D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive game this week between SM and OGGS.

Burberry playing state game, would think he may have emotional and physical let down after state game?Helps SM next game.

Oh dear BB, whatever you took before posting this, please abstain from it in the future.

It's next week, not this week, and if you think George Burbury (having been in the AFL/VFL system for 3 seasons and played 7 AFL and 50-odd VFL games) is going to have a physical or emotional let down after playing this weekend.....dead set.....give me a spell :rolleyes:

Here's some straws for you to clutch.....

Brunswick NOBSPC vs Old Mentonians - Think a 152 point turnaround from round 1 could be on the cards here...
St Mary’s Salesian vs Old Geelong - Draw. Based on typical accuracy final score will be something like SMS 12.6 (78) v OGFC 10.18 (78)
Ivanhoe vs PEGS - Should be a belter. The duel between Hoer fwds and PEGS backs pivotal in this one.
Old Paradians vs Prahran-Assumption - Draw. A repeat of the Round 1 result would be crap for both sides, but I can't separate them.
Therry Penola vs Whitefriars - Depending on which Friars side turns up, this could get ugly.

Massive win for SMS today, threw everything at Geelong who have had our measure in the past. Puts us two games clear of them and on top after ivanhoes boilover against PEGS. I don't think we've been the best team all year, but we're undefeated at home and if we can maintain that come seasons end we should give ourselves a great shot in the finals. Conversely, Ivanhoe have put themselves in finals contention now and it seems almost criminal to think that a team as good as OGGS (who I still rate as the benchmark) may potentially miss finals altogether if I few results go against them. Cracking season!

Very good effort from our young side today against the previous ladder leader. It's been a challenging year playing off our home ground since round 4 and in some pretty ordinary facilities, but we continue to put some good footy together at times.

Today we started slowly and then PEGS completely outplayed us in the second 1/4 to race to a 7 goal lead. The coach was calm at half time, made a couple of moves to get better match ups and asked the team to work a lot harder for each other. Thankfully the guys responded and played some good football in the conditions and had it within a point at the last change.

A tight first 10 minutes in the last and then we opened it up again and got 4 goals in front late in the game to secure a great win for the club and keep us in touch of the big boys.

Big thank you to the PEGS players and supporters who came into the rooms after the game in very good numbers and supported the raffle, a few beers and a laugh at two of our blokes who had to sing 'horses' in public as a 'penalty'.

It's a very big month for us - Hoping to see a few more back over that month and improve competitiveness for spots - always handy through these next few weeks when 'work and illness' seems to play a bigger part than getting to training.

Chump

Last edited:
Can't see anything other than a PEGS win in this one, regardless of Rd 1

Of course not. Winning at Essendon away was clearly some aberration right? Just like this 10 goal turnaround to win was.
Underestimate the Hoes at your peril, their best effort with their best side are dangerous.

Of course not. Winning at Essendon away was clearly some aberration right? Just like this 10 goal turnaround to win was.
Underestimate the Hoes at your peril, their best effort with their best side are dangerous.
Yeah, a very impressive result. I honestly didn't see it coming. Same thing happened when I scoffed at hedgefund when he suggested old mentone were going to drop off. Each person is going to have a different perspective, when SMS came up against OMs they were unstoppable, whereas a seperate team showed up against Friars and that's why hedgefund knew they were due to lose. From the games I've seen and played in, PEGS were a much tougher side to play than Ivanhoe, whether that be due to form/injuries/holidays

Yeah, a very impressive result. I honestly didn't see it coming. Same thing happened when I scoffed at hedgefund when he suggested old mentone were going to drop off. Each person is going to have a different perspective, when SMS came up against OMs they were unstoppable, whereas a seperate team showed up against Friars and that's why hedgefund knew they were due to lose. From the games I've seen and played in, PEGS were a much tougher side to play than Ivanhoe, whether that be due to form/injuries/holidays
5 straight wins now and while not a flag fancy, are a dangerous side if taken lightly. I was very surprised you were so dismissive of their chances. Go Hoes

