2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, that's not right, go back and have a read

Most were happy with either Oliver or Parish, but with about a week to go Oliver's name kept on coming up and most of us were comfortable with iy

Good bump.

Reading that, heres what i posted before that draft.

"Who we would have drafted under Bailey:

Weedy-man
Perish
Malaria

Who we would have drafted under Neeld:

Re-draft Ro Bail

Who we should draft under Roos:

Oliver
Curnow"

-- note, the spelling of 'Perish' was intentional as i thought he was a weedy pissant who would break under presssure and i still do.

Good bump.

Weedy-man
Perish
Malaria

Re-draft Ro Bail

Oliver
Curnow"

-- note, the spelling of 'Perish' was intentional as i thought he was a weedy pissant who would break under presssure and i still do.

pissant or thumb, either would have worked

We had close to the worst forward line in the comp in 2018. The whole FD know their jobs are on the line if we don’t see dramatic improvement in this area, as we simply won’t win games if footy if we see a repeat performance of what we dished up this season in front of the big sticks.

Im hoping for another year like 2018 when we were a high scoring team!

2019 was horrible but so were many parts of our game.

Preferably, we need outside pace & blokes that can kick it well & can hit targets/score goals

History says you don’t take rucks in the top 10 picks & history also says you don’t take small (tiny) forwards in the 1st rnd.

There can always be exceptions to the rule but it is an enormous gamble to do one of these, let alone both in the one draft.

Im happy to be proven wrong but doing both, is too big a risk when we’ve gone from a so called contender to embarrassing pretender in the same season.

Bid on Green at 3 for mine.
If they don’t match we get a bloke that will be at worst, a solid league player.
Don’t want us to take Jackson & would much prefer Young, Ash, Flanders.

At 10, if Serong is still there they have to take him over Weightman or Pickett surely? He offers the pressure fwd but also midfielder too. I’d prefer Stephens, Kemp too.

There is a big chance we could get Taylor at 28, but if we already had Serong it wouldn’t be as important

That is all...
From what I’ve heard Taylor would have to be one of the talented forwards in the draft. However probably the only player I’ve heard mention of go home factor. Can’t remember which podcast. But was mentioned about convincing him to come over.

Have you watched him play??

He will not be on an AFL list beyond 2021.

I like Spargo but he does not have the talent or physical attributes to make it at AFL level.

Too small. Too slow. Can't kick.

He has good physicality and attack on the ball for his size, but that does not overcome his deficiencies.
He was good as an 18 year old struggled this year as a 19 years old but he had a lot of mates in that regard, time will tell but it’s to early to consign him to the bin just yet

What have you seen from him that makes you think he is worth persisting with?
He played 18 very competent games as an 18 year old including finals but did regress this year, I’m not trying to convince you he’s Brent Harvey Mark 2 but in my opinion way to early to give up on

Nah, that's not right, go back and have a read

Most were happy with either Oliver or Parish, but with about a week to go Oliver's name kept on coming up and most of us were comfortable with iy
according to that thread most were with Wagners speed and outside class lol

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

I waa comparing physical attributes and skill level. Not play style.

Weightman is a reach before pick 20.

Would rather punt on Pickett at 10. He has natural ability notwithstanding his poor work ethic. He is a lazy pea heart.
You cleary have no idea. Weightman isnt a poorly skilled Spargo type. He is a dominant forward who is unstoppable when he is on top of his game. He attacks the ball with aggression on the ground and in the air and his size (4cms taller tham Spargo) doesnt stop him from owning the forward 50. Lead the goal kicking in the under 18 champs.

Will likely end up at Carlton with their first pick anyway so we can watch him star for them.

You cleary have no idea. Weightman isnt a poorly skilled Spargo type. He is a dominant forward who is unstoppable when he is on top of his game. He attacks the ball with aggression on the ground and in the air and his size (4cms taller tham Spargo) doesnt stop him from owning the forward 50. Lead the goal kicking in the under 18 champs.

Will likely end up at Carlton with their first pick anyway so we can watch him star for them.

Spargo was also viewed as a "can't miss" top 10 prospect at a 17 year old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has that got to do with Weightman?

Scouts and "experts" constantly get it wrong when making projections for undersized prospects.

Some of the things said about Weightman were also said about a junior Spargo. They always look good playing against other kids.

I don't think Weightman will amount to anything at AFL level.

Scouts and "experts" constantly get it wrong when making projections for undersized prospects.

Some of the things said about Weightman were also said about a junior Spargo. They always look good playing against other kids.

You do realise weightman is nearly 2 inches taller than spargo?

He is the exact same height as Jamie Elliott, Michael Walters and Tom Papley,

You know who else gets it wrong? ******* idiots on the internet who barely watch these players yet think their opinion means s**t. You wanna show us where anybody said Spargo was i high flying Forward capable of kicking a bag? You wont be able to cause no campaigner said that.

Good bump.

Weedy-man
Perish
Malaria

Re-draft Ro Bail

Oliver
Curnow"

Nope you also said you would be 'over the moon' with Parish.

Evidence is right there in the thread.

Yeah I thought you guys might cough up 14 and 24 for our 10 and 28 if anything.
Moving down from 10 to 14 just so we can move up from 28 to 24 would be the worst pick swapping in the history of the draft. We'd only package pick 10 for 2 late first round picks. And only if we believe we can still get Pickett. It's a risk, but one that might just snare us a 'free crack' at a kid around the end of 1st round or start of the 2nd.

We could end up with pick 3, 14, 17 and 28 which would be a very decent haul. This could see us land Jackson, Pickett, Bianco and maybe an Elijah Taylor. This would be a fantastic result. But it will come down to who's still available on the night at pick 10. If Kemp is still there, i reckon the cats will deal.

Last edited:
Have you watched him play??

He will not be on an AFL list beyond 2021.

I like Spargo but he does not have the talent or physical attributes to make it at AFL level.

Too small. Too slow. Can't kick.

He has good physicality and attack on the ball for his size, but that does not overcome his deficiencies.
I disagree that Spargo can't kick. He might not be a long kick, however i feel he is one of our most creative kicks in the team. He has good vision and is more willing to pull that short kick(maybe because he's not a long kick) and spot up players creating space.

Moving down from 10 to 14 just so we can move up from 28 to 24 would be the worst pick swapping in the history of the draft. We'd only package pick 10 for 2 late first round picks. And only if we believe we can still get Pickett. It's a risk, but one that might just snare us a 'free crack' at a kid around the end of 1st round or start of the 2nd.

We could end up with pick 3, 14, 17 and 28 which would be a very decent haul. This could see us land Jackson, Pickett, Bianco and maybe an Elijah Taylor. This would be a fantastic result. But it will come down to who's still available on the night at pick 10. If Kemp is still there, i reckon the cats will deal.
Yeah that's why I would never apply for the job, I like your suggested trade way much better, not up to date with Bianco but there was some concern from panelists if Elijah Taylor could adapt to the rigours of AFL. Anyway 3 more sleeps and it's done.

Hang on. I thought you said you doubt Geelong would trade 14 and 17 for 10 and 28 when I suggested it and now you have them trading them for 10 alone? Am I missing something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back