashnij
HB: Thurlow Taylor .........

would stand us in good stead for quite a while. With that back six I see Goddard replacing Lonergan, JK replacing Rivers and Thurlow replacing Enright from our current lineup. Mackie is the next to need a protege but we don't have to worry about that just yet.

Not the worst idea if we could arrange a trade of a borderline for him

I'd be amazed, with Reid's injury history that Frost would be traded. I rate him higher than Brown these days too.

My reasoning is that JK is 193cm. Assuming he doesn't grow any further I think that's just a little short to take on the monsters (unless you are a freak like Scarlett). He's 2cm shorter than H.Taylor and 4cm shorter than T.Lonergan. I'd like to see us go for a slightly taller player to compliment him. I'd like to think Goddard (196cm; 93kg as a junior) may fall to our pick but that probably wishful thinking.

To me a backline of:

B: Bews Goddard Kolodjashnij
HB: Thurlow Taylor .........

would stand us in good stead for quite a while. With that back six I see Goddard replacing Lonergan, JK replacing Rivers and Thurlow replacing Enright from our current lineup. Mackie is the next to need a protege but we don't have to worry about that just yet.

I'd be amazed, with Reid's injury history that Frost would be traded. I rate him higher than Brown these days too.

I dont want to quibble on mm , the last article said 194 but I know what your saying , its fair enough. The forwards are not getting smaller.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-06-30/kolodjashnij-envies-twin-brother

Just to add , im not sure height by itself makes it for you.

On Frost , well who knows. The may have to do something with one of their talls with Moore coming in

I dont want to quibble on mm , the last article said 194 but I know what your saying , its fair enough. The forwards are not getting smaller.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-06-30/kolodjashnij-envies-twin-brother
On Frost , well who knows. The may have to do something with one of their talls with Moore coming in

I got my height from http://www.geelongcats.com.au/team/players/seniors but it may be out of date?

You know how we all have our favs coming into draft time? From memory The Pivotonian was keen on Mitch Duncan in his draft year and thejester was all over Allen Christensen in the same year - well this year it's Goddard for me! Please don't hesitate to shut me down between now and Nov if I get a touch repetitious in mentioning him (I think I'm up to 3 already this week...)

That's an interesting comparison , I'd have said Marchbank showed a few similarities.
I think Lever is also around that 191-192cm height (might be wrong but I think I've read he was around that size).

I like Marchbank, just did everything with minimal fuss and did it pretty well. A club could do worse than snap this kid up.

As a late pick that size maybe an undersize ruck is worth looking at. say Fox for eg. anyone seem him play?
That'll lead me into the Tassie V NT review.

A bit of a 'meh' game to be honest. Perhaps underselling NT (since it is only one viewing) but there doesn't appear to be much on offer from up north this year.

NT

I thought their best player was one people will already know, Erin Wasley-Black. The over-ager tried to lift a pretty ordinary NT side and got his hand on the footy pretty regularly. I seem to recall thinking this kid offered a bit and there was some surprise he didn't find his way onto an AFL list (wouldn't be the world's worst rookie). Laid a lot of tackles, stats suggest it was 10 but he always seemed to be the guy in the clinches trying to hold up Tassie.

Honestly, there wasn't much more on the NT front. Sam Godden and Zane Carter (both played as small defenders) did a few eye catching things and Marcus Hamilton kicked 3 goals and wasn't too bad as a small forward.

But for a team that traditionally is pretty highly skilled (with a bit of "razzle-dazzle"), NT were disappointing in this match.

However, according to Adam Ramanauskas, the one NT player to look out for is Nakia Cockatoo (184cm/84kgs midfielder).

TAS

So, since Turbocat raised his name, may as well start with Josh Fox. Wasn't a bad performance by the big boy. Playing in the ruck he had midfield numbers (26 disposals). He looked a handy proposition but he just wasn't really up against anyone. Duom Dawan (from Victoria) was drafted in as NT were short of tall men and Dawan looked completely lost. So, like a number of his teammates, it is really tricky to get any sort of gauge on the Tasmanian players because NT were ordinary.

Tim Jones and Caleb Hislop, inside mids, both got a lot of the ball. Hislop stands out a lot more than Jones (who did a power of work inside the packs). Ultimately I think Hislop is the better of the two but both of them look like guys that could turn into handy players once at a club.