With only 2 games separating the top 6, and then 2 games separating the bottom 4 nothing in D1 is a certainty. Each week it seems we are looking at a season defining match up, yet the season is still wide open. Next week it's OGGS v Ivanhoe. It seems that many still hold OGGS up as the flag favourite, I still maintain that they may miss finals all together. Ivanhoe are in good form and if they defeat OGGS then the road home is uphill.
From the sidelines this weekend:
  • George is clearly a talent and has benefited from a number of years in the system at the top level, yet his work rate Saturday was unimpressive.
  • OGGS hit SMS hard early (literally), but SMS stood up to it. They are no longer the skinny young kids they were in D2.
  • At full strength the SMS mid-field is probably the best in the comp.
  • A 10 goal win by Therry, with 10 to Bannister (impressive) reiterates my earlier position on how dependent they are on him.
  • The final 4 won't be decided until the final siren in round 18

With only 2 games separating the top 6, and then 2 games separating the bottom 4 nothing in D1 is a certainty. Each week it seems we are looking at a season defining match up, yet the season is still wide open. Next week it's OGGS v Ivanhoe. It seems that many still hold OGGS up as the flag favourite, I still maintain that they may miss finals all together. Ivanhoe are in good form and if they defeat OGGS then the road home is uphill.
  • George is clearly a talent and has benefited from a number of years in the system at the top level, yet his work rate Saturday was unimpressive.
  • OGGS hit SMS hard early (literally), but SMS stood up to it. They are no longer the skinny young kids they were in D2.
  • A 10 goal win by Therry, with 10 to Bannister (impressive) reiterates my earlier position on how dependent they are on him.
^^^^
Head. Nail. Bang.

Hoping the bottom 4 become a bottom three in the next month! Realistically, it's hard to see us pinch one at home against SMS or PEGs but we are getting our mojo back a bit at Friar Park. More likely will be the next two against Paradians and P-Assump which, if we salute, would see us 5-9 with 4 to play. Should be 2.5 games ahead of 9th if all other games go to plan:p.

Very interesting month ahead in Div 1 for sure.

Massive game for us this week against OGGS on their home deck ............. can not recall the last time we won there. Maybe we never have???? They are a much better team on the open expanses of Como and would not have enjoyed Ferny on the weekend. If we sneak a win we stay very much alive in a race for the final four. Lose and our poor % could prove to be a deciding factor and a bridge to far. Great to see such a tight season and evenly match teams than one or two standouts!

Chump

Hey Guys,

I'm moving back to Melbourne after spending the past 2 years on the Gold Coast.
I'm 27 and haven't played footy in a few years and will be moving to Hampton so am looking for a club in the Premier B or C grade to finish out the year (happy to just play 2s as I have no match fitness).

I've played most of my life in WRFL Div 1 and also spent time in rep sides and TAC Cup when younger so my footy ability would be up to standards if I could get my fitness peaking, which is pretty far off.

I'm looking to go to a club with about 10-15km from my home and am looking at the following clubs, I'd like to get your opinion on the best option for me, or if you would recommend another club which could fit my requirements:

1. Big ground - Being a running wing/half back, I appreciate the bigger grounds, so this would be handy
2. Good quality people and vibe around the club after a match
3. Ripper Thursday night meals - This is a non-negotiable ;) Nothing better than a good feed on a Thursday waiting for the side!
4. Blokes who enjoy a punt, always good to have a beer and bet with the footy boys!
5. Club that are organised and look after their players (Obviously I understand this league doesn't offer cash, but business networking ideal).

Some clubs I'm looking at include Beaumaris, St Bede's/Mentone and Caulfield Grammarians, let me know your thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Guys,

I'm moving back to Melbourne after spending the past 2 years on the Gold Coast.
I'm 27 and haven't played footy in a few years and will be moving to Hampton so am looking for a club in the Premier B or C grade to finish out the year (happy to just play 2s as I have no match fitness).

I've played most of my life in WRFL Div 1 and also spent time in rep sides and TAC Cup when younger so my footy ability would be up to standards if I could get my fitness peaking, which is pretty far off.

