2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst place he could end up. Those pricks are already smug enough.
I'm going Carlton or Hawthorn. Even though Carlton have been fairly rubbish for a while now,I feel like they'd still attractive to players as one of those traditional "big" Victorian clubs. He fits their age profile too. I'd imagine they'd have a decent amount of space in the cap. Hawthorn would be the favourites though if they are keen. They're still a great club and they are so good at shifting older players out to fit in new trades.

Brett Anderson saying on SEN that Steven Motlop is on the way out of geelong. type of player we need, might be worth a look.
Was keen on him last year when he was OOC and rumoured to be keen to a move to the Lions as a really good friend of Bundy's. If the opportunity arose this season I'd be welcome to add him particularly if we lose someone like Rockliff as how could a side like ours say no to a quality player entering their prime? Does he have some issues with fitness and professionalism though? If so perhaps we should steer clear, however, Tom Bell is supposedly elite when it comes to fitness and professionalism and yet who performs better out on the field? Motlop.

He might rub some up the wrong way,but the guy is a genuine match winner. Worth the risk if he didn't cost the earth. Need more speed and goal kicking mids.
Apart from when they played us, he has been very ordinary this year.

If Motlop wanted to leave Geelong he would of done it last year when he was out of contract, but he resigned with Geelong. Not many players leave their club after just resigning with the club.

If Motlop wanted to leave Geelong he would of done it last year when he was out of contract, but he resigned with Geelong. Not many players leave their club after just resigning with the club.
True, but maybe he thought a contract would help him out... Who knows. I'd take the risk as a genuine match winner and from a good system plus speed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need our senior players. I rather we trade Gardiner + 2017 second round pick.

I would love to keep Gardiner, but he offers little offensively. He struggles to play on tall key forwards so he plays as that 3rd tall down back. If you look at the good teams, guys like Rampe, Brodie Smith, Enright, Mackie, Wood and Birchall can play as that 3rd tall and also offer run.

Last edited:
True, but maybe he thought a contract would help him out... Who knows. I'd take the risk as a genuine match winner and from a good system plus speed
I would be happy if we got Motlop, but the source of news is SEN. So i'm not getting my hopes high.

Yeah not that keen.

Inconsistent downhill skier who drops his head. He's brilliant when he's on but he's not the type that will help us dig our way out of this hole. Would still be in our top 8-10 players though but I wouldn't want to give up a great deal for him that statement is more an indictment on our list than it is praise for him.

If going in to bat for a really good guy and journo who is far more considered than the average bear before writing contentious opinions makes me "soft" than put it on a badge for me to wear.

The guy nearly took his own life earlier in the year, so maybe some more measured critique than "deadshit" might be warranted.

I should've know better than to use that type of word.
Feel like a real deadshit now.

Motlop would become very lazy very quickly at the Lions. He would see us as a retirement home. You would have to put a tight leash on him. Remember he came back to Geelong pre season training way over weight. Bundy hardly turned up fit either when he got to Brissy.

Hard to take his in your face berating of team mates on field seriously when he's playing so shyte himself. It used to be the case that you'd say to yourself "Oh good Hanley's got the pill,he'll hit a target or get us moving". Now it's almost cover your eyes stuff as he darts around aimlessly, regularly getting caught holding the ball.
He can berate all he wants, not like his teammates would have any idea what he's prattling on about?

Was keen on him last year when he was OOC and rumoured to be keen to a move to the Lions as a really good friend of Bundy's. If the opportunity arose this season I'd be welcome to add him particularly if we lose someone like Rockliff as how could a side like ours say no to a quality player entering their prime? Does he have some issues with fitness and professionalism though? If so perhaps we should steer clear, however, Tom Bell is supposedly elite when it comes to fitness and professionalism and yet who performs better out on the field? Motlop.
Wowzers. Ive seen some ridiculous player comparisons in my time. But this takes the cake. Bell has less talent then motlops bootlace. But has elite endurance and some grunt. Motlop has football nous and some speed. 2 completely different players altogether.

He was amongst our best in the first half dozen games.

He has fallen away badly. I don't know what the reasons for that are. I suspect they are both physical and mental, but I do know that turning him into the whipping boy for fan frustrations won't help in either case.

He is a leader of the club. Sometimes it means taking a player under your wing, sometimes it means putting a rocket up others.
By many accounts we have seen Hanley do both with respect to Cutler.
Interestingly if you are a leader you are a leader, you don't get the luxury of saying 'i'm struggling at the moment so I won't bother with that side of things' you've still got to lead as best you can and even if you know it sounds hollow, even if you know that you aren't performing to a level that you are happy with you can (indeed must) continue to demand better from your teammates. Theres not leadership role that allows one to say 'guys just ignore me until I sort this out.'

nb-I imagine if I was a professional athlete, getting tweets and posts from nobodies who only ever cross the boundary line after the second siren telling me that I didn't care enough or wasn't working hard enough, would likely leave me less than gruntled too.
Maybe not having his brother on the park, he's sharing in that frustration?

First quarter, with 7:55 left on the clock. Directly after Basti sprayed the ball out of bounds, and just before Robbo cleaned up Jelwood with a rib tickler.
Robbo folded him like a piece of A4. That and the apprentice giving it right back to the Master were my favourite moments of last weeks game and both involved Jelwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back