Running off half back, Josh McGuinness picked up a lot of the footy, disposing of it by hand mostly. Did go on a few runs and started a few attacks. Looks neat.

One guy who could be a bit of a smokey is Josh Watts. Playing on the last line, he did a good job of repelling a lot of NT's attacks (again, the NT forwards weren't very good which probably made his life easier). But with 16 disposals, a size of 194cm and some athleticism, Watts could be a good, late option for a tall defender. But needs to put on some weight.

Rainbird and Hayden also were noticeable, particularly Rainbird as a small forward.

During the telecast, they spoke to Stephen Wells. A very short piece and, as usual, Wells didn't give anything away but he did say he felt the draft was "deep".

Last edited:

Collingwood certainly have a lot of good key defenders so they would be a good club to target.

Re Duggan , if is HBF or BP is not as relavant to me as being a defensive mindset like Guthrie was. If he plays back or plays as a defe. mid and he kicks the ball as described , Id reckon he is one to look at.

Kietel? I really not sure if we will draft a KPP player , it may depend on who we let go but if someone like Brown does go Kietel look a big strong mark type. Have you seen Lever , because what I saw he was more a Hamling that a big strong kid like Kietel.

Bampton should go R1 but is a Phantom Draft where he does goes that early? Perhaps he may be a bit of a bargain.

What I like about Lever is he is only 192 ish but he is very strong and can hold his own in a contest but also reads the ball flight and picks it off at his highest point. Rivers and Scarlett have been super KP backs at the same height. Sure, he wouldn't be able to play on maxi talls like Tippett or Petrie, but on a Walker or Pavlich or normal KPP height player he will do fine. I would be more confident about him as a KPD than Hamling as he has a better body shape for it.

I would prefer a big 196 cm + defender to replace Lonergan but there isn't really anyone that fits the bill in this draft.

I would prefer a big 196 cm + defender to replace Lonergan but there isn't really anyone that fits the bill in this draft.
Cue year of the cat.

However, Sam Durdin's teammate at West Adelaide, Jesse Watchman is 196cm and around the 90kg mark.

Plays in defence and attack and was part of the AIS Academy.

Sadly, I assume injury prevented him playing during the Champs.

Last edited:
Collingwood certainly have a lot of good key defenders so they would be a good club to target.
All young as well.

Brown, born in '88, is the oldest of the 4.

And don't forget they also have, probably more as a Maxwell replacement, Scharenberg (191cm) waiting in the wings.

And to change tact, wasn't it you that mentioned we were into Zac Clarke??

I also read that Jack Hannath is also out of contact at the Dockers. He might be worth a cheeky look.

All young as well.

Brown, born in '88, is the oldest of the 4.

And don't forget they also have, probably more as a Maxwell replacement, Scharenberg (191cm) waiting in the wings.

And to change tact, wasn't it you that mentioned we were into Zac Clarke??

I also read that Jack Hannath is also out of contact at the Dockers. He might be worth a cheeky look.

Griffiths @ richmond too…

Go Catters

Griffiths @ richmond too…

Go Catters
Honestly can't say I've seen much of him recently. I always thought he was a KPF. Gather he's been doing some rucking this year?

Certainly has the size for the job.

Seem to remember him being a good mark as a junior.

What I like about Lever is he is only 192 ish but he is very strong and can hold his own in a contest but also reads the ball flight and picks it off at his highest point. Rivers and Scarlett have been super KP backs at the same height. Sure, he wouldn't be able to play on maxi talls like Tippett or Petrie, but on a Walker or Pavlich or normal KPP height player he will do fine. I would be more confident about him as a KPD than Hamling as he has a better body shape for it.

How much have you seen of Lever Pure?

My almost zip bar a minute or two of highlights. On that viewing I wouldn't call his kicking action to the level of a Thurlow or a Mackie or a Taylor..... but he gets good reviews , so he must have something.One may find him falling to us , even though he was rated a single figure picks at one stage.

Im less concerned than some about of KPB's. We are in a much better position than 12 months ago imo. Kolo and Toohey give us a chance to have the KPD spot already taken care off if we rate Hamling and possibly Blitz. Doesn't mean we cant add , just that I dont think we are desperate for a kid. Im far more focused on the need of a ruck somewhere , and Id like to add a real goal kicker mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back