I'm looking to go to a club with about 10-15km from my home and am looking at the following clubs, I'd like to get your opinion on the best option for me, or if you would recommend another club which could fit my requirements:

1. Big ground - Being a running wing/half back, I appreciate the bigger grounds, so this would be handy
2. Good quality people and vibe around the club after a match
3. Ripper Thursday night meals - This is a non-negotiable ;) Nothing better than a good feed on a Thursday waiting for the side!
4. Blokes who enjoy a punt, always good to have a beer and bet with the footy boys!
5. Club that are organised and look after their players (Obviously I understand this league doesn't offer cash, but business networking ideal).

Some clubs I'm looking at include Beaumaris, St Bede's/Mentone and Caulfield Grammarians, let me know your thoughts?

Had to create an account just so to say you need look no further than St Mary's Salesian AFC.

As far as location goes, you'll be right. Just get a whip with good mileage and hop on warrigal road. So that's sorted. I'll address your other requirements as follows:

1. Big Ground - Done. The wide expanses of Ferndale Park will enable you to find 30-40m of space on the carpark wing. Pack your swag and enjoy some uncontested ball.
2. Quality people - I can say with confidence that almost half of us are good blokes. With a lot of the rest tolerable after tipping a few back, or "good once you get to know" them (not good).
3. Feeds - The chook has been cooked medium rare this season, and if you don't go back for a 2nd helping of the Bangas and mash then you're the one that needs a bake (amirite?).
4. Punt - Gamble your sub payments away with our day at the races. Or if you're feeling a bit more high-end, you're not too late for our annual trip to Sandown park for the dish lickers. You can even roll the dice on a Thursday night if you're lucky.
5. Organisation - tick. There are a number of astute businessmen floating around. If you like pushing a wheelbarrow full of dirt or moving furniture then you might be in luck. I was even once given a hot lead on a window cleaning gig, the bloke didn't pick up the horn but you know.

In regards to the other clubs you're interested in, consider these pivotal factors:

Beaumaris: No ticker
St Bede's: Allergic to frothies
Caulfield: Lost to an awful Div 1 side in a praccy this season

See you tomorrow night at the Fern, 6pm.

Had to create an account just so to say you need look no further than St Mary's Salesian AFC.

As far as location goes, you'll be right. Just get a whip with good mileage and hop on warrigal road. So that's sorted. I'll address your other requirements as follows:

1. Big Ground - Done. The wide expanses of Ferndale Park will enable you to find 30-40m of space on the carpark wing. Pack your swag and enjoy some uncontested ball.
2. Quality people - I can say with confidence that almost half of us are good blokes. With a lot of the rest tolerable after tipping a few back, or "good once you get to know" them (not good).
3. Feeds - The chook has been cooked medium rare this season, and if you don't go back for a 2nd helping of the Bangas and mash then you're the one that needs a bake (amirite?).
4. Punt - Gamble your sub payments away with our day at the races. Or if you're feeling a bit more high-end, you're not too late for our annual trip to Sandown park for the dish lickers. You can even roll the dice on a Thursday night if you're lucky.
5. Organisation - tick. There are a number of astute businessmen floating around. If you like pushing a wheelbarrow full of dirt or moving furniture then you might be in luck. I was even once given a hot lead on a window cleaning gig, the bloke didn't pick up the horn but you know.

In regards to the other clubs you're interested in, consider these pivotal factors:

Beaumaris: No ticker
St Bede's: Allergic to frothies
Caulfield: Lost to an awful Div 1 side in a praccy this season

See you tomorrow night at the Fern, 6pm.

Haha, you've made me smile mate, good humour, I like it!

Unfortunately I'm still up in Mermaid Beach enjoying the last bit of sunshine, I'll be back in Melbourne July 2nd, but I understand transfers must be done before the end of month, so I'm trying to get sorted this week, and then hopefully slot in for the final 5 or so games.

Location doesn't seem to be too far from me which is good, I had a look at the stats, like that you blokes are sitting on top of the ladder, but seem to be lacking some good firepower up forward with your for score over 300 points off 2nd place.

Anyway, Ideally I'd like to be playing in Premier B which is probably where I'm at in my football these days.

Beaumaris looks the closest to me, why do you say no ticker?

I'll have a think and may be at the fern in a few weeks!

Haha, you've made me smile mate, good humour, I like it!

