List Mgmt. 2016 National Draft - Rookie Draft Monday 28th

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say a cross between Gunston up forward (not style but position and effect) and Bartel as a midfielder - strong, good size, good endurance, not explosively athletic but very clean with his hands, good overhead and good mix of inside and outside, sniffs out a goal with a powerdul leg
I like it. I just hope we go with some safe options this year i think we have covered most areas on the ground i also would love another great rookie draft.

Think Knightmare has Drew at 10 after our performing McLuggage during the TAC finals
1 game..? :p Know who I would absolutely snap up but unlikely to get the chance.

Bowes is going to eat 1 of those top 10 picks, there are a few who would improve the list in the future. Alphabetically on who may go in the top 10 - Ainsworth (gone off him, Ben..?), Brodie, Drew (possible top 10 but Knightmare also had Scheer in roughly the same possie last month), McGrath, Scrimshaw, Taranto.

It's extremely tough to predict when there are so many close in visible ability, 'spose it depends on who is available (and rated by the recruiters) at the right time, no different to any other year.

Sorta wish we had some of those 20's picks but I'm an amateur. :)

Taranto won't last till 8 most believe

Yeah it's doubtful but that's my wet dream. I like Brodie and even Ainsworth at 4 if available ahead of Taranto. Gotta get Jack so that's 6. Just hoping there are some late bolters or fallers. Didn't Curnow get a DUI before the draft last year? Not that I'm wishing that on anyone. For the record if we take Taranto at 4 and Brodie and Ainsworth are available, I'm fine with it. I rate him highly. He's too good to bitch about.

Say Bowes get's bid on at 3 we then match that with pick 4. Would that then bump our pick back into the 50s or so allowing us to pay for Scheer with that pick and 73 or do i have no idea about how the draft works?

if bid on pick 2 give us pick 72
if bid on pick 3 give us pick 52
if bid on pick 5 give us pick 52
if bid on pick 7 give us pick 53
if bid on pick 9 give us pick 54

1 game..? :p Know who I would absolutely snap up but unlikely to get the chance.

Bowes is going to eat 1 of those top 10 picks, there are a few who would improve the list in the future. Alphabetically on who may go in the top 10 - Ainsworth (gone off him, Ben..?), Brodie, Drew (possible top 10 but Knightmare also had Scheer in roughly the same possie last month), McGrath, Scrimshaw, Taranto.

It's extremely tough to predict when there are so many close in visible ability, 'spose it depends on who is available (and rated by the recruiters) at the right time, no different to any other year.

Sorta wish we had some of those 20's picks but I'm an amateur. :)

Got nothing against Ainsworth
Just think Taranto is a better fit if we get to use pick 4
Good size to swing between half forward and midfield.

Hearing the Lions are very keen on Ainsworth @ 3
If Ainsworth was available at 6 and Taranto was gone. I'd be fine with It :D

Not sure if it's been posted already...Draft Combine show. Second half runs through prospective picks for each club (prior to trade period). Good run down of all the players we're looking at in the top ten. In Jack Bowes we already have our Rolls Royce :) now just need a Lamborghini (SPS?), and Mad Max Interceptor (Taranto or Brodie?) to fill the garage. Really hoping we get a free hit with Jack sliding past 6.

The midfield is a gaping hole especially for depth - specifically inside players (Scheer helps in the future) and mids with inside and outside games (Bowes and Fiorini for the future) - all these types of mids in the draft like Drew, Clarke, Galluci, SPP would be a reach

A Jack Gunston / ROK third forward type that can get out on the lead and be the link between mids and fwds (we went after Howe & Everitt last year and ended up with Jarrad Grant > Taranto would be a major upgrade and Hayward would be a reach but has some special attributes)

A lock down back pocket (e.g. Nick Smith) > not going to find that in the top 10 unless you get McGrath

A bona-fide gun small forward who applies manic forward pressure (e.g. Tom Papley) > Matera not up to it, Garlett still needs to prove he's up to it and Ah Chee is more a HFF / Wing type player as opposed to a goal sneak > Give McPherson a crack - great with forward pressure not sure on the goal sense,

With Schade going we have 3 key backs and Day who could swing back - probably would like a good young back to develop (e.g. Logue)

An A grade ruck > would rather get Crossley on the cheap next year rather than pay overs for English this year. Surely after 2017 1 of Nicholls, Witts or Currie would need to go

Nailed it!

