Strategy 2017 || Let's construct our best 22 || Part 4: Interchange (and emergencies)

Our best four to make up the interchange?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like the final team we have is going to be imbalanced -in particular the midfield.
People playing favourites rather than actually thinking structure wise

Next off season maybe, you'd need to start it in October
But that eats into valuable trade period discussion! All attention needs to be on silly season

People playing favourites rather than actually thinking structure wise

Exactly. I think there are a few things that really stand out to me:

1: Tyson ain't a winger. There seems to be this desire for him to become an outside player. He's not. He's very much a ball-winner with good hands and likes to tackle, but he's not hugely quick and not overly outside. I think he is seen as being a better kick than what he actually is because he is left-footed.

2: Oliver has awesome potential and looks clean. But he's second year player. He's not going to be in the centre-square straight up over Tyson, Jones, Viney, or Vince which brings me to point 3

3: Bernie is being criminally underrated here. He had a disappointing second half of the season for sure because he was played out of position. He can win games, he can kick in long, he is a goal-kicking midfielder, or at absolute worst a solid half-forward. He's a big game player too. He has 11 Brownlow votes in his last 4 games v Collingwood. Some people don't even have him on the bench. Whaaaaat!

4: That midfield looks slow. We lose the clearance we're in trouble of being swept off our feet, or if we can't lock it into our forward line (which based on the defensive efforts of the past is likely) the rebound could kill us.

Exactly. I think there are a few things that really stand out to me:

1: Tyson ain't a winger. There seems to be this desire for him to become an outside player. He's not. He's very much a ball-winner with good hands and likes to tackle, but he's not hugely quick and not overly outside. I think he is seen as being a better kick than what he actually is because he is left-footed.

2: Oliver has awesome potential and looks clean. But he's second year player. He's not going to be in the centre-square straight up over Tyson, Jones, Viney, or Vince which brings me to point 3

3: Bernie is being criminally underrated here. He had a disappointing second half of the season for sure because he was played out of position. He can win games, he can kick in long, he is a goal-kicking midfielder, or at absolute worst a solid half-forward. He's a big game player too. He has 11 Brownlow votes in his last 4 games v Collingwood. Some people don't even have him on the bench. Whaaaaat!

4: That midfield looks slow. We lose the clearance we're in trouble of being swept off our feet, or if we can't lock it into our forward line (which based on the defensive efforts of the past is likely) the rebound could kill us.

Great post!

I've now altered mine to include Harmes and BenKen so we still have a deadlock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Trengove has a big practice match this week I'll be changing my vote to include him. I was not overly enamored of vandenBerg's game last week.

Didn't find time for him in the side either when i follow this process - interesting

Oh, yeah. So this is done. Thanks everybody for participating! :footy:

Final team:

FB || Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Tom McDonald
HB || Jayden Hunt | Sam Frost | Michael Hibberd
C || Jordan Lewis | Clayton Oliver | Dom Tyson
HF || Christian Petracca | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
FF || Jeff Garlett | Cam Pedersen | Jack Watts
R || Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
INT || Angus Brayshaw | Christian Salem | Billy Stretch | Bernie Vince

E || Jake Melksham | Aaron vandenBerg | Tomas Bugg

With not a Nick Smith in sight.

Pretty handy seconds team..

FB: Melksham, Keilty, White
HB: Wagner, Garland, Joel Smith
C: Bugg ANB Harmes
HF: JKH, Hulett Hannan
FF: Tim Smith, Weideman, VDB
Fol: Spencer BenKen Trengrove
Int: Dion Johnstone, Mckenna, Filopovic, Maynard

Oh, yeah. So this is done. Thanks everybody for participating! :footy:

Final team:

FB || Neville Jetta | Oscar McDonald | Tom McDonald
HB || Jayden Hunt | Sam Frost | Michael Hibberd
C || Jordan Lewis | Clayton Oliver | Dom Tyson
HF || Christian Petracca | Jesse Hogan | Dean Kent
FF || Jeff Garlett | Cam Pedersen | Jack Watts
R || Max Gawn | Nathan Jones | Jack Viney
INT || Angus Brayshaw | Christian Salem | Billy Stretch | Bernie Vince

E || Jake Melksham | Aaron vandenBerg | Tomas Bugg

With not a Nick Smith in sight.
So what happens now? Do you take this list to Goodwin?

Back