Training 2019 Giants Preseason

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Personally next JLT Lids should be managed next game and keep another draftee in !
f
agree i think Flynn aswell off the bench

With the game on Friday can see another 1-2 be rested as per fridgeman ;)

Not sure if it was Leon or Cameron said Deledio will play 3/4 of fridays JLT and I think it depends on who needs the run and who needs a rest after pre season

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Would like to see a couple of experienced bodies rested after seeing they are still killing it in JLT1 and AFLX. Want to see O'Hallaran come out for half a match if his body is fit too. Presumably Hill is still building his body so probably better to see him come through the NEAFL gradually instead as tempting as it is to see him weave his magic.

Out: Coniglio, Whitfield, Taylor, Shaw, Reid
In: Hopper, Kelly, Corr, Greene, O' Hallaran

FB: Finlayson Davis Buntine
HB: Kennedy Corr Perryman
C: Cumming Ward Hately
HF: MDB Cameron Daniels
FF: Greene HH Lloyd
Foll: Simpson Taranto Kelly

INT (8 spots): Flynn, Hopper, Williams, Bonar, Keefe, Caldwell, Deledio (to come on after 1/4 time), O'Hallaran (to come on after 1/2 time)

Notes:
- We already saw Coniglio at his devastating best and I think having played both AFLX and JLT1, he is already primed to go in Round 1. Same goes for Whitfield.
- Feel like Taylor has already proven himself with his practice match and JLT1 performance, would like to see how Corr (if fit) is holding up taking Taylor's spot. If either Haynes or Corr has any niggles come round 1, Taylor is ready to go.
- Shaw proved his PCL issue isnt bothering him, resuming his role in defence. Took solid marks, directed traffic and chased well. Think we can manage him and get him ready for round 1 whilst giving the younger kids a go.
- Reid played his role yesterday and I thought actually played well, however would like to see someone like O'Hallaran given a chance to see what he can do at the AFL standard.

By round 1, hoping the team will look something like this
FB: Shaw Davis Haynes/Taylor
HB: Kennedy Corr Williams
C: Whitfield Ward Tomlinson
HF: Taranto Cameron MDB
Foll: Simpson Kelly Coniglio
INT: Hopper Deledio Perryman Daniels/Caldwell/Hately/Cumming/Bonar

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Would like to see a couple of experienced bodies rested after seeing they are still killing it in JLT1 and AFLX. Want to see O'Hallaran come out for half a match if his body is fit too. Presumably Hill is still building his body so probably better to see him come through the NEAFL gradually instead as tempting as it is to see him weave his magic.

Out: Coniglio, Whitfield, Taylor, Shaw, Reid
In: Hopper, Kelly, Corr, Greene, O' Hallaran

FB: Finlayson Davis Buntine
HB: Kennedy Corr Perryman
C: Cumming Ward Hately
HF: MDB Cameron Daniels
Foll: Simpson Taranto Kelly

INT (8 spots): Flynn, Hopper, Williams, Bonar, Keefe, Caldwell, Deledio (to come on after 1/4 time or 1/2 time), O'Hallaran (to come on after 1/2 time)

Notes:
- We already saw Coniglio at his devastating best and I think having played both AFLX and JLT1, he is already primed to go in Round 1. Same goes for Whitfield.
- Feel like Taylor has already proven himself with his practice match and JLT1 performance, would like to see how Corr (if fit) is holding up taking Taylor's spot. If either Haynes or Corr has any niggles come round 1, Taylor is ready to go.
- Shaw proved his PCL issue isnt bothering him, resuming his role in defence. Took solid marks, directed traffic and chased well. Think we can manage him and get him ready for round 1 whilst giving the younger kids a go.
- Reid played his role yesterday and I thought actually played well, however would like to see someone like O'Hallaran given a chance to see what he can do at the AFL standard.

By round 1, hoping the team will look something like this
FB: Shaw Davis Haynes/Taylor
HB: Kennedy Corr Williams
C: Whitfield Ward Tomlinson
HF: Taranto Cameron MDB
Foll: Simpson Kelly Coniglio
INT: Hopper Deledio Perryman Daniels/Caldwell/Hately/Cumming/Bonar

Not sure on the exact rules but in the past the second preseason game has been 6 on the bench
I cant see O'Halloran coming in, if he didnt play the first swans game he must be behind the others in preseason fitness of have some minor injury but I would hope he is in for the first NEAFL trial which is this thursday in Canberra
I think Reid is pretty close to rd 1 selection although just not sure where he would fit as his lack of speed is something the team needs from him and it could come down to him or Perryman as I see them in similar roles

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm actually intrigued as to how we will approach JLT2. I must admit I was a little surprised that we put in a few of our better players - especially those who played AFLX - such as Ward, Coniglio, Davis & Whitfield, when we could have gone more junior (e.g. Hopper, O'Halloran, Sproule, Stein) which would have been similar to Hawthorn's approach, and then rolled in a near-round 1 team in JLT2. Having played those experienced players in JLT1, therefore, do we play Cogs, Ward, Whitfield & Davis again in JLT2 to try to have a near-round 1 team, or swap them to look at some of the more junior players? Time will tell, but I'm probably in Teeso 's camp in thinking we should rest those who have nothing to prove. But I dont think that's how Leon would think.

