2020 AFL International Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
2020 AFL International Cup is only one year away.
There are many examples of countries already forming their touring squads.
Is there any news of developments coming from Australia?
i would hope that something special is earmarked for next year's tournament.
The players put so much time, money and effort in coming here the least we can do is drum up a crowd.

I can't comment on recent shindigs but the 2008 Cup was an eye-opener for me. A little underwhelmed at the pool matches being at Royal Park, convenient having the two ovals next to each other but the facilities were somewhat low-rent for people who'd travelled halfway around the world (in my opinion). Having said that the atmosphere was great, it was a very friendly occasion, and having the privilege and honour of umpiring the GF at the MCG is one of the highlights of my life. Maybe one day I'll be in a position to be involved again.

I can't comment on recent shindigs but the 2008 Cup was an eye-opener for me. A little underwhelmed at the pool matches being at Royal Park, convenient having the two ovals next to each other but the facilities were somewhat low-rent for people who'd travelled halfway around the world (in my opinion).

Unfortunately nothing has changed. Actually it's worse with the upswing in women's football and increase in team numbers.
Royal Park has four ovals three of which three are used in parallel. The fourth is used as a warm up oval.

Having said that the atmosphere was great, it was a very friendly occasion,

Yes, they always are, but you can literally count the number of "neutral" spectators on one hand.
This is in complete contrast to country games that are well supported and a boost to the local clubs attendance.

having the privilege and honour of umpiring the GF at the MCG is one of the highlights of my life. Maybe one day I'll be in a position to be involved again.

That's great. If the AFL held IC GFs after an AFL game then there would be a huge crowd there.
i believe the AFL has shortened warmup times but curtain raisers are still simply not attended as rule.
I believe that the teams that have appeared in GFs would like a change.

The start of the GF was watched by the other teams and a handful of supporters. By the end of the game, despite it being an hour and a half before the AFL game, there were around 40,000 people there. I saw zero publicity for the IC. My experience in rugby, albeit a lifetime ago, was that the curtainraisers were always advertised alongside the main event. Look at any music gig poster on the street. It wouldn't have taken much to print "International Cup Grand Final 4:00pm" on the AFL finals tickets, either. How many might have been there for the whole game if they'd known?

Unfortunately nothing has changed. Actually it's worse with the upswing in women's football and increase in team numbers.
Royal Park has four ovals three of which three are used in parallel. The fourth is used as a warm up oval.

Yes, they always are, but you can literally count the number of "neutral" spectators on one hand.
This is in complete contrast to country games that are well supported and a boost to the local clubs attendance.

That's great. If the AFL held IC GFs after an AFL game then there would be a huge crowd there.
i believe the AFL has shortened warmup times but curtain raisers are still simply not attended as rule.
I believe that the teams that have appeared in GFs would like a change.
Your comments about the upswing in Womens Footy are correct which is my main International interest these days.
With countries like NZ preparing a Womens Squad for the first time and being located just over "The Ditch" the travel component will not be a huge issue.
However Countries like Croatia, Germany, France likely to possibly attempt Womens Teams to travel the costs are huge even if they get a group discount with the Mens teams who all attended IC2017.
I do not know the actual cost to get here but a figure of 100,000 Aussie Dollars per team from Europe was rumoured last time.
There is a big positive in this - Numbers rule generally and if more Womens teams travel and arrive this may force the AFL to adjust the facilities and venues - Note I said may.
The AFL IMHO has a split personality towards International Footy - On one hand they say "Organic Growth" is what we want but when they release their Annual Report they boast look the game overseas has now grown to x numbers - Isnt it great.

I do not know the actual cost to get here but a figure of 100,000 Aussie Dollars per team from Europe was rumoured last time.

Forget the rumours - simple maths says it must be around $5,000 per player with flights, accomodation, food and general expenses.

Numbers rule generally and if more Womens teams travel and arrive this may force the AFL to adjust the facilities and venues - Note I said may.

Well it's a year out and nothing announced. Construction would need to start now.
I'm not from Melbourne but it seems Princess Park and surrounds could be used.
The Junction Oval is close to many ovals with facilities.
You could event use Punt Road, Olympic park and Gosch's Paddock all within a short walk of each other.
A high profile oval could lead to better promotion.

Lets explore the approximate total costs of getting to Melbourne from Europe because the US and Canadian teams appear to be able on the surface raise the costs ok to get Mens and Womens teams to Melbourne.
I believe the AFL covers the costs from arrival in Melbourne.
The Cup is 18 a side for Men = 22 per team on the ground each match = Working on $5000 per person = $110,000 not including spare players and minimal staff.
The Cup is 16 a side for Women =20 per team " " = $100,000 "
That is a big sum of money for Mens and Womens teams to compete from Leagues running on the smelly of oily rags as we used to say in the good old days.
The local Clubs in Melbourne do chip in with their staff and general club things to assist these teams.
There just has to be assistance given that we publicly do not know about such as from AFL Europe and others, although self funding is the way they go.
The AFL has encouraged this culture of wait until they get here then we will assist, and its only International Footy and is not important.

The Junction is out, unfortunately, Cricket Australia got their claws into it and kicked the VAFA out a couple of years ago.

Well if Victoria were serious about improving the profile of the 2020 IC surely they could squeeze a two week football tournament
into the middle of the con-cricket season.