Although to add, on top of potentially another key defender, a 3rd tall to play on the mid-sized guys would be nice, to release Mckenzie a bit more.
In my dreams Leslie has a break out year and grabs a spot in the team with him and Thompson holding down the posts and Maysie playing the third tall role, allowing him to intercept and attack a bit more, while also breaking off his man and going third man up in contests and helping the 2 keys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope we bid on Setterfield at 4 or 6. Tall midfielder and is a Sandringham player which would link up nicely with Taranto or Scrimshaw. Only issue being there's no way in hell GWS don't match a bid for him.

If Brisbane bid on Jack Bowes at pick 3, 2234 points minus 20% discount = 1787 points. Gold Coast match with pick 4, 2034 points minus the 1627 points = 247 points left over.

Bids made in the first round that have points left over, the points are just held over to be used for the next bid, rather than upgrading to a later pick.

So if Brisbane do bid on Jack Bowes, that will give you 247 points to take off the bid on Scheer, and lessen the deficit you carry over to the 2017 draft. If the bid for Scheer comes in the first round, then the points deficit has to come off GC's highest 2017 first round draft pick, moving it back to where it's new points value slots it in the draft order.

If the bid for Scheer comes in the second round, then the points deficit comes off GC's highest 2017 second round pick.

So would you rather Brisbane bid on Bowes and you miss out on drafting Brodie at 4? or would you prefer Carlton to bid on Bowes at 5, and have less points to match a bid on Scheer and carry a larger deficit in to the 2017 draft, betting that no team will bid on Scheer in the first round.

Last edited:
If Brisbane bid on Jack Bowes at pick 3, 2234 points minus 20% discount = 1787 points. Gold Coast match with pick 4, 2034 points minus the 1627 points = 247 points left over.

Bids made in the first round that have points left over, the points are just held over to be used for the next bid, rather than upgrading to a later pick.

So if Brisbane do bid on Jack Bowes, that will give you 247 points to take off the bid on Scheer, and lessen the deficit you carry over to the 2017 draft. If the bid for Scheer comes in the first round, then the points deficit has to come off GC's highest 2017 first round draft pick, moving it back to where it's new points value slots it in the draft order.

If the bid for Scheer comes in the second round, then the points deficit comes off GC's highest 2017 second round pick.

So would you rather Brisbane bid on Bowes and you miss out on drafting Brodie at 4? or would you prefer Carlton to bid on Bowes at 5, and have less points to match a bid on Scheer and carry a larger deficit in to the 2017 draft, betting that no team will bid on Scheer in the first round.
Definitely hoping Brisbane don't bid, Carlton don't bid, Freo forget to bid, Sydney couldn't be bothered bidding, and we get Jack at 10.

QUOTE="TheSunGod, post: 47534405, member: 103962"]Definitely hoping Brisbane don't bid, Carlton don't bid, Freo forget to bid, Sydney couldn't be bothered bidding, and we get Jack at 10.[/QUOTE]
You mean pick 73 : )

QUOTE="TheSunGod, post: 47534405, member: 103962"]Definitely hoping Brisbane don't bid, Carlton don't bid, Freo forget to bid, Sydney couldn't be bothered bidding, and we get Jack at 10.
You mean pick 73 : )[/QUOTE]
Only if we free up an extra list spot for Scheer as well and get him at 98 :)

My ultimate wet-dream scenario..

ESS 1 McLuggage
GWS 2 McGrath
BRIS 3 Ainsworth
GCS 4 Brodie
CAR 5 Something dumb like Marshall
GCS 6 Taranto
FRE 7 English
GCS 8 SPS
SYD 9 Logue
GCS 10 Scrimshaw
GCS 73 Bowes (Matched Bid)
GCS 98 Scheer (Matched Bid)

Schade - contract paid out and delisted
Malceski - contract paid out and retired

Last edited:
Number of picks will depend on available list spots won't it?
This is an interesting point.. if we manufacture 5 list spots and Bowes doesn't get a bid in the first 9 picks.. do we then have to take Bowes at 10 or miss out on Scheer because we only have 5 spots... I don't pretend to be an expert but I looked it up and there are 3 separate dfa periods, the third of which is the day after the draft. I'm assuming if a miracle happens and we get 4 top 10's and Bowes and Scheer, we can draft them all and delist some unlucky barsta"d the next day..

Thanks for the insight, at least theres some upside to you guys bidding with 3.. do you think you will take brodie or ainsworth with your first pick?

I know that we do want Bowes to slip a bit, but it hurts us to NOT have Bowes bid on in the top ten. We'd end up going into deficit with pick 73, from our first round points next year.

Having four top-ten picks this year, and only one next year (in a strong draft)... it makes sense to stump up and pay for Bowes this year.

Slip a bit Jack, but just down to pick 9. Ok, thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back