Unfortunately I'm still up in Mermaid Beach enjoying the last bit of sunshine, I'll be back in Melbourne July 2nd, but I understand transfers must be done before the end of month, so I'm trying to get sorted this week, and then hopefully slot in for the final 5 or so games.

Location doesn't seem to be too far from me which is good, I had a look at the stats, like that you blokes are sitting on top of the ladder, but seem to be lacking some good firepower up forward with your for score over 300 points off 2nd place.

Anyway, Ideally I'd like to be playing in Premier B which is probably where I'm at in my football these days.

Beaumaris looks the closest to me, why do you say no ticker?

I'll have a think and may be at the fern in a few weeks!

Yeah clearly just having a bit of a laugh. I'm sure Beaumaris are a good club (as are the other 2), had to type something though!

We're going okay at the moment in a really tight division, but there's always room for more. Send me a PM if you want some serious info!

Did anyone at Ferndale see what occurred 5 minutes into quarter one that left Manny Dolan unconscious on the ground?

I only caught a glimpse of the bloke who did it jogging away as Manny was on the ground. To be honest, id be surprised if it was an extremely malicious hit, the guy seemed like an alright bloke, reckon it was more of a case of an unfortunate bump contact. Would probably still get a week or two for it given what resulted.

I only caught a glimpse of the bloke who did it jogging away as Manny was on the ground. To be honest, id be surprised if it was an extremely malicious hit, the guy seemed like an alright bloke, reckon it was more of a case of an unfortunate bump contact. Would probably still get a week or two for it given what resulted.
It happened in front of me, but as the play was 20 meters away I only saw Manny go down out the side of my view, didn't see the contact, but there was only one guy near him. Good win though, particularly one down for the whole game.

I laugh at a lot of this.
When push comes to shove though, teams that have played finals deserve a lot more credit.

Therry played in back to back grand finals prior to last year in Premier C. One shock defeat to NOBS this season and a one-goal loss to PEGS away with no Bannisters or J Egglestone. Team to beat. Play SM, PEGS and OM at home in run home.

OGs don't make grand finals. Would need to finish top two and win the qualifying. St Mary's lost one two years ago and made finals last year. Both will be there abouts.

Flip a coin between OMs and PEGS. Think OMs current lead on top of the ladder and handy percentage means they'll finish above PEGS, but even if they finished top two, they won't be beating Therry in a double-chance final.

OGGS too good today for us and deserved winners in a clutch game. No excuses just outplayed by a better team on the day! The 3 for $10 Furphys is a winner though and the hospitality first class. A missed chance for us to be really in the mix tonight, but lots of improvement from today an opportunity.

Huge game next week v PA who were well in it for most of the game when we played them last time. It's now 'must win time' each game for the Hoes if we want to reach finals.

#notdoneyet

Chump

I laugh at a lot of this.
When push comes to shove though, teams that have played finals deserve a lot more credit.

Therry played in back to back grand finals prior to last year in Premier C. One shock defeat to NOBS this season and a one-goal loss to PEGS away with no Bannisters or J Egglestone. Team to beat. Play SM, PEGS and OM at home in run home.

OGs don't make grand finals. Would need to finish top two and win the qualifying. St Mary's lost one two years ago and made finals last year. Both will be there abouts.

Flip a coin between OMs and PEGS. Think OMs current lead on top of the ladder and handy percentage means they'll finish above PEGS, but even if they finished top two, they won't be beating Therry in a double-chance final.

St Mary's were pretty ordinary today at Friar Park.

Maybe it's a blip, maybe they don't like playing us second time around (same thing happened last year). I still don't rate them as highly as PEGS, Therry, or OGGs but accept that different teams match up better/worse on some than others.

The night feels better with 4 points under the belt....

St Mary's were pretty ordinary today at Friar Park.

Maybe it's a blip, maybe they don't like playing us second time around (same thing happened last year). I still don't rate them as highly as PEGS, Therry, or OGGs but accept that different teams match up better/worse on some than others.

The night feels better with 4 points under the belt....
Saw Mentone today. If they have players to come back they'll win but if today is an indication then for the top 6 it's throw the cards in the air and anyone can win depending on availability and attitude. No standouts any more in this comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back