2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hanley's manager suggesting another of his clients, Hibberd is worth pick 26

MELBOURNE should secure defender Michael Hibberd for a second-round pick after paying “overs” for Jake Melksham last year, according to their manager, Paul Connors. Connors suggested Melbourne paid a high price for Melksham last year – pick No. 25 – and that Melbourne’s second round pick in this year’s draft – currently No. 26 – should be sufficient compensation for Essendon.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/a184bdae770ee36c09b27be8a7a62043

I really dislike managers publicly weighing in on the value of players at the trade table. That's for the clubs to decide.

Yep, couldn't agree more...but he has given what he believes his players worth ...it's sure to have a flow on effect..

The thing is he's focused on getting Hibberd to Melbourne. So he's building public pressure on the clubs to complete the trade. With Hanley he knows it'll have to be a high pick to get him away from Brisbane but his main focus would be getting him good offers from other clubs.

So I guess one of the key questions for trade period is do we bring in a ruckman now?

Or do we just upgrade Arch and go into 2017 with Stef, Archie and Eagles?

So I guess one of the key questions for trade period is do we bring in a ruckman now?

If one came really cheap mayb just to apply depth in that area .

I'd be happy with Archie as a backup. No idea about Eagles as third in line but I wouldn't mind another probably through the rookie draft.

I am inclined to leave it at that for a year with the knowledge that Walker can be our fourth ruckman if we need that much insurance. Ruckmen are like extended warranties. You need the basic cover but after that you can have too much and just costs money for little return.

Let's see how Archie and Eagles develop and then make a call next year.

The thing is he's focused on getting Hibberd to Melbourne. So he's building public pressure on the clubs to complete the trade. With Hanley he knows it'll have to be a high pick to get him away from Brisbane but his main focus would be getting him good offers from other clubs.

The only thing Connors will be interested is is his management increase % on a substantial new deal...Dangerous precedent to say, said player from your stable is worth this pick.. it speculates that Hanley's worth is only a couple of picks earlier.

Last edited:
If we get dealt a PP, we may still have an issue with amount of list spots. Don't be surprised to see Claye Beams or a similar type delisted and re-rookied to give us extra space on the main list.

I am inclined to leave it at that for a year with the knowledge that Walker can be our fourth ruckman if we need that much insurance. Ruckmen are like extended warranties. You need the basic cover but after that you can have too much and just costs money for little return.

Let's see how Archie and Eagles develop and then make a call next year.
In a way I agree with this, but would still like to see a Vardy come in (though I doubt we could land him). Walker as a mobile ruck would be an option or Close who has the tank to do it. Interesting to see where Walker plays next year, I think Close will take the fwd spot from him, but I think Walker is good enough to be in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get dealt a PP, we may still have an issue with amount of list spots. Don't be surprised to see Claye Beams or a similar type delisted and re-rookied to give us extra space on the main list.
Claye Beams still has another year to go until he comes out of contract. How can we delist someone who is still contracted?

3 rucks is enough for mine. Mature defenders and young mids are a much greater need. Blokes like Walker, Close and even Freeman can fill in here and there if we had a horrific run of injuries to all three.

On Walker, I guess it depends on who we bring in as a KPD, but he may start the season forward and end up back to cover injuries. Could also depend on theform of McStay and were the new coach wants to develop him. In my slighty delusional spreadsheets for next year I have Walker starting round one at FF, but penciled in to move to CHB if we have two or more of Gardiner, McStay, Andrews or Frost/Dunn injured.

Id be hoping we're still chasing a ruck. I wouldn't be relying on a category b rookie off a tv show as the third in line. The bloke has played a couple of VFL games. The highest level he's played in qld is effectively div 3.

Agree with this 100%. If Stef goes down in round 1 we can't rely on Archie & Eagles to ruck all year.

I would have thought the Eagles experiment is relatively low risk for potentially high reward. The TV thing is a bit of a distraction really. The fact that he can step up from the local league to VFL level is a tick and may indicate that with a proper pre-season behind him there is more improvement to be had. If not, it's not as if we have lost a great deal. The risk is worth it for mine - Big bodied ruckmen don't grow on trees. And the media coverage can't do any harm.

Id be hoping we're still chasing a ruck. I wouldn't be relying on a category b rookie off a tv show as the third in line. The bloke has played a couple of VFL games. The highest level he's played in qld is effectively div 3.

Played most the season VFL for North Ballarat (13 matches) and by these stats went well. I was also doubtful about the Yeronga form but his time at North Ballarat looks good.
http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info.cgi?pID=201895974

3 rucks is enough for mine. Mature defenders and young mids are a much greater need. Blokes like Walker, Close and even Freeman can fill in here and there if we had a horrific run of injuries to all three.

On Walker, I guess it depends on who we bring in as a KPD, but he may start the season forward and end up back to cover injuries. Could also depend on theform of McStay and were the new coach wants to develop him. In my slighty delusional spreadsheets for next year I have Walker starting round one at FF, but penciled in to move to CHB if we have two or more of Gardiner, McStay, Andrews or Frost/Dunn injured.
Freeman is the one who might have to be turned into a back up ruckman. He is behind a few now in the forward line. Just not sure if he has the tank to do it.

Claye Beams still has another year to go until he comes out of contract. How can we delist someone who is still contracted?
You can delist anyone you want but their salary is still gonna count under the salary cap. Like we will see with buddy in a few years if his body & form cant live up to his 9year contract.

I'm not against giving him a shot as a rookie for a year, it's a free swing. I'm saying given his lack of exposure at senior level, it's a big risk to carry him as a 3rd ruck option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back