List Mgmt. 2016 Collingwood draft period re-visited

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty solid draft without any breakouts so far imo. We’ll see some in a couple years.

McGrath, Taranto, McCluggage not far away.

Yup its going to be a decent draft when people look past our selections which admittedly didn't start till 30. Don't know what they are on about here is the top 30 of which nearly all of them have debuted (all the bolded ie top 29) and mostly look like becoming decent players for their clubs.

1 Andrew McGrath Essendon Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
2 Tim Taranto Greater Western Sydney Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup Traded from Brisbane Lions
3 Hugh McCluggage Brisbane Lions North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup Traded from Greater Western Sydney; received from Fremantle
4 Ben Ainsworth Gold Coast Gippsland Power TAC Cup
5 Will Setterfield Greater Western Sydney Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup Academy player, Carlton's bid matched with picks 15 and 37.
6 Sam Petrevski-Seton Carlton Claremont WAFL
7 Jack Scrimshaw Gold Coast Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup Traded from Richmond
8 Griffin Logue Fremantle Swan Districts WAFL Traded from Greater Western Sydney; received from Collingwood
9 Will Brodie Gold Coast Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Traded from Melbourne
10 Jack Bowes Gold Coast Cairns AFL Cairns Academy player, Sydney's bid matched with pick 11.
11 Oliver Florent Sydney Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup Traded from Port Adelaide
12 Jy Simpkin North Melbourne Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup
13 Daniel Venables West Coast Western Jets TAC Cup
14 Harry Perryman Greater Western Sydney Collingullie-Glenfield Park RFNL Academy player, Adelaide's bid matched with picks 38, 44 and 51.
15 Jordan Gallucci Adelaide Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
16 Todd Marshall Port Adelaide Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Traded from Sydney; received from Hawthorn
17 Jarrod Berry Brisbane Lions North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup Traded from Greater Western Sydney; received from Carlton; received from Geelong
18 Sam Powell-Pepper Port Adelaide East Perth WAFL Traded from Sydney
19 Tim English Western Bulldogs South Fremantle WAFL
20 Isaac Cumming Greater Western Sydney North Broken Hill BHFL Academy player, Sydney's bid matched with picks 52, 54, 55 and 56.
21 Will Hayward Sydney North Adelaide SANFL Traded from Port Adelaide; received from Brisbane Lions
22 Jordan Ridley Essendon Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup
23 Alex Witherden Brisbane Lions Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
24 Cedric Cox Brisbane Lions North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast; received from Fremantle
25 Ben Long St Kilda NT Thunder NEAFL Traded from Hawthorn; received from Fremantle; free agency compensation pick (Mayne)
26 Brandan Parfitt Geelong NT Thunder NEAFL Traded from Richmond; received from Gold Coast
27 Zac Fisher Carlton Perth WAFL
28 Patrick Lipinski Western Bulldogs Northern Knights TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast; received from Richmond
29 Shai Bolton Richmond South Fremantle WAFL Free agency compensation pick (Vickery)
30 Sam McLarty Collingwood

So a draft that has seen 29/30 prospects play seniors in their first 2 years is a poor draft? Well I'll be forked I wonder what a good draft looks like?

Its the 2013 draft that has been the killer. Cost one premiership already. Sharenberg and freeman top 10 picks. West Coast have Sheed and barrass taken later who both killed us in the big one. We had them two and West Coast picked our two and result would have been reversed. So many other good players from that draft also.

That’s all good luck and bad luck. The real one that stings is trading Pick 44 for Jesse White then watching Ben Brown kick 60+ every year taken at Pick 47.

That whole whole draft is pretty weak, apart from a few at the top end and the occasional latter gem.

Not even close to correct.

The top 29 from that draft have all made debuts in only their first 2 seasons the first player to bomb has been our pick 30 in McLarty even then I think the call was some what early.

Not many drafts years can lay claim to that.

I'm still firmly in the pro-Brown/Daicos camp, willing to give them time

McLarty getting the chop obviously not ideal for this exercise though, one the club won't look back in fondly. Sier so close to getting the same treatment the year before too but we persevered with him..

Brown had a couple of dominant games/halves of VFL footy that gave me confidence in the decision to give him two years.

Daics has a lot going for him. His game against North was very good. Just not sure who he displaces in our best 22 over the next 12 months

Lynch has shown glimpses at VFL level. Next season will be key. Hopefully he gets himself to a position where he is first port of call if Grundy injured. 3 years on the rookie list isn't a huge investment.

McLarty is a very disappointing outcome. Anytime a 2nd rd pick gets delisted after two seasons you have to give the selection a fail mark. I just don't get how we have got from his promising signs as a key defender in 2017, to not playing a minute down back in 2018 and being delisted despite still showing very good signs. I'd like to see the evidence the club used to determine he'd never make it at AFL level. (even if I have witnessed VFL runners and players desperately trying to give him a message that he was apparently unable to hear)

Kirby was a good selection. Following him in 2017 was very exciting and a highlight in an otherwise bleak year. Sadly the questions of whether Kirby would ever develop the professionalism to perform at the elite level will never be answered due to health factors outside his and the club's control.

McCarthy was disappointing. I never saw what many other VFL watchers saw as great potential

Schade I can see what the club was going for. But I honestly I reckon I would have been a better footballer if I had his attributes. Its a shame because he showed enough over preseason to get first go at the fullback spot over Dunn.

Mackie, a rookie longshot that never looked like coming off. A bit like Manteit (bet there will be people reading this post who'll be thinking who the * is Manteit)

Players we have missed out on that I would love on our list. Cox or Stewart instead of McLarty. Ronke instead of McCarthy.