Hopper for Cogs, Kelly for Whitfield, Corr (if fit) for Davis, Greene for Reid, Tommo for Finlayson. Id agree that O'Halloran, Hill, Sproule & Idun are unlikely to get a go in JLT2 having missed JLT1.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think we're overlooking Shipley a bit. Is it possible he'll apoear for JLT2 ?
The silence in Corr troubles me still. I thought about asking the club, but if they're saying nothing I figure there's probably a reason. Possibly his privacy. He was in the players group watching last night.

Nearly be worth going lver on Tuesday to see if he trains.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I dont think AFLX was very much exertion for most of the players with the amount of contact in the games but I agree that maybe some of those players listed will miss. IMO it depends on how much of the preseason players had and any injuries but I can see this fridays game being close to a rd 1 22 with maybe 1 player from each third of the field missing
Shipley was OK in the first Swans game but he didnt really stand out like Hopper and Taranto and I think he needs to work on his game in the reserves for most of the year, my feeling is that some of the younger players will need several games to get a look in as they work on their skills/fitness and feedback from the coaches as to what they need to work on to push for a best 22 spot
TOJ is another one who needs to make the most of this year, I thought he might be trialed on the wing but I think he was in defence for most of the game and he should be able to work his way into the season but he needs to improve his disposal
One name I am very surprised hasnt been seen is Sheridan who I thought would be inline for a rd spot but maybe he has had some niggles during the preseason but he should be able to come in and pay a role when required. It will be interesting to see if the club releases any news about the thursday reserves game

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, surprised that Shipley was missing from JLT1. As I said, intrigued at how we approach the team for JLT2. If we are looking for a near-round 1 team, though, realistically Shipley won't be there.
Well he was injured last year and probably needs to work is way back. fridgeman fridgempointed out he dud play the practice match. I expected him and Bonar to be pretty close.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well he was injured last year and probably needs to work is way back. fridgeman pointed out he did play the practice match. I expected him and Bonar to be pretty close.
Yes, my point was simply that I thought we might play rest those that played AFLX (albeit I agree it was a bit of fluff, but a run nevertheless) and play a junior squad in JLT1, then bring a full team for JLT2. We may play half and half - having omitted Kelly & Hopper for JLT1, we may include them for Ward & Cogs, and also swap the likes of Shipley for Hately or Bonar etc. I make no judgements, just trying to work out what our approach is this year.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, my point was simply that I thought we might play rest those that played AFLX (albeit I agree it was a bit of fluff, but a run nevertheless) and play a junior squad in JLT1, then bring a full team for JLT2. We may play half and half - having omitted Kelly & Hopper for JLT1, we may include them for Ward & Cogs, and also swap the likes of Shipley for Hately or Bonar etc. I make no judgements, just trying to work out what our approach is this year.
I dont think there's any reason to think it'll be different to any other year. Play as close to the round 1 team as possible and give them a hitout together. There might still be some unanswered questions though. They get a week off after next weeks game. Some like Daniels who seems to have had a lot of gametime, possibly to stake his claim, could presumably have his training load managed if necessary.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I’d like to see us go with:
Kennedy Davis Haynes/Taylor
Williams Keeffe Shaw
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Greene Cameron Taranto
De Boer HH Daniels
Simpson Ward Hopper
Lids Perryman Tomlinson Caldwell/Hately

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I’d like to see us go with:
Kennedy Davis Haynes/Taylor
Williams Keeffe Shaw
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Greene Cameron Taranto
De Boer HH Daniels
Simpson Ward Hopper
Lids Perryman Tomlinson Caldwell/Hately
Not bad, I wouldnt have Keefe there tho, I think three talls
Is enough for most teams

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Not bad, I wouldnt have Keefe there tho, I think three talls
Is enough for most teams
Probably just depends on who we play. Keeffe is pretty solid. For someone who is 6’8” he has a very good motor.
If we need to we could play Tomlinson permanently down back and open up another midfield spot... play Bonar or Hately.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hey lads,
interested to know what ruck combination you guys will start off with this year and also what the best ruck structure if everyone was healthy would be?
I'd say Dawson Simpson while Mummys suspended definitely. Flynn did not have a great game in JLT1, we'll have to wait and see how the coaches view it. If he plays JLT2 he's still a chance IMO. Looks like it could be some combination of Tomlinson and Himmelburg for support. Keefe has started the season well but hasn't worked as a ruck before, and mostly you'd think we'd be reluctant to rotate a KPD in the ruck.

My thoughts anyway.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
My thoughts, fwiw, is Simpson has earned top billing. 1 Simpson, 2 Mumford 3 Flynn etc.
One of them has to play, but only one. As said above, Tommo/ Keefe/ Patton the more versatile back-up.
I'm still open to Mummy. I really liked that he was jumping for the tap in the practice match. We'll see how he holds up though. My guess is he plays JLT2.

My thoughts, fwiw, is Simpson has earned top billing. 1 Simpson, 2 Mumford 3 Flynn etc.
One of them has to play, but only one. As said above, Tommo/ Keefe/ Patton the more versatile back-up.
My preference is for two ruckmen, and if that does happen Flynn is the man, the best kick at goal in the club

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I would be worried having just he one primary ruck option as I think most teams will have a decent chop out option and with the new 666 rule I can see that hurting us if we us a HH or a Tomlinson.

If there isn’t a spot for Flynn in the forward line I suppose we will need to play Keefe. Even though I see him as a depth player, the need for a decent contest in the middle (at least to break even) is pretty strong after watching week 1 of JLT

Back