Junction Oval was the carrot to get Cricket Victoria out of the MCG earlier in the year. Crixket deserves a 12-month facility and the Junction Oval is fantastic for that.

I'm sure playing football games on weekends over two weeks in winter would have zero impact on cricket.
In fact it's a great opportunity for cricket to promote itself with an international event.
It also shows that if the Victorian government wants something done it can achieve it.
At the moment Victoria is only paying lip service to an international event.
I know that the WAFL would love to host this event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard two things swirling around ahead of the announcement.

1) The tournament might not be in Melbourne at all, and
2) There might be a qualification process for the "lower" teams

The first one I've heard from official sources, the second has been mostly scuttlebutt.

I've heard two things swirling around ahead of the announcement.

1) The tournament might not be in Melbourne at all, and
2) There might be a qualification process for the "lower" teams

The first one I've heard from official sources, the second has been mostly scuttlebutt.

1. Great. A return to the 2008 Warnambool International Cup.
2. There's always talk of the structure. It invariably depends on the number of teams.

It wouldn't be in Victoria, and unlike 2005, 2008, and 2011, it would be in one site exclusively, which means no Grand Final at Marvel/MCG.

That sounds exciting, but I don't know if i want to get my hopes up, only to be disappointed.
There really needs to be an announcement a year out if that is the case.

It wouldn't be in Victoria, and unlike 2005, 2008, and 2011, it would be in one site exclusively, which means no Grand Final at Marvel/MCG.
Well well - Very interesting statement indeed.
What is the motive behind this, and why move it from Melbourne.
Do we think it will be in a heartland State - most likely.
I have never attended a Cup -Would there be a good response from the footy public in lets say - Perth or Adelaide.
However anecdotally it seems the Internationals want to travel to Melbourne - The Home of Footy, which is a sort of stand off.

There has been no attendance in Melbourne outside of those involved with the teams.

Would there be a good response from the footy public in lets say - Perth or Adelaide.

The WAFL are keen and I'd imagine the SANFL would be keen.

However anecdotally it seems the Internationals want to travel to Melbourne

Yes, they did want to come to Melbourne but novelty has worn off so to speak.
It's not much fun playing in empty grounds. The country games have shown what can be done.

I have never attended a Cup

And there lies the problem.

There is an article on World Footy News discussing footy development in Pakistan.
A couple of things noticed - It talks about preparing players for IC2020 in Melbourne and Michael Gallus the development guy will be there in September to assist the players for IC2020.
That how I translated the story how it is written, but I maybe wrong.
The rivalry between India and Pakistan is well known and can be further developed in our game over time.

It talks about preparing players for IC2020 in Melbourne

Every country would be preparing for Melbourne until told otherwise.
Almost all people would expect it to be that way unfortunately and time is running out.

The rivalry between India and Pakistan is well known and can be further developed in our game over time.

Most definitely but there is a caveat and that is internal politics.

Well well - Very interesting statement indeed.
Do we think it will be in a heartland State - most likely.
I have never attended a Cup -Would there be a good response from the footy public in lets say - Perth or Adelaide.
However anecdotally it seems the Internationals want to travel to Melbourne - The Home of Footy, which is a sort of stand off.

My understanding is that two markets placed host bids on it, which I believe would be a first for the tournament.

I'm not sure how much I can reveal, but I can say that the other possible site is a non-traditional Aussie Rules market.

Update from WFN.

Key updates:
- Possible host venues narrowed down to two sites. Announcement of date/venues to come after AFL fixture is released in October.
- Rosters can be 28 players max. No more than eight can be playing in Australia during season 2020 (down from 12 in IC17), and no more than three can have played in Australia for five or more seasons (including 2020)
- Individual rules unchanged; Must have residency in that country of their home league from between 10 and 16 years, must be a citizen of that home country, cannot be suspended by the league the represent.
- Professional and Semi-pros can play in the International Cup (but might be restricted by their club's contract.)
- Divisions (2 men's and 1 women's as in 2017) will most likely be capped at eight teams each.

Every country would be preparing for Melbourne until told otherwise.
Almost all people would expect it to be that way unfortunately and time is running out.

Most definitely but there is a caveat and that is internal politics.

I will call it now - Brisbane. They tried Sydney a few years ago and Brisbane would be my choice, which is warmer.

India v Pakistan matches as per the Cricket are held in Neutral Venues so in this case Australia becomes the neutral venue for footy at this time in their development.

Last edited:
Kind of makes sense as a Melbourne winter is not attractive to many, including myself.

Weather has never been an issue in Melbourne.

I will call it now - Perth or Brisbane. They tried Sydney a few years ago and Brisbane would be my choice, which is warmer in September.

Too warm for football if anything.

Would have liked to see the Tenders submitted in the bids, and the WAFC is not exactly flush with funds so major sponsor/s may have been found for either bid.

I would have liked to see the "tenders" fullstop.
The strong suggestion is "non-traditional" so that means the AFL kept it in within house with AFL NSW or AFLQ.
I don't believe the WAFL was ever approached. The WAFC could have approached WA Tourism and argued a case.
The AFL is Australian money not just money for Victoria. The AFL could give the same money to the WAFL or SANFL.
The AFL shared the IC with Sydney to boost the incoming Giants. So I would suggest the money is on Metricon to boost the Suns.
Also Metricon has the best/most convenient facilities for a tournament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back