Otherwise (keeping in mind there will always be misses) I can live with the Brown, Daicos, Kirby, Schade, Mackie, Lynch selections for now.

still dont 100% get the McLarty delisting. & Geelong getting Stewart & Rata hurts.

Sam looked like the body shape of someone who would take 3 years to come good. Seems that you have to be v mobile and athletic to make the grade nowadays. Obv didnt learn from the Billy Morrison & Jackson Paine selections...

Brown had a couple of dominant games/halves of VFL footy that gave me confidence in the decision to give him two years.

Daics has a lot going for him. His game against North was very good. Just not sure who he displaces in our best 22 over the next 12 months

Lynch has shown glimpses at VFL level. Next season will be key. Hopefully he gets himself to a position where he is first port of call if Grundy injured. 3 years on the rookie list isn't a huge investment.

McLarty is a very disappointing outcome. Anytime a 2nd rd pick gets delisted after two seasons you have to give the selection a fail mark. I just don't get how we have got from his promising signs as a key defender in 2017, to not playing a minute down back in 2018 and being delisted despite still showing very good signs. I'd like to see the evidence the club used to determine he'd never make it at AFL level. (even if I have witnessed VFL runners and players desperately trying to give him a message that he was apparently unable to hear)

Kirby was a good selection. Following him in 2017 was very exciting and a highlight in an otherwise bleak year. Sadly the questions of whether Kirby would ever develop the professionalism to perform at the elite level will never be answered due to health factors outside his and the club's control.

McCarthy was disappointing. I never saw what many other VFL watchers saw as great potential

Schade I can see what the club was going for. But I honestly I reckon I would have been a better footballer if I had his attributes. Its a shame because he showed enough over preseason to get first go at the fullback spot over Dunn.

Mackie, a rookie longshot that never looked like coming off. A bit like Manteit (bet there will be people reading this post who'll be thinking who the **** is Manteit)

Players we have missed out on that I would love on our list. Cox or Stewart instead of McLarty. Ronke instead of McCarthy.

Otherwise (keeping in mind there will always be misses) I can live with the Brown, Daicos, Kirby, Schade, Mackie, Lynch selections for now.

and Manteit was a bit like Lachlan Smith..

still dont 100% get the McLarty delisting. & Geelong getting Stewart & Rata hurts.

Sam looked like the body shape of someone who would take 3 years to come good. Seems that you have to be v mobile and athletic to make the grade nowadays. Obv didnt learn from the Billy Morrison & Jackson Paine selections...

Agree. McLarty has McCartin's Problem as he not Athletic Enough. Teams looking more the Moore Type then a McLarty Type

Who did we trade in that year? The draft pickings are slim. The biggest mistake appears to be selecting McLarty over Brennan Cox. I know a few were keen on Cox that year.

Our 2016 1st & 2nd rounders went to GWS for Treloar and WHE in 2015 which significantly diluted our 2016 options.

We also added Dunn via trade, and Wells and Mayne via FA.

You cant review the draft without also reviewing the players we have traded in or bought in via free agency. In 2015 for example we traded away our 2016 first and second rounds to help land Trelaor and Aish. In 2016 we topped up with WHE Dunn Mayne and Wells. Hine knew a year in advance the draft would be weak.
He also knew we would have some solid discounts and access to the F&S's and they were always going to take them IMHO.

Daicos will work out, have faith kid can play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a bust draft yet for us as we still have Brown and Daicos on the list- particularly if they both come good.

McLarty- this is a wasted pick. Any time you spend a second rounder and he's out of the system in 2yrs, it's a bust of an selection.

Exactly, durability is his only problem. That said I reckon he was fully fit in September but nobody wanted to roll the dice.

Production is another issue. Moore is still a 10 disposal a game player. Although I reckon he has elite potential in defence. I'm not sure he'll reach those heights forward.

Production is another issue. Moore is still a 10 disposal a game player. Although I reckon he has elite potential in defence. I'm not sure he'll reach those heights forward.

Not too concerned about stats. Tom Hawkins only averages 12. Taylor Walker 13. Couldnt be bothered looking up any more.

Moore just needs to see out 100 minutes and get some consistency and the marginal increase in output will come naturally.

I heard someone ring in SEN today and suggest that he needs to see a psych so that his brain can tell his body it's right to go when it is, rather than thinking he's injured.

I would not take anything from a Caller on SEN to Seriously

I heard someone ring in SEN today and suggest that he needs to see a psych so that his brain can tell his body it's right to go when it is, rather than thinking he's injured.

It wasnt just him, it was also the club. When you get to finals, every week when you dont roll the dice just makes it even harder to roll the dice another week later. Same thing happened to Paul Medhurst in 2010.

Not too concerned about stats. Tom Hawkins only averages 12. Taylor Walker 13. Couldnt be bothered looking up any more.

Moore just needs to see out 100 minutes and get some consistency and the marginal increase in output will come naturally.

Tough to compare the stats as he has played half his career in defence where you more likely to get a few cheapies. Though agree, stats aren’t the concern -young Talls can have stink stats and then become game changers. Hawkins got smashed by everyone until he decided to win a gf and then became better than Cloke...which I was always doubtful he would. When was last time Moore played 5 game in a row

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% he would given a full time role fwd. He was 18 and 19 when he last played there against men in a bot 6 team with 18th worst disposal entering fwd 50 and generally stifled